Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Vehicle Police Chase

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just wish that Tesla could be contacted and use a remote kill switch to stop safely this type of chase.
Or at least, trace in realtime the GPS location of the vehicle, especially in the case of a stolen car.

Imagine such near collision (1:40) in the case of a Cybetruck:

Model Y LR Police Chase  .jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Mike1080i
I just wish that Tesla could be contacted and use a remote kill switch to stop safely this type of chase.
I don't. That's a slippery slope. I haven't watched the video nor do I know any details of this particular story but I'd be willing to guess that the person responsible for this situation isn't a first time offender. They never are.

If we did a better job of keeping people off of the streets who have demonstrated a propensity for this type of activity then such draconian measures wouldn't be necessary.

We wouldn't have to give up any more of our freedom in an overly aggressive attempt to combat people like this that we already know to be a dangerous threat to an otherwise civilized society.

If your car is stolen, assuming your phone is not in the car, you can go into the app and enable speed limit mode and lower the max speed down to 50mph. Wont bring the car to a stop, but they wont outrun the police either.

I'm glad they don't have this. Things like this end up being abused by the company and governments.

There should be some kind of civil right protection, but as soon as a car is reported stolen
or the police starts a chase and can look at the license plate, such capability should be enabled.

There is an Amber Alert already existing, and could be extended, such as alerting all the cars located
near a Police chase, so the drivers could then pull over and the traffic light could be locked to red in all directions.

Last edited:
There should be some kind of civil right protection, but as soon as a car is reported stolen
or the police starts a chase and can look at the license plate, such capability should be enabled.

There is an Amber Alert already existing, and could be extended, such as alerting all the cars located
near a Police chase, so the drivers could then pull over and the traffic light could be locked to red in all directions.
In a perfect world, maybe that would work. Unfortunately, we don't live in that world. I can't imagine living in a city that has 'police chase' alerts, my phone/car would be getting multiple of these a day!

The effect of over-alerting people is they simply turn those alerts off. We see it all the time with amber alerts and covid exposure alerts. People just turn them off. Also, the way police chases go with many quick changes of direction means most of the alerts would be useless by the time the drivers got them.

Or at least, trace in realtime the GPS location of the vehicle, especially in the case of a stolen car.

Imagine such near collision (1:40) in the case of a Cybetruck:

View attachment 1058558
they do this in Japan...but it's a totalitarian government....as good an idea as that would be, that would be over abused by fed/state/local governments, and dirty cops. how about we stop letting repeat criminals out on RESTORATIVE JUSTICE....and not have the rest of us drive and have the car disabled remotely for going 10 miles an hour over, or getting shut down cause erroneously your plate matches one reported..we've already seen rights trickled away,,,do not give anyone the option over the car

they do this in Japan...but it's a totalitarian government....as good an idea as that would be, that would be over abused by fed/state/local governments, and dirty cops. how about we stop letting repeat criminals out on RESTORATIVE JUSTICE....and not have the rest of us drive and have the car disabled remotely for going 10 miles an hour over, or getting shut down cause erroneously your plate matches one reported..we've already seen rights trickled away,,,do not give anyone the option over the car

I understand your point, and solving the root cause would be a better solution.

There will be always bad apples in a basket, both on the criminal than the police side.

However I think that protecting the life of innocent people should be a top priority.

• Disagree
Reactions: Dangaurd_Ace

There will be always bad apples in a basket, both on the criminal than the police side.

However I think that protecting the life of innocent people should be a top priority.
How much of our freedom should we hand over to the government before you feel safe & secure?

Just curious have you served in the military, law enforcement, first responder?

I would be very very careful with your response, that is EXACTLY what an individual in the 30s did to try and keep people safe..

@Watts_Up do not think of a second, I'm attacking your ego, thoughts, rights or beliefs...and yes in a perfect harmonic society, the powers that be should be able to (as they do here in Japan) see you driving dangerously, shut the car down...but in the US we've seen for decades what government/enforcement has done in the name of safety!!!!! politicians and acronym enforcement agencies will abuse power.
if you remember back in 2016 the husband and wife shooters in California went on a rampage, and the FBI demanded that apple unlock their phones...no warrant, just cause I said...sure there's some possible life saving info on there, but also, setting a precedent where well, I asked, so we can peek in your mail....

Reactions: fsb1 and nate704
Status
Not open for further replies.