Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y heat pump issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seems like that is the issue. More details here:

In vehicles built with heat pump, the Electronic Expansion Valve (EXV) may experience controller communication interruptions, after which the EXV driver may attempt to realign the EXV rotor by rotating it in a small increment toward the open direction. When heat pump vehicles operating firmware release 2021.44 through 2021.44.30.6 experience such interruptions, the vehicle software does not close the valve, and the accumulation of interruptions and subsequent realignments over extended periods where the vehicle is awake may result in an unintended valve opening event. This, in turn, may trap refrigerant inside the evaporator and may deplete the refrigerant from the active components in the system. The depletion may result in fail-safe compressor stoppage, and cause loss of cabin heating, particularly in temperatures –10 C or colder. While the windshield defrost system continues to operate with the condition present, defrost performance may not fully comply with FMVSS 103.

• Informative
Reactions: garumaru and DrGriz
I had one of the mobile repair rangers here today to install a Homelink module. I asked about the heat pump issues and he said we had people affected in Minnesota. He said they were still working on solutions but didn’t think the majority of owners would be affected.

My car has this issue since January 20th! I waiting 2 weeks before bringing the car to the garage, in hoping that I would receive the parts within that period of time. On the 4th of February, I have asked for a rental, that I have received without problem. As of today, I am told that the parts are still not in, so I will have to extend my rental. I do understand the delays, particularly with the truckers issue blocking the bridges. What I am a bit upset about is the fact that all that time, my car is sitting in a parking lot at service waiting for parts, rather than in my garage at home. I had asked Tesla to keep the car here until they get the parts, but they refused. And on top of that, while it is at Service, I am paying for connectivity that I am not using and I cannot cancel it because it is on Service status. They could very well make this a bit more easy so that we could get the car there quickly when they received the parts. This is insane.

My car has this issue since January 20th! I waiting 2 weeks before bringing the car to the garage, in hoping that I would receive the parts within that period of time. On the 4th of February, I have asked for a rental, that I have received without problem. As of today, I am told that the parts are still not in, so I will have to extend my rental. I do understand the delays, particularly with the truckers issue blocking the bridges. What I am a bit upset about is the fact that all that time, my car is sitting in a parking lot at service waiting for parts, rather than in my garage at home. I had asked Tesla to keep the car here until they get the parts, but they refused. And on top of that, while it is at Service, I am paying for connectivity that I am not using and I cannot cancel it because it is on Service status. They could very well make this a bit more easy so that we could get the car there quickly when they received the parts. This is insane.
That is frustrating. I guess Tesla considers lack of heating a safety issue (which it is), so won't let you take your own car!

Paying for connectivity is annoying - they should at least compensate you for that. Do they pay for gas for the rental car?

That is frustrating. I guess Tesla considers lack of heating a safety issue (which it is), so won't let you take your own car!

Paying for connectivity is annoying - they should at least compensate you for that. Do they pay for gas for the rental car?
They told me they would look into it when I give them the receipts. If my car isn’t yet ready on the new ETA date, I plan to remove my credit card info from the account.

Just picked up my 2020 MY from the service center. It took them about 2 weeks to get the parts in and do the work. They ended up replacing the entire heat pump, super manifold, and associated lines. They also swapped out all the pressure and temperature sensors with the updated versions. Hopefully it's fixed for good and I don't have to worry about anymore heat issues in the future.

They told me they would look into it when I give them the receipts. If my car isn’t yet ready on the new ETA date, I plan to remove my credit card info from the account.
Quick update… Tesla has resolved my issue with the heat pump. All parts were replaced and it is working perfectly right now. I was so happy to get my car back! For the gas, they took a copy of my invoice but told me they were not sure if it would be accepted. Their logic is that I would have had to pay for the charges anyway… not quite the case as I was simply driving around and could have charged home at a less cost. It’s not much, but it’s the principle. I consider that I was being very fair with them for waiting 2 full weeks to request a rental. Oh well! Am glad all is in order here as the weather is still pretty cold For this time of the year. And… I still love Tesla and would not drive any other car… I’m simply sold!

Reactions: DrGriz
Quick update… Tesla has resolved my issue with the heat pump. All parts were replaced and it is working perfectly right now. I was so happy to get my car back! For the gas, they took a copy of my invoice but told me they were not sure if it would be accepted. Their logic is that I would have had to pay for the charges anyway… not quite the case as I was simply driving around and could have charged home at a less cost. It’s not much, but it’s the principle. I consider that I was being very fair with them for waiting 2 full weeks to request a rental. Oh well! Am glad all is in order here as the weather is still pretty cold For this time of the year. And… I still love Tesla and would not drive any other car… I’m simply sold!
They wouldn’t pay for your electricity charging at home if they loaned out an EV. Supercharging? Sure, but they own all that. And you could have driven on a road trip or some long distances - on their dime. Or have rung up the bill in some other way.

