Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y issues 2 weeks after delivery

is your Model Y experience great after you bought the car?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dont get me wrong. i am not writing to compalin but just letting folks know that while i am super happy with the Y and the fact that i was among the first set of owners to get a Model Y in ON, Canada, the problems are irritating at best

I hate the fact that i have to give the car to the workshop even for a day

the fact is that the window trim all the way from the front passenger to the end of the trunk on both sides is badly tarnished like its oxidized or spoilt
when i tried cleaning the car on the inside the seats were fine with the leather polish, but when i used the dash and vinyl cleaner on the centre console, the window arm rest and the handle, the glove box and the back of the seat - all of these have a bad after cleaning effect like the polish or the material has come off. Its the Simoniz brand from Canadian Tire which is really not harsh at all
The mobile service guy came in today but couldnt fix either and now end of the month i have to take the car in to see what they can do for the interior. thye have only confirmed that they will replace the outside window strips all the way around on both sides

A great car with super tech but annoying glitches like these make the experience less satisfyiing

...but when i used the dash and vinyl cleaner on the centre console, the window arm rest and the handle, the glove box and the back of the seat - ....

Manual

0lDbr0u.png

Test a hidden area first.....

Reactions: Oak541Y
I wouldn't be putting any chemicals on the surfaces in the car and especially not own-brand Cdn Tire stuff like Simoniz - that's asking for trouble. A damp cloth should be your starting point. Kudos to Tesla service that they're trying to help but really if you ignored the manual and sprayed stuff on the interior car surfaces I don't quite see how they're at fault. I had a Model 3 for 2 years and 90,000km through two winters - no issues with cleaning it at all but definitely didn't spray stuff all over the interior, I'm not sure there's a need (of course Simoniz will tell you there is....).

On the exterior trim, have you been through a carwash by any chance? If you use a program with spray-on wax it's very likely the reason you have marks - that stuff is nasty. It also gunks up the glass which I hate.

Your best bet may be to find a detailer and get them to clean all this off, inside and out. Then choose cleaning supplies carefully, if you even need them, for cleaning going forward.

Good luck!

• Disagree
Reactions: Reborn and HarleyW
I wouldn't be putting any chemicals on the surfaces in the car and especially not own-brand Cdn Tire stuff like Simoniz - that's asking for trouble. A damp cloth should be your starting point. Kudos to Tesla service that they're trying to help but really if you ignored the manual and sprayed stuff on the interior car surfaces I don't quite see how they're at fault. I had a Model 3 for 2 years and 90,000km through two winters - no issues with cleaning it at all but definitely didn't spray stuff all over the interior, I'm not sure there's a need (of course Simoniz will tell you there is....).

On the exterior trim, have you been through a carwash by any chance? If you use a program with spray-on wax it's very likely the reason you have marks - that stuff is nasty. It also gunks up the glass which I hate.

Your best bet may be to find a detailer and get them to clean all this off, inside and out. Then choose cleaning supplies carefully, if you even need them, for cleaning going forward.

Good luck!
Thanx, they looked at my exterior trim and said clearly it was faulty and they needed to change it.i am waiting to get the car ceramic detailed inside and out but cant till this gets fixed
yes i use touchless car wash but rest of the car had no issues. i hear you about the interior but i have driven 14 different cars before tesla - Audi, BMW, Cadillac included but never had this kind of reaction so a bit disappointed. its a car but i guess its more like a baby

Thanx, they looked at my exterior trim and said clearly it was faulty and they needed to change it.i am waiting to get the car ceramic detailed inside and out but cant till this gets fixed
yes i use touchless car wash but rest of the car had no issues. i hear you about the interior but i have driven 14 different cars before tesla - Audi, BMW, Cadillac included but never had this kind of reaction so a bit disappointed. its a car but i guess its more like a baby

Great that they'll replace the trim - it's quick and easy to do so not much lost to make you happy. Good stuff.

As for the touchless wash, I do use them - it's unavoidable with our winter - but I just use the basic program so it doesn't spray that horrid spray-wax all over the car. I'd recommend that approach - give the car a good wash and wax by hand before the winter and in spring, use the basic touchless throughout the winter to wash off most of the salt and crap.

MY Door Trim Discoloration

More info on the touchless carwash issues and some possible remedies for the discoloration.

Yep and the message there is clear - it's from touchless washes - if you have to use them don't choose the programs that spray that horrid spray-wax.

For others not wanting to read all the pages of that thread, people removed the spray-wax and solved the issue with stainless steel cleaner or WD-40.

Thanks for saving me from endless scrolling! I actually just had this happen after the service center sent my car off for re-painting the doors. I assume it was run through a car wash as this is the first time I noticed the discoloration.