Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y LR RWD is dead, configuration update required by 12/16

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

petrovich

Nov 10, 2021
US
I placed LR RWD order back in March 2019 and I have never been contacted by Tesla since then
So it will soon be three years since they have been holding my $2500 deposit and I really need advice
- is there any cases when Tesla cancelled LR RWD orders without a warning? Don't want it )
- any chance to honor 2019 pricing to upgrade to AWD? (that would be fair assuming I literally invested $2500 in March 2019)

By the way status of my order changed to "Estimated Delivery: TBD" just recently

Attachments

• _211110121051.png
    _211110121051.png
    56.7 KB · Views: 608
I placed LR RWD order back in March 2019 and I have never been contacted by Tesla since then
So it will soon be three years since they have been holding my $2500 deposit and I really need advice
- is there any cases when Tesla cancelled LR RWD orders without a warning? Don't want it )
- any chance to honor 2019 pricing to upgrade to AWD? (that would be fair assuming I literally invested $2500 in March 2019)

By the way status of my order changed to "Estimated Delivery: TBD" just recently
Wow, that’s crazy considering they’ve been delivering orders for this entire year from non-pre-order customers.

Wish I knew how best to chase this down, but you should get on them right away. And I agree, they should get you the pricing you would have gotten at the time of launch. Hopefully this works out

Reactions: ElectricIAC
Should've converted when the MY LR was $49k earlier this year. Based on others, there are no recourse. You can either give up your reservation or switch over to the current MY offerings (LR or performance).

I can't be certain about Tesla in europe, but it's likely the same. If you make changes in your order/configuration, they will use the most current price. The only time I have seen they honor old price is when they don't plan to build your particular configuration forcing you to switch to available configuration.

this an US order and I have never been contacted to convert it into the AWD so still waiting
Well, if they haven't contacted you to change or cancel, you can keep on waiting if you don't need a car now. My guess is as Austin Gigafactory comes to full production, they will have extra capacity at both factories to produce additional variants. LR RWD makes sense since it's most efficient and not everybody needs AWD.

I ordered MYP7 in Mar 2019 but they contacted my in Feb 2021 to either change to LR7 or Performance 5 seater. I chose LR7 and they kept the original price of LR showed in Mar 2019. My case showed they would contact buyer when they need to change configuration. Since they haven't done so in your case, there is a chance that your configuration will be build.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
Bad news for those who waiting for the RWD - there is new message on the Order page
Apparently Tesla just used $2500 for the almost 3 years and the only offer to pay $8000 more to get car delivered

Action Required​

Your order configuration is no longer available and cannot be delivered. Update your vehicle design and review new pricing in order to proceed. Not taking action will result in your order being cancelled and your order fee refunded.

Received this email today.
1638997576922.png

And after login and selected the order.

1638998492469.png

I tried to config the order, and it's much more expensive now. Actually, it's the same price and estimate delivery time as a new Model Y order at the moment. No discount or priority.

I haven't proceeded with my config change yet, so I don't know exactly how much more I need to pay. Whatever prices shown on the page is not accurate, as it doesn't include taxes & fees, as well as the 2.5k deposit we placed years ago. I think the final price would be roughly 10k higher than what it used to be in our order if no config change (if you don't have FSD, it will be around 7k).

can't believe you waited 2 years, and can't believe they waited 2 years
If it's not because of pandemic (actually I only went to gas station 2~3 times in the last 2 years), I probably won't wait.
I hoped that I could get somewhat benefits and also waited for 4680 cells. I'm disappointed that there's nothing special we could get (I mean, if no benefits at all, why not just cancel the order, refund the deposit, and suggest us to place a new order instead?)

Reactions: canada
Hi there - I am in exact same situation. I booked mine even before like Jan 2020 and never received any updates from Tesla till date on my order. I put down $2500 deposit as well. I followed up on my order few times using the online chat bot and was assured that someone will get in touch with me regarding my order to provide estimate on delivery etc. But till date nobody Tesla every contacted me, no email/text/phone call. Because of the pandemic, I really didn't need a new car, so I didn't pursue it either.

Now I just received an exact same email, forcing me to modify the design and if I do it the price is going up significantly.

