Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y INCLUDES Wireless Mobile Phone Charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As a group of people that obsess all day long about these cars, we are woefully uninformed about what the average consumer cares about. No one is going with the <insert other manufacturer here> over the Tesla because of a garage door opener. We all need to get out more.

Wireless phone charger on the other hand makes a lot more sense. Integration with your phone is probably very important to a large number of people. So they look at the cost and make a tradeoff. That's how manufacturing works.

And no one is not going to buy a Tesla because it does not have wireless charging. As evidenced by the 1 million sold. As I pointed out it is a cost saving thing. It is far cheaper to put in a weak wireless charger for 7 dollars than a Homelink system. So we agree, good.

"Even though most newer phones have wireless charging, one research report showed that only 29% of people use it."

Reactions: Electric Steve
It turns out that almost everyone has a phone, but plenty of people don't have automatic garage doors (or even a garage).

I would agree. I would also point out that I can not think of any other car manufacturer that does not include Homelink as standard equipment in any vehicle costing over 40k. If they all do it then one would think that Tesla would. It's just cost cutting...not a problem. Tesla is just looking at the bottom line, we all understand that.

And no one is not going to by a Tesla because it does not have wireless charging. As evidenced by the 1 million sold. As I pointed out it is a cost saving thing. It is far cheaper to put in a weak wireless charger for 7 dollars than a Homelink system. So we agree, good.

"Even though most newer phones have wireless charging, one research report showed that only 29% of people use it."
Last night, I left my phone on my wireless charger near my bed. Somehow it shifted, so it didn't charge at all. Fortunately, I'm WFH today so I just plugged it in and quickly got it back to 100%.

Now, in a car -- especially a car with crazy (but not ludicrous) acceleration -- does wireless charging really make sense or will my phone just move around and stop charging?

[QUOTE="Now, in a car -- especially a car with crazy (but not ludicrous) acceleration -- does wireless charging really make sense or will my phone just move around and stop charging?[/QUOTE]

In my 18 Model 3 it stays put...aftermarket wireless, but looks the same as the new factory.

Any chance the wireless charger has an on/off switch? I don't want it charging my phone every time I put my phone down there (which is every time I drive). Lot of heat build up with wireless chargers and then there's the whole thing of leaving it at 100%. I know it's only a phone battery, but I'd still like to keep it in as good of shape as possible.

Any chance the wireless charger has an on/off switch? I don't want it charging my phone every time I put my phone down there (which is every time I drive). Lot of heat build up with wireless chargers and then there's the whole thing of leaving it at 100%. I know it's only a phone battery, but I'd still like to keep it in as good of shape as possible.
I think the wireless charger plugs into one of the two USB ports, so you can always yank it out.

I would agree. I would also point out that I can not think of any other car manufacturer that does not include Homelink as standard equipment in any vehicle costing over 40k. If they all do it then one would think that Tesla would. It's just cost cutting...not a problem. Tesla is just looking at the bottom line, we all understand that.
As someone else pointed out, Tesla certainly knows just what percentage of Tesla Model 3 owners actually use Homelink. If it's small, then making it standard makes no sense.

Reactions: Airgetlam
As someone else pointed out, Tesla certainly knows just what percentage of Tesla Model 3 owners actually use Homelink. If it's small, then making it standard makes no sense.

Following that logic the rear heated seats will be going away...maybe the entire rear seat. And since few use the frunk on a regular basis because of the problem with closing it...bye-bye frunk. ;)

If someone has a garage they will use it, if not they won't. No one is going to put a clicker button on the visor if they don't have to.

Were you able to come up with another manufacturer that does not have Homelink in cars above 40k? Strange if they all have it and no one use it. I am surprised that they do not know that it is not a useful feature. I am sure that there might be a few I am just unaware of them.

As an aside, I wonder how many actually put the split seat down? Maybe they could save more money by not including it. Or making it a one piece rear seat fold. Hey, have I seen that seat latch somewhere else? Maybe grandmother's back gate?:) $4.80 from Home Depot

All in good fun, don't get upset fanboys. Just smile.
2020_03_18_Seat_Latch (2).jpg
2020_03_18_Seat_Latch_Lowes.jpg

Last edited: