Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Long Range Rear Wheel Drive (LR RWD)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They just migrated my LR RWD Model Y order to AWD while keeping original FSD sticker price. But something is fishy! They didn’t tell me before they changed my order and they placed the AWD at 51k when it’s currently 49,990.
So if I understand correctly you got the price for both the car and FSD as it was in effect when you originally placed your order? That's completely fair to me, it would not have made sense to be able to pick and choose between the prices for both in effect on different dates.

Though of course they should have told you the total number before you agreed to anything. I would have insisted on that before agreeing to anything (in writing/email).

Reactions: dyau and DanDi58
So if I understand correctly you got the price for both the car and FSD as it was in effect when you originally placed your order? That's completely fair to me, it would not have made sense to be able to pick and choose between the prices for both in effect on different dates.

Though of course they should have told you the total number before you agreed to anything. I would have insisted on that before agreeing to anything (in writing/email).
That makes sense, I’m also wondering if the officially cancelled the car as well. Tesla didn’t officially say anything and that’s why them changing my order seems strange.

Your unrequested migration to AWD is the only one I've heard of. My LR RWD order is still intact.

They just migrated my LR RWD Model Y order to AWD while keeping original FSD sticker price. But something is fishy! They didn’t tell me before they changed my order and they placed the AWD at 51k when it’s currently 49,990. Anyone else have this happen and given Tesla has no ethics when it comes to customer service... I suspect they will release the LR RWD later but are attempting to force reservation holders out of their orders.

I too have a LR RWD res, from March 17, 2019. I stopped by the dealership yesterday here in Pittsburgh. The sales rep that helped me looked up my res number and said that based on something she saw in the computer, she interpreted as there not being a VIN produced for my res until 2022. I'm not going to hold anyone to that sort of date, but it indicates that there are no current plans to start production anytime soon. It's possible that means they're waiting until Texas plant is operational. She confirmed that I could bump to a SR RWD or LR AWD. I asked about my $5k FSD, but she said she wasn't sure how that was being handled and that the person that could likely answer that question wasn't working this weekend. I'm supposed to get an answer on Monday. I'll post an update once I know more.

Reactions: seangoggin
Quick update. Just got off the phone with Tesla, and they confirmed I could move to an AWD LR and keep my $5k FSD. The only bump that I could tell was that I still have to pay $1500 for my Midnight Gray instead of the current $1000. In the end, if her math is correct, the cost increase of my change will be only $790. She's going to confirm everything with me later today and hopes that I'll have a VIN by March.

Reactions: seangoggin
Quick update. Just got off the phone with Tesla, and they confirmed I could move to an AWD LR and keep my $5k FSD. The only bump that I could tell was that I still have to pay $1500 for my Midnight Gray instead of the current $1000. In the end, if her math is correct, the cost increase of my change will be only $790. She's going to confirm everything with me later today and hopes that I'll have a VIN by March.
Most people are reporting that Tesla is also requiring them to use the AWD price at the time of their reservation. Their logic seems to be that they will honor your reserved FSD price if you honor the AWD price at the time of your reservation. Can you check and confirm this?

Most people are reporting that Tesla is also requiring them to use the AWD price at the time of their reservation. Their logic seems to be that they will honor your reserved FSD price if you honor the AWD price at the time of your reservation. Can you check and confirm this?

I really hope I can do that! In my country they increased AWD pricing on Feb of last year.. I've been trying to get a hold of my sales rep all day to see if I can get them to offer me AWD upgrade pricing of when I made the reservation (plus same FSD cost of course) but no luck yet =\ Im worried if they really officialy cancel LR RWD that they just reimburse the deposit and that you need to make a new order with current pricing, if that happens I would sadly had turn to another car brand (cant justify the extra ~250k MXN/12k USD just for a RWD->AWD upgrade, vs a 90k MXN/4500usd upgrade if I can get them to offer me the pricing of my reservation date)

I really hope I can do that! In my country they increased AWD pricing on Feb of last year.. I've been trying to get a hold of my sales rep all day to see if I can get them to offer me AWD upgrade pricing of when I made the reservation (plus same FSD cost of course) but no luck yet =\ Im worried if they really officialy cancel LR RWD that they just reimburse the deposit and that you need to make a new order with current pricing, if that happens I would sadly had turn to another car brand (cant justify the extra ~250k MXN/12k USD just for a RWD->AWD upgrade, vs a 90k MXN/4500usd upgrade if I can get them to offer me the pricing of my reservation date)

Wow I hadn't even considered this possibility... Would Tesla jeopardize their brand name and customer service image by canceling people's reservations carte blanche? I would certainly hope not.. I would certainly hope that they would offer switch to another model with locked-in pricing at the time reservation was made... I remain hopeful that Tesla can provide some additional guidance through a public forum, or that someone on this forum can find a definitive answer to these questions

I can confirm that. My sales agreement is for $51k base price, not the $49990 that is the current base price of LR AWD. I paid an extra $500 for the paint color ($1500 vs $1000), but keep my FSD at $5k. In the end I come out ahead by $3500 as compared to if I'd cancelled and purchased on my own. If not for FSD, I'd have been better off cancelling and ordering without my reservation number.

I too have a LR RWD res, from March 17, 2019. I stopped by the dealership yesterday here in Pittsburgh. The sales rep that helped me looked up my res number and said that based on something she saw in the computer, she interpreted as there not being a VIN produced for my res until 2022. I'm not going to hold anyone to that sort of date, but it indicates that there are no current plans to start production anytime soon. It's possible that means they're waiting until Texas plant is operational. She confirmed that I could bump to a SR RWD or LR AWD. I asked about my $5k FSD, but she said she wasn't sure how that was being handled and that the person that could likely answer that question wasn't working this weekend. I'm supposed to get an answer on Monday. I'll post an update once I know more.

Thank you for sharing all of this valuable information on this forum... If possible could you please verify if your sales rep can confirm that LR RWD will start production sometime in 2022?

Thank you for sharing all of this valuable information on this forum... If possible could you please verify if your sales rep can confirm that LR RWD will start production sometime in 2022?
There's no way to confirm that. She only interpreted what she saw in the computer as a sign that production isn't expected this year. I think everyone knows these are just best guesses based on current data. I made my decision of changing knowing there no way I could emotionally take waiting that long. Even if it got pushed up to late this year, I think I'd implode.

• Love
Reactions: ahanorcal
If I had a reservation for a LR RWD MY and no longer wanted to wait to see if Tesla ever builds this version I would switch to the LR AWD MY at the current price ($49,990 USD). I would hold off on purchasing FSD. Tesla is rumored to be moving to a subscription based model for FSD.

Guys, my 0.02 here.
If you have to, buy the LR AWD, but not the FSD.
I also had a MY LR RWD reservation since 2019 and spent a lot of time debating whether or not to stick with my $6K FSD option.
In December I decided to give up on the reservation and switched to the AWD with no FSD.
I still got a 3 month trial of the FSD which ended up being perfect. It showed me that they have a long long way to go.
I do not regret at all the decision I made.