Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Hitch depth

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have the factory installed hitch. I purchased a Saris 2 bike rack. The way this attaches to the hitch is with a pin and lock.
I inserted the 2" bike mount into the receiver and it fit nicely. When I went to install the pin, I realized it was too long for to be inserted from the drivers side of the hitch (next to the box with the electrical connector). It goes in easily from the other side, but then there is no room to install the lock on the other side. Right now the hole that accommodates the safety pin is right next to that box with the electrical connector and there is not enough clearance to get the pin through and attach the lock. Is there an extension that is needed? This seems like a major flaw with the design of either the hitch or the Saris rack. Has anyone else experienced this?

I have the factory installed hitch. I purchased a Saris 2 bike rack. The way this attaches to the hitch is with a pin and lock.
I inserted the 2" bike mount into the receiver and it fit nicely. When I went to install the pin, I realized it was too long for to be inserted from the drivers side of the hitch (next to the box with the electrical connector). It goes in easily from the other side, but then there is no room to install the lock on the other side. Right now the hole that accommodates the safety pin is right next to that box with the electrical connector and there is not enough clearance to get the pin through and attach the lock. Is there an extension that is needed? This seems like a major flaw with the design of either the hitch or the Saris rack. Has anyone else experienced this?
It’s not a design issue with the rack. I can tell you that much.

Racks I’ve found that work with the Y’s hitch setup:

Thule Platform
1Up EquipD

• Love
Reactions: EchoDelta
I had a similar problem with the standard locking pin for my new Kuat NV 2 rack. I contacted the company and they have an alternate hitch pin that is more accessible in terms of size and key access.
Original Lock
58D2F71F-FD72-4B3B-ABA6-169BEDDF21B7.jpeg

Alternate lock
28021809-A36F-44CC-A1AB-2AC88A6CC900.jpeg

Last edited:
I had a similar problem with the standard locking pin for my new Kuat NV 2 rack. I contacted the company and they have an alternate hitch pin that is more accessible in terms of size and key access.
Original Lock
View attachment 588332

Alternate lock
View attachment 588333

Very interesting.Yes that appears to solve the problem by having the key insert at 90º from the original design. Thanks.

Here’s a 1upUSA Equipe-D installed.

4E3B6348-97FE-44C9-9C3F-A1665C97E623.jpeg
BB3A382D-1A22-49AF-B4B3-4D9A2B2DC669.jpeg

Although the insertion is 1-7/8” a whole 1/8” short of 2” required in the installation instructions. I was rest assured that the locking pin would restrain the bike rack in any event to the receiver.

Quick review:
For bike position #1, if one adjust the tire contact spools, the arms do not lay flat; hence, cannot stow rack in the up position. Must stow at 2nd angled position. One tic against 1upUSA for flexibility. Returned it. Not my style. Looking at roof rack or something that comes on/off quick from the hitch.

Attachments

• 38E92DF0-75B8-4755-8422-7997BE96B424.jpeg
    38E92DF0-75B8-4755-8422-7997BE96B424.jpeg
    85.7 KB · Views: 207
Last edited:
Original Lock
View attachment 588332

Alternate lock
View attachment 588333

I was able to get the pin in from the left side--really tough though having to go under and behind the electrical plug. The lock fit fine on the right side. But your alternate pin would be a GREAT solution. Thanks. I will order one.

I have the Saris freedom rack and the Saris lock didn’t work like you mentioned.

was able to use the one below which looks similar to what u posted.
Master Lock 2866DATSC Swivel Head... https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0009V1WS4?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

I really liked the Saris EX 2Bike that I purchased, but there was no way to use the key because of how it was configured. This seems like a flaw with the Tesla Hitch. I found this 90º locking pin and wonder if that would work? https://www.autoanything.com/towing...140d59195eb8b8c42cd&utm_term=4580771605762769

Reactions: Koolio46

View attachment 588483 View attachment 588484

Although the insertion is 1-7/8” a whole 1/8” short of 2” required in the installation instructions. I was rest assured that the locking pin would restrain the bike rack in any event to the receiver.

