Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Owner Calls Police on Rivian Driver Using Supercharger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Rivian owner made an excellent point:

[The Rivian owner] asked Tesla drivers if they had received any notification from Tesla about opening up Superchargers to non-Teslas.

Tesla should send out an email explaining that other cars can use Tesla superchargers now. Best to do it before an ugly situation develops rather than after. I don't think the Tesla owner who called the police was stupid, they were just uninformed.

Tesla might even be able to inform Tesla owners at chargers when non-Teslas are using the same charging location. Eventually this will all work out but I hope Tesla steps up to ease the transition.

Also note that the aftermarket adapter did not work for the Rivian. That’s what he gets for being impatient.

And that Tesla owner… a typical Karen.
Is it possible that the Rivian owner had a functional CCS adapter but tried to use it on a non-compliant Supercharger? My understanding is that only V3 Superchargers are currently capable of charging non-Tesla vehicles through the use of the NACS-to-CCS adapter. The article about the Tesla owner calling the police isn't clear on where this happened, nor exactly what type of Supercharger was being used.

edit: I did some digging and think I've found the Rivian owner's post which probably lead to the PCMag article:

The Solana Beach Supercharger appears to allow CCS vehicles to charge with the appropriate adapter:

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H and Acps110
Also note that the aftermarket adapter did not work for the Rivian. That’s what he gets for being impatient.

Official or not, that should have worked regardless of the official status of the adapter, given that other people have used unofficial adapters before on eligible cars and that they're passive. There could have been a variety of reasons as to why charging did not work that isn't tied to the adapter.

This is separate from the issue of whether you should be using such an adapter in the first place, even if it works.

We've known that at a lot of Supercharger locations, the signage says something that is not as exclusive, like "30 minute general parking" or things like that, where the business owners can't block off access to those spaces exclusively to Teslas. But in some other locations, it does say "Tesla vehicle charging only", as in this case.

Tesla should have been aware that this is part and parcel of ONE project. At each location where they are opening this up for other brands to use the chargers, they need to send someone with a wrench to remove those signs that explicitly tell people that other brands of cars are NOT allowed to use them. When they opened those locations, they have now made those signs incorrect, and they need to remove them!

A Rivian owner bought my Tesla adapter for $30 on Offer Up. Can a Rivian use a Tesla adapter? Or maybe he owns a Tesla but drove the Rivian?

My post said I would accept trades but he just gave me the full asking price. And he drove an hour from San Bernadino to Irvine to get it which is like 1 hour. I have no idea why he came that far for a Tesla adapter but he offered $30 so I just said come and get it. Hopefully it was on the way for his commute.