Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Long Range Rear Wheel Drive (LR RWD)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone know when they'll make a Model Y Long Range RWD? My wife does not need the AWD (we live in Texas so no snow) and she drives conservatively (slowly) so she doesn't need the performance. The electric car upgrade from her sluggish SUV will be enough. She also will most certainly have range anxiety, so I've been patiently waiting for production of the Model Y Long Range Real Wheel Drive model, which by now will probably have 350 miles plus of range. She can't figure out the Enhance Auto Pilot - Navigate on Autopilot or Summon features of my Model 3, so I'm not interested in getting her FSD. I want to get a white Model Y for her and be done with it. I learned my lesson that I should wait because I bought a LEMR in Dec 2018 to get the $7500 tax credit. But by Spring of the following year, I could've gotten a LR Model 3, taken the $3750 tax credit and been better off. Thus, I was not an early adopter for her. But this wait is killing me - meaning she wants her new car.

Any updates?!? Thanks!!!

It’s been radio silence since about July. Elon tweeted something about it coming in a few months but no official news from Tesla since. I had my reservation for RWD since July 2019 and finally got impatient and upgraded. With the new California rebate it works out to $500 more than the $48k the AWD was priced at so It was almost negligible to upgrade.

Reactions: seangoggin
Ordered one, does not mean, that configuration will be made. Remember when the ordering page opened two years ago they had only RWD and if you had chosen that, as I did, the configuration page has not changed. That doesn't mean it will be made.

Did Musk say there will be RWD in LR?

Ordered one, does not mean, that configuration will be made. Remember when the ordering page opened two years ago they had only RWD and if you had chosen that, as I did, the configuration page has not changed. That doesn't mean it will be made.

Did Musk say there will be RWD in LR?

I thought AWD was also available for ordering back then? It was in the original announcement: Elon Musk just announced the new Tesla Model Y

As to Musk saying it, his most recent comments were in July this year:
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1282499399562588160 - "We have reduced pricing on Model Y LR dual motor & will offer a LR single motor Y in a few months, which improves affordability, while still keeping the product excellent" (this was in response to whether a standard range would be available)

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1282499968331218944 - "Doing range testing now. Number will be significantly higher than 300. Extremely good for any EV, especially an SUV."

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1282499968331218944 - "Doing range testing now. Number will be significantly higher than 300. Extremely good for any EV, especially an SUV."

Yes, that's why I'm waiting. I want the better range for her. Sounds like the price won't drop more than $1,000-$2,000 to go from AWD to RWD though. It's still a pandemic so it is not like we've been driving much working from home, etc. So the wait hasn't been too bad. I guess Elon will release the LR RWD when demand for the higher priced AWD starts to slip. I don't yet see any evidence of that yet...

Reactions: Dadiggaman
Yes, that's why I'm waiting. I want the better range for her. Sounds like the price won't drop more than $1,000-$2,000 to go from AWD to RWD though. It's still a pandemic so it is not like we've been driving much working from home, etc. So the wait hasn't been too bad. I guess Elon will release the LR RWD when demand for the higher priced AWD starts to slip. I don't yet see any evidence of that yet...

Yeah, I get the feeling they thought it would be needed in Q4 to meet delivery targets, but ended up being unnecessary. That would make Q1 likely, as Q1 is typically a really slow quarter for Tesla.

Yeah, I get the feeling they thought it would be needed in Q4 to meet delivery targets, but ended up being unnecessary. That would make Q1 likely, as Q1 is typically a really slow quarter for Tesla.

I have a feeling that the 7 seat delay also has something to do with plenty of demand for the 5 seat version. Why change the ordering page when they don’t need to? It could just complicate their logistics for the EOY push, especially if current orders decide to change to the new option(s).

Hmm.. now reading through all those tweets I am wondering if I should have waited for LR RWD - the range increase is very tempting.

I am picking the LR AWD Red Model Y in a few days. As excited as I am for that, after having waited for nearly two years, perhaps another quarter wait would get me the RWD? Too late now..

• Disagree
Reactions: Sunshine State
Hmm.. now reading through all those tweets I am wondering if I should have waited for LR RWD - the range increase is very tempting.

I am picking the LR AWD Red Model Y in a few days. As excited as I am for that, after having waited for nearly two years, perhaps another quarter wait would get me the RWD? Too late now..

Yeah, but that's always the case. Waiting another 6-12 months will often get you another 5% or so of range.

Anyone know when they'll make a Model Y Long Range RWD? My wife does not need the AWD (we live in Texas so no snow) and she drives conservatively (slowly) so she doesn't need the performance. The electric car upgrade from her sluggish SUV will be enough. She also will most certainly have range anxiety, so I've been patiently waiting for production of the Model Y Long Range Real Wheel Drive model, which by now will probably have 350 miles plus of range. She can't figure out the Enhance Auto Pilot - Navigate on Autopilot or Summon features of my Model 3, so I'm not interested in getting her FSD. I want to get a white Model Y for her and be done with it. I learned my lesson that I should wait because I bought a LEMR in Dec 2018 to get the $7500 tax credit. But by Spring of the following year, I could've gotten a LR Model 3, taken the $3750 tax credit and been better off. Thus, I was not an early adopter for her. But this wait is killing me - meaning she wants her new car.

Any updates?!? Thanks!!!
I know Elon is a busy guy but an announcement should have happened to address the people who signed up for the MY LR/RWD car. I am among the many who put down $2500 to reserve this car, not because it was the cheapest but because it seemed best for my needs. Waiting over 1 1/2 years without anything but comments from Elon doesn't seem fair or even a good business practice. My enthusiasm has suffered to a point where I'm not looking forward to the car like I was a year ago. Guess that would change if I just knew the plan.

I know Elon is a busy guy but an announcement should have happened to address the people who signed up for the MY LR/RWD car. I am among the many who put down $2500 to reserve this car, not because it was the cheapest but because it seemed best for my needs. Waiting over 1 1/2 years without anything but comments from Elon doesn't seem fair or even a good business practice. My enthusiasm has suffered to a point where I'm not looking forward to the car like I was a year ago. Guess that would change if I just knew the plan.

I don't have $2500 tied up like you do in a deposit, so that would make me even more upset. Being that a $2500 investment in Tesla stock at that same time is probably now worth $25,000.

I can't believe I'm so anxious to spend $50k...