So, I would not expect them to pay for gas either. I don’t think the principle stands. It just seems like a “stick it to ‘em” fighting point while they fixed everything at no charge, and accommodated you with a rental for no charge. Same with squabbling over the ~$0.30/day for tesla connectivity.

Reactions: Jedibryan
Quick update...the parts are in but I had to reschedule for March 8th due to some scheduling issues I had and then of course, this week's bitter cold. Just drove from Helena to Butte this AM and it did OK in temps between -1 and -6.
And here's the promised update. Drove over to Spokane on Monday, March 7th, dropped off the Y at 8 AM on the 8th, David at Tesla gave me an update on remote checking they'd done and the expected work. He expected the work to take all day and it did. I picked up the car just after 5. They's pretty much replaced everything and updated the firmware. They gave me a loaner Model 3 to take downtown so I spent most of the day puttering around Riverfront Park and the falls. That's the most time I'd spent in a 3 and of course it's way similar to the Y except for the "falling" into it and climbing out. Everyone at the service center was friendly and helpful...the big news being they're moving to a more polished facility in Liberty Lake in the very near future. As near as I could tell on the trip back to Butte today in 25 to 10 degree temps it seemed to do fine. The only notable event was the most severe phantom braking event I've experienced, with the red steering wheel TAKE CONTROL IMMEDIATELY command for no obvious reason whatsoever by Bonner, east of Missoula. Road was clear, no traffic around...a complete mystery.

And here's the promised update. Drove over to Spokane on Monday, March 7th, dropped off the Y at 8 AM on the 8th, David at Tesla gave me an update on remote checking they'd done and the expected work. He expected the work to take all day and it did. I picked up the car just after 5. They's pretty much replaced everything and updated the firmware. They gave me a loaner Model 3 to take downtown so I spent most of the day puttering around Riverfront Park and the falls. That's the most time I'd spent in a 3 and of course it's way similar to the Y except for the "falling" into it and climbing out. Everyone at the service center was friendly and helpful...the big news being they're moving to a more polished facility in Liberty Lake in the very near future. As near as I could tell on the trip back to Butte today in 25 to 10 degree temps it seemed to do fine. The only notable event was the most severe phantom braking event I've experienced, with the red steering wheel TAKE CONTROL IMMEDIATELY command for no obvious reason whatsoever by Bonner, east of Missoula. Road was clear, no traffic around...a complete mystery.
Are you going to file with NTSB on the braking event?

• Funny
Reactions: jboles
Glad it worked out for you! Good they gave you a loaner. Did they give you an itemized invoice of the parts they replaced? Oddly enough, when we were coming back from Spokane last week, I had the TAKE CONTROL IMMEDIATELY one time near one of the exits (can't remember which one, but it was in Montana) scared the crap out of me. We've been to Spokane a couple of other times, but have never had the phantom braking during the trip.

That's how it was described in the press. Louver sticks open and the firmware decided that there was something wrong with the heatpump since the temps were out of spec and shutting it down. They altered the firmware to compensate for this.
This is what I made to compensate—-just in case…

Attachments

• 69069BC5-B87B-4424-A1AD-737842273B9A.jpeg
    69069BC5-B87B-4424-A1AD-737842273B9A.jpeg
    743.3 KB · Views: 103
  • CC627788-1311-41F7-A864-BD292D2E8916.jpeg
    CC627788-1311-41F7-A864-BD292D2E8916.jpeg
    419.2 KB · Views: 77
Glad it worked out for you! Good they gave you a loaner. Did they give you an itemized invoice of the parts they replaced? Oddly enough, when we were coming back from Spokane last week, I had the TAKE CONTROL IMMEDIATELY one time near one of the exits (can't remember which one, but it was in Montana) scared the crap out of me. We've been to Spokane a couple of other times, but have never had the phantom braking during the trip.
They didn't give me an itemized list. I actually ended up with fairly limited use of AP on the way back....I 90 in Idaho is terrrible and I was taking over so often to avoid potholes I simply gave up. I used it sparingly in Montana due to the recent snow on the road in some places and not too long after Bonner there was enough packed snow in the driving lane that I spent a fair amount of time in the passing lane....having to watch for folks coming up behind and then looking for reasonable spots in the driving lane to get over into while they went by.

Reactions: andaconda