Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Key FOB

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My fob came today and I just set it up. Does anyone know, if you have both fob and phone, and leave one in the car, will the doors lock? Sometimes I'd like to leave my phone in the glovebox, or maybe I don't want to carry the fob with me.
If you walk away with your phone in the car & carrying the fob the car will not lock. I have not tried vice versa but I’m guessing it would work the same.

Reactions: FasterBlaster
So aside from the Frunk open function, is there any other advantage to the FOB and the ring over just using your phone?

Besides the easier & quicker frunk & trunk opening (and closing) feature, you obviously don't need to rely on your phone's BT connection or reception in spotty areas, and like your phone you can just leave the key fob in your bag or pocket as it has "comfort access" to unlock & lock your doors when you approach & walk away from the car.

The other convenience thing is when you park in building and you constantly have to give a parking attendant your car keys. Giving them the key fob makes it easier for them and easier for you. Sure you can give them the card in a keychain card holder, but with as many Tesla cars out there (especially in the LA area), that could easily mean 30+ Tesla key cards in the parking attendant's lock box at any given time. With a key fob, it's more identifiable and easier to 'grab & go' when you or they need it.

That's probably more of nice feature to have but isn't needed, especially for the cost of the fob, but it can matter to some people. While I do give my key fob to the parking attendant at my work in DTLA, and it's been really convenient to just see & grab my key from the box, I mostly utilize the fob for the quick trunk & frunk open & closing than wasting time going into the slow-loading app.

I think I bought a $150 trunk opener, especially if I can't leave either the fob or the phone in the car. For me the trunk is really the main selling point, since the app takes way too long if you're walking out of a store with your hands full for instance. I don't use the frunk.
You can leave your phone in the car, but it just doesn’t auto lock. If I leave my phone in the glove box I simply push the top of the car key fob and it will lock the vehicle. Still works great just the auto lock doesn’t work if your phone is in the car with Bluetooth on. However, if you turn Bluetooth off and leave your phone in the car, the auto lock feature will work.

Reactions: FasterBlaster
You can leave your phone in the car, but it just doesn’t auto lock. If I leave my phone in the glove box I simply push the top of the car key fob and it will lock the vehicle. Still works great just the auto lock doesn’t work if your phone is in the car with Bluetooth on. However, if you turn Bluetooth off and leave your phone in the car, the auto lock feature will work.
Got it, thanks for that info.

If you walk away with your phone in the car & carrying the fob the car will not lock. I have not tried vice versa but I’m guessing it would work the same.
You can just hit the lock/unlock button once to lock the vehicle with your phone in it. I got the key fob because I leave my phone in my car while at work. No issues with using the key fob in this manner.

You can leave your phone in the car, but it just doesn’t auto lock. If I leave my phone in the glove box I simply push the top of the car key fob and it will lock the vehicle.

This is correct. You just have to manually lock the car with the key fob when leaving. I do this all the time when I'm streaming SiriusXM from my phone but don't feel like taking it with me. However, you can walk up to the car with the key fob in your pocket and the 'comfort access' will unlock the car when you're in proximity of it.

My only advice is if you leave your phone in the car often, and it's linked as a key to your car, I would suggest enabling the PIN to drive feature as a precaution.