Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y LR RWD is dead, configuration update required by 12/16

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm in the LR RWD reservation boat as well. One of the things that really irks me about how they handled this is the timing of it (believe me...the lack of communication, the lack of offering any special discount, etc all really bother me) is that they have made 2x $1K price increases within the last month on the AWD and Performance variants. If they knew they were not going to make this vehicle, ask the patient LR RWD reservation holders to convert the order a month ago before they made the price increases.

I ordered mine on 10/30/19 so had $6K FSD price. I've never had any communication from Tesla about converting the order until the email came yesterday. I clicked on the Update Design button to see what the new price is and mine goes up $15K just to go from RWD to AWD and without changing anything else. Part of it is due to the increase in AWD price, part due to increase in FSD, plus when I ordered the standard wheel configuration was black so they previously converted it to Induction without an upcharge.

I called the 1-800 number on Monday when I saw headlines that Tesla officially canceled the LR RWD variant. I got transferred to someone I suspect was a local delivery advisor and she put me on hold while she checked with her manager...came back on the line about 5 minutes later and basically said I'm sorry...update or we will refund the deposit. I asked to speak to someone higher up in management and was promised a call back by the end of the day which never occurred.

There was this post earlier this year about them honoring the original FSD price: Model Y LR RWD - Existing Orders - FAQ's

Everyone indicated it couldn't/wouldn't be done but sounded like you had to make enough noise and get in touch with the right people.

If I were to put in a new order today at today's pricing (which is essentially what they are asking RWD FSD holders to do), it would be much different (get rid of FSD, choose gray paint at no charge vs red, drop the 7 seat configuration, go with Performance for $5K more than AWD instead of paying the $2K for Induction wheels). At this point, if they are not going to provide any incentive or credit for our patience, I'll just cancel the reservation.
I don’t know that we’ll end up making any headway but if you register your protest and keep protesting while at the same time updating your order before it is canceled Elon may make it right by the time delivery rolls around. If not, cancel then. If you cancel now you won’t have any opportunity, however small, to get it handled properly.

I was willing to buy the long range RWD Y at my mid 2019 price and could have waited much longer for it. Might even pay the extra few thousand for AWD verses RWD, but with a $14,000 price increase the answer from me is now NO. Fortunately, there are other compelling EVs available with options that make the cars more comfortable for me. The SC network is not a consideration for me, because we already have a Model X so this car would have been for mostly local driving anyways. Looks like my next car will not be a Tesla after all.

I don’t know that we’ll end up making any headway but if you register your protest and keep protesting while at the same time updating your order before it is canceled Elon may make it right by the time delivery rolls around. If not, cancel then. If you cancel now you won’t have any opportunity, however small, to get it handled properly.
But if you cancel then, what you can do next? Place a new order and wait for another half year? I think this solution only works if you have the backup plan.
Anyway, I agree that at least we should not cancel now, as a (most likely meaningless) prove that we are in this group. I would like to contact customer service but not quite sure how to start and what could get from that. Regarding updating configuration, I will probably do it the last day in hope that something could change (risk: maybe price further increases this week; reason: if update now and there would be any benefit later, Tesla may not give such benefit to whoever already updated)

But if you cancel then, what you can do next? Place a new order and wait for another half year? I think this solution only works if you have the backup plan.
Anyway, I agree that at least we should not cancel now, as a (most likely meaningless) prove that we are in this group. I would like to contact customer service but not quite sure how to start and what could get from that. Regarding updating configuration, I will probably do it the last day in hope that something could change (risk: maybe price further increases this week; reason: if update now and there would be any benefit later, Tesla may not give such benefit to whoever already updated)
If you would otherwise accept the AWD for delivery next year sometime if the pricing was accommodated then you don't really lose anything by hanging on to the order and seeing what happens. You can cancel your order for a refund anytime you want. Maybe you walk away, maybe you decide to pay the inflated price, or maybe they work with you in the end and do what is right. If you cancel now you start all over with nothing to work with.