Quick review:
For bike position #1, if one adjust the tire contact spools, the arms do not lay flat; hence, cannot stow rack in the up position. Must stow at 2nd angled position. One tic against 1upUSA for flexibility. Returned it. Not my style. Looking at roof rack or something that comes on/off quick from the hitch.

Those 1up racks are sweet though.

I really liked the Saris EX 2Bike that I purchased, but there was no way to use the key because of how it was configured. This seems like a flaw with the Tesla Hitch. I found this 90º locking pin and wonder if that would work? https://www.autoanything.com/towing...140d59195eb8b8c42cd&utm_term=4580771605762769
Problem will be an extremely rattley rack. If you don't screw the pin into the rack, it's really loose and noisy. I'm in the same boat with my saris superclamp.

Following up to see if any of you ended up getting your Saris rack to work with a workaround (90 deg 3rd party locking pin or other solution)? It’s been a few months so am hopeful that something might’ve worked..?

Background - I have a factory installed hitch on the Y. Was eyeing Saris Superclamp for its lighter weight and smaller footprint. Am trying to find a platform rack to hold 4 bikes (2 adult mountain+2 teen/Xs adult hybrid - total weight around 110 lbs). I’ve read through the Platform Rack thread and am aware of the issue with vertical load max. Tried the Thule Apex hanging rack but just can’t deal with wrestling 4 bikes on/off. Thanks!

It’s not a design issue with the rack. I can tell you that much.

Racks I’ve found that work with the Y’s hitch setup:

Thule Platform
1Up EquipD

Hi Glide,

Were you able to use the 1up hitch lock pin? I have the factory installed hitch and there is no way I can figure out how to lock the pin on my EquipD rack as the Electical box for trailer lights gets in the way

The rack does fit with a few millimeters when in the up position but it will rarely be stored on the MY and there is the intermediate position.

Quick review:

Quick review:

Hello,

Did you have to modify the hitch pin to remove the big 1up rubber end? Mine doesn’t fit but has a rubber end that your image doesn’t have on the driver side.

Attachments

• C29BBC1F-B931-4085-80C8-AC8D28123079.jpeg
    C29BBC1F-B931-4085-80C8-AC8D28123079.jpeg
    538 KB · Views: 163
Hi Glide,

Were you able to use the 1up hitch lock pin? I have the factory installed hitch and there is no way I can figure out how to lock the pin on my EquipD rack as the Electical box for trailer lights gets in the way

The rack does fit with a few millimeters when in the up position but it will rarely be stored on the MY and there is the intermediate position.
Yes I am able to fit the 1UP lockable hitch pin.

You need to go in from an angle above the 7 pin connector and the lock must be on the right side of the hitch.

It’s awkward at first but can be done.

Yes I am able to fit the 1UP lockable hitch pin.

You need to go in from an angle above the 7 pin connector and the lock must be on the right side of the hitch.

It’s awkward at first but can be done.

Apologies for the added question, does your lock pin have the big rubber all weather gripper like the one in my picture or just the short metal end like the picture from SoundDaTrumpet? I tried from behind the connector will try from above when I get home.

I called 1up today and in explaining my issue they asked if I had a model Y so clearly a common issue, they “indicated” the rubber grip could likely be remove like in older models.

Apologies for the added question, does your lock pin have the big rubber all weather gripper like the one in my picture or just the short metal end like the picture from SoundDaTrumpet? I tried from behind the connector will try from above when I get home.

I called 1up today and in explaining my issue they asked if I had a model Y so clearly a common issue, they “indicated” the rubber grip could likely be remove like in older models.
I’ll have to take a look. The latch pin came with my Equip-D rack.

Quick review:

That's cool to see!
You have the new slotted hitch bar, and it goes in far enough that you can pin it.
I was worried there might not be enough length.

Did you have to modify the hitch pin to remove the big 1up rubber end? Mine doesn’t fit but has a rubber end that your image doesn’t have on the driver side.

Not sure if the rubber end hitch locks are the new 1/4 turn locks like they're showing on their website, or if they're older locks from a year or 2 ago.

I just got my 1Up rack in December, and the hitch lock that came with the rack has the smaller end so it's easier to fit into the Model Y hitch space.

Hitch lock on the left, add-on locks in the middle, wheel locks on the right for reference.

Hitch-Lock.jpg