Shouldn't Tesla be honoring the price that they promised us when they took the $2500 booking deposit? My repeated follow-ups never yielded any results as nobody contacted me. So the least Tesla can do for the delayed delivery is to honor the price that they promised and not treat this as a new order. Not only the price is higher, the delivery date is July '22 which means I have to wait another 7 months to get the car after waiting 2 years!!

Is there an escalation option to get this resolved?

Reactions: Mullen
Hi there - I am in exact same situation. I booked mine even before like Jan 2020 and never received any updates from Tesla till date on my order. I put down $2500 deposit as well. I followed up on my order few times using the online chat bot and was assured that someone will get in touch with me regarding my order to provide estimate on delivery etc. But till date nobody Tesla every contacted me, no email/text/phone call. Because of the pandemic, I really didn't need a new car, so I didn't pursue it either.

Now I just received an exact same email, forcing me to modify the design and if I do it the price is going up significantly.

Shouldn't Tesla be honoring the price that they promised us when they took the $2500 booking deposit? My repeated follow-ups never yielded any results as nobody contacted me. So the least Tesla can do for the delayed delivery is to honor the price that they promised and not treat this as a new order. Not only the price is higher, the delivery date is July '22 which means I have to wait another 7 months to get the car after waiting 2 years!!

Is there an escalation option to get this resolved?
Pretty bad form to hang out a small group of customers, but not surprising. They can do it because even though it’s a garbage move, my next car is still going to be a Tesla. I know I am not alone.

My reservation is 9/19. Tesla prompted me to execute my order in August 2021. My account was telling me an estimated delivery date would be available soon. Instead the order is canceled. Did I really think they would make the RWD variant? No. But weird that they would let me execute an order if they were only doing AWD. Everyone has been converting to AWD and I thought getting grandfathered FSD pricing and benefitting from good AWD base price until recent bumps. Worst case I should be paying $6k for FSD and $5k more than RWD for the AWD version. Instead $10k for FSD and $10k + for AWD, plus treated like a new order as opposed to one that I made in August. 👎🏼

• Love
Reactions: lemketron
Same boat as well.. Its is bad customer service. I've been asking Tesla to upgrade me to AWD since Jan as apparently there is a glitch that would not let me upgrade.. so I have to depend on their tech team (or whatever that team is called) to upgrade it for me.. Went to the store, called customer service, sent emails..... multiple times... i even tweeted to musk and tesla out of desperation... absolutely ZERO response.. and NOW, we get this news on top of it... This is totally unfair to us early reservation holders..

I'm in the LR RWD reservation boat as well. One of the things that really irks me about how they handled this is the timing of it (believe me...the lack of communication, the lack of offering any special discount, etc all really bother me) is that they have made 2x $1K price increases within the last month on the AWD and Performance variants. If they knew they were not going to make this vehicle, ask the patient LR RWD reservation holders to convert the order a month ago before they made the price increases.

I ordered mine on 10/30/19 so had $6K FSD price. I've never had any communication from Tesla about converting the order until the email came yesterday. I clicked on the Update Design button to see what the new price is and mine goes up $15K just to go from RWD to AWD and without changing anything else. Part of it is due to the increase in AWD price, part due to increase in FSD, plus when I ordered the standard wheel configuration was black so they previously converted it to Induction without an upcharge.

I called the 1-800 number on Monday when I saw headlines that Tesla officially canceled the LR RWD variant. I got transferred to someone I suspect was a local delivery advisor and she put me on hold while she checked with her manager...came back on the line about 5 minutes later and basically said I'm sorry...update or we will refund the deposit. I asked to speak to someone higher up in management and was promised a call back by the end of the day which never occurred.

There was this post earlier this year about them honoring the original FSD price: Model Y LR RWD - Existing Orders - FAQ's

Everyone indicated it couldn't/wouldn't be done but sounded like you had to make enough noise and get in touch with the right people.

If I were to put in a new order today at today's pricing (which is essentially what they are asking RWD FSD holders to do), it would be much different (get rid of FSD, choose gray paint at no charge vs red, drop the 7 seat configuration, go with Performance for $5K more than AWD instead of paying the $2K for Induction wheels). At this point, if they are not going to provide any incentive or credit for our patience, I'll just cancel the reservation.