I may bail at some point and buy another 3. Maybe I let it play out and see what they do. I don't need the car for a year and half, but I would take the Y early if it's a reasonable outcome.

If you would otherwise accept the AWD for delivery next year sometime if the pricing was accommodated then you don't really lose anything by hanging on to the order and seeing what happens. You can cancel your order for a refund anytime you want. Maybe you walk away, maybe you decide to pay the inflated price, or maybe they work with you in the end and do what is right. If you cancel now you start all over with nothing to work with.

I may bail at some point and buy another 3. Maybe I let it play out and see what they do. I don't need the car for a year and half, but I would take the Y early if it's a reasonable outcome.
No, if you accept new pricing means you lost your rights. You are at the mercy of Tesla. Based on the way they came back to us asking for new pricing after 2 years, I expect a very little from Tesla. I will be taking them to arbitration process.

I think it is fair to ask them to charge the AWD price at the time of our order.

Reactions: mwdietertg
No, if you accept new pricing means you lost your rights. You are at the mercy of Tesla. Based on the way they came back to us asking for new pricing after 2 years, I expect a very little from Tesla. I will be taking them to arbitration process.

I think it is fair to ask them to charge the AWD price at the time of our order.
Emailed the support they won’t do that

I just glanced at the order confirmation document that Tesla provided when I submitted the order in 2019. Obviously it was written by Tesla attorneys so will favor them and I noticed this section in it:
"No Resellers; Discontinuation; Cancellation. Tesla and its affiliates sell cars directly to end-consumers, and we may unilaterally cancel any order that we believe has been made with a view toward resale of the Vehicle or that has otherwise been made in bad faith. We may also cancel your pre-order and refund your Pre-Order Payment if we discontinue a product, feature or option after the time you place your pre-order or if we determine that you are acting in bad faith."

I'm not an attorney but it doesn't appear that Tesla has violated any contractual agreement to LR RWD reservation holders. In reality, the only thing they are guilty of is poor form with the way they have handled these orders, communication since the orders, and lack of any incentive to convert the order.

As a shareholder, the decision to cancel the LR RWD makes sense from a business standpoint...maximize profits based on the available manufacturing capacity and current product demand. From an ethical standpoint it sucks the way they are treating the LR RWD reservation holders...I believe corporations have an ethical obligation to do the right thing. I can't imagine the number of LR RWD reservation holders still waiting around with a $2500 deposit held by Tesla is a very large number. If they were to honor the AWD and FSD pricing based on the time those orders were placed, I doubt it would not have a significant impact to their bottom line.

My guess is whatever they do (or don't do) with this small group will set precedence for what will happen when the Cybertruck reservations are ready to convert to an order. I have $7K FSD configuration deposits for both the dual and tri motor options. The LR RWD experience gives me zero confidence that the Cybertruck will be delivered at the price points previously touted. At the same time, I do feel that a $2500 deposit shows more commitment from the consumer than the $100 CT one. I can't imagine being one of the initial 1000 Roadster orders that had to wire Tesla $250K and wait and wonder if it will ever be built.

Reactions: house9
Guess that 2019 price ship has sailed. Cars have gone up significantly in price since your original configuration. Inflation is real.

Upside is that their cars have had many improvements in technology, construction and features since your original order. Dual pane windows, faster charging, better battery chemistry, newer wheels and tires, stereo, computer etc.

Understand your desire to get your 2019 pricing extended to a newer configuration, but that is not the way Tesla works. If you change your configuration you will get the current pricing as well.

People that put down a deposit on a CyberTruck will face the same decisions. Many wanted the cheapest configuration, but it will be some time (if ever) that such a car will come down the line. If they want to take delivery of their Tesla, they will need to pay the price as configured.

Understand your desire to get your 2019 pricing extended to a newer configuration, but that is not the way Tesla works. If you change your configuration you will get the current pricing as well.
It has always been my understanding that any change to my order would result in order pricing changing to current pricing and therefore as a LR RWD reservation holder, I have not made any changes to the reservation. We are no longer carpooling so the 7 seat configuration is no longer needed (and the rear seat area is much more cramped than I expected). At the same time, I really don't have the need for AWD and didn't want to switch the configuration to an AWD or a 5 seat config as I knew that would result in changes to the pricing.

Reality is in the present, 2+ years after the order was placed, I have the benefit of hindsight. FSD is far from autonomous: $6K is a price I may pay for it on the hopes that future benefit will match the price. $10K is too high on it especially knowing that a monthly option is available for it. 4680s are likely in the Y in the not so distant future...order now and no guarantee your order will be delivered with 4680s. Tax credits for Teslas and an even larger credit for other union-built options are on the horizon. In the present day, I have more options available in the EV space. Do I see value in my LR RWD build at $60.5K: YES. Do I see value in the same configuration as a LR AWD at $75.5K: HELL NO. I get it...there are others out there who will buy it at that price and therefore Tesla will sell it to them.

Unclepaul...what you have to realize is that Tesla has had little to zero communication with these reservation holders. My first correspondence from Tesla since the order in 2019 was the email in the last week instructing me to convert the order. Others had reps contact them earlier in the year (a likely push by Tesla to meet some end-of-quarter delivery target). Reports came out that arrangements were made to order their FSD prices.

Did Elon tweet it wouldn't be built...YES. Has Elon previously tweeted or been quoted saying other things that didn't materialize or that were later contradicted by Tesla...ABSOLUTELY. Matter of fact, in July 2020 Elon tweeted they would never have a SR RWD variant because the range was too low and would soon have a LR single motor option (see attachment). Both statements turned out to be incorrect.

If the decision was made months ago not to produce the vehicle, why wait this long to formally communicate it to reservation holders? Would the fair move be to offer reservation holders the opportunity to purchase the vehicle today at the AWD price as of the time the decision was made not to produce LR RWD (but not communicated directly to the LR RWD reservation holders)? I think what chaps me and every other LR RWD MY reservation holder is that after waiting 2+ years with $2500 shelled out all we get is an EMAIL instructing us to change the reservation, no goodwill on the pricing, AND being told we will be sent to the back of the que of orders.

Attachments

• Elon tweet.JPG
    Elon tweet.JPG
    106.6 KB · Views: 99
Reactions: Mullen and tm1v2
What do they mean by pre-order? I made a reservation in 2019, but my reservation became an order this past August. Did anyone else get prompted to move forward with their order in their account before this cancellation and execute it?
Yes...I clicked the button "I'm Ready" and then got the "Prepare for Delivery". Did I think this would actually result in anything new happening: NO. I'm not sure if this was Tesla's way of crowd sourcing the demand for the LR RWD or what the reasoning was behind it.

It has always been my understanding that any change to my order would result in order pricing changing to current pricing and therefore as a LR RWD reservation holder, I have not made any changes to the reservation. We are no longer carpooling so the 7 seat configuration is no longer needed (and the rear seat area is much more cramped than I expected). At the same time, I really don't have the need for AWD and didn't want to switch the configuration to an AWD or a 5 seat config as I knew that would result in changes to the pricing.

Reality is in the present, 2+ years after the order was placed, I have the benefit of hindsight. FSD is far from autonomous: $6K is a price I may pay for it on the hopes that future benefit will match the price. $10K is too high on it especially knowing that a monthly option is available for it. 4680s are likely in the Y in the not so distant future...order now and no guarantee your order will be delivered with 4680s. Tax credits for Teslas and an even larger credit for other union-built options are on the horizon. In the present day, I have more options available in the EV space. Do I see value in my LR RWD build at $60.5K: YES. Do I see value in the same configuration as a LR AWD at $75.5K: HELL NO. I get it...there are others out there who will buy it at that price and therefore Tesla will sell it to them.

Unclepaul...what you have to realize is that Tesla has had little to zero communication with these reservation holders. My first correspondence from Tesla since the order in 2019 was the email in the last week instructing me to convert the order. Others had reps contact them earlier in the year (a likely push by Tesla to meet some end-of-quarter delivery target). Reports came out that arrangements were made to order their FSD prices.

Did Elon tweet it wouldn't be built...YES. Has Elon previously tweeted or been quoted saying other things that didn't materialize or that were later contradicted by Tesla...ABSOLUTELY. Matter of fact, in July 2020 Elon tweeted they would never have a SR RWD variant because the range was too low and would soon have a LR single motor option (see attachment). Both statements turned out to be incorrect.

If the decision was made months ago not to produce the vehicle, why wait this long to formally communicate it to reservation holders? Would the fair move be to offer reservation holders the opportunity to purchase the vehicle today at the AWD price as of the time the decision was made not to produce LR RWD (but not communicated directly to the LR RWD reservation holders)? I think what chaps me and every other LR RWD MY reservation holder is that after waiting 2+ years with $2500 shelled out all we get is an EMAIL instructing us to change the reservation, no goodwill on the pricing, AND being told we will be sent to the back of the que of orders.
You nailed it. Forget about the rest of the points in contract, this is the exact reason why I would be taking Tesla to arbitration. When their CEO fairly sure and tweeted in public forum that LR RWD is not going to be built in Feb 2021, why did Tesla took 9 more months before offering 2.5k deposit back? This shows that Tesla did not have any respect for the contract it made with us and violated it keeping our deposit even after they knew that they did not have intention to build. And because of that, Tesla deprived us the opportunity to buy AWD at much lower price in Feb 2021. And of course, they made us wait for almost 2 extra years ( assuming any new order now will only be delivered in Dec 2022).

I am going to ask to treat my money as investment in Tesla as of date we made the deposit and return as per their stock price today. End of day, no one loans money for free. Let me know if you are interested. We can connect privately and do next steps.

You nailed it. Forget about the rest of the points in contract, this is the exact reason why I would be taking Tesla to arbitration. When their CEO fairly sure and tweeted in public forum that LR RWD is not going to be built in Feb 2021, why did Tesla took 9 more months before offering 2.5k deposit back? This shows that Tesla did not have any respect for the contract it made with us and violated it keeping our deposit even after they knew that they did not have intention to build. And because of that, Tesla deprived us the opportunity to buy AWD at much lower price in Feb 2021. And of course, they made us wait for almost 2 extra years ( assuming any new order now will only be delivered in Dec 2022).

I am going to ask to treat my money as investment in Tesla as of date we made the deposit and return as per their stock price today. End of day, no one loans money for free. Let me know if you are interested. We can connect privately and do next steps.
LRRWD res holder from 4/19 here, I'm definitely interested in joining your effort. The layers upon layers of ways we've been screwed by this outcome is ridiculous. The effort required by Tesla to make this right is infinitesimal, so the fact that they're not willing to do a thing is really saddening.

Reactions: deadpoolvan
LRRWD res holder from 4/19 here, I'm definitely interested in joining your effort. The layers upon layers of ways we've been screwed by this outcome is ridiculous. The effort required by Tesla to make this right is infinitesimal, so the fact that they're not willing to do a thing is really saddening.

I too have a LR RWD order from Jan 2020 and would be interested in joining any group effort to persuade Tesla to do the right thing.

I too have a LR RWD order from Jan 2020 and would be interested in joining any group effort to persuade Tesla to do the right thing.
Unfortunately, Tesla may not listen to our requests. But using right channels like arbitration may help us. There is no guarantee that we will get what we want at the end. I feel that we have few valid points to show that Tesla is not acting in good faith, but I am not a legal expert.
At the end atleast will have satisfaction that we fought for what we felt right.