Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y LR RWD is dead, configuration update required by 12/16

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes...I clicked the button "I'm Ready" and then got the "Prepare for Delivery". Did I think this would actually result in anything new happening: NO. I'm not sure if this was Tesla's way of crowd sourcing the demand for the LR RWD or what the reasoning was behind it.
I know. So weird to let us move ahead with an order that was never going to materialize. I have gotten timely replies to my emails from the Tesla order folks and did hear from a supervisor after I escalated it who just gave the party line. I'm not going to invest any more time in this. Basically, you need Elon to see a tweet and decide he wants to right the wrong or nothing will come of it.

I'm just going to let my reservation cancel and get the refund. There is no advantage to moving forward with converting my order unless the price goes up. Even then, it will take a big bump to matter as I'm not paying for FSD with any new order. I would pay the $6000 I agreed to with my 2019 reservation, but no chance I'm paying $10k or anything higher. It's a total pipe dream. Even autosteer drives more poorly than me and its been around since before I had my Model S in 2016. I've had a Model 3 for almost 4 years and the only FSD feature I use is autosteer on a long trip. I get that for free (albeit without turn signal auto lane change, which is nice) with any car I order.

Basically Tesla was happy to grandfather in people who were converting from RWD to AWD on their own because it gave them the price bump into AWD when they wanted to show big Model Y numbers. Demand is so outrageous that they don't need to do anything for us now that they have bailed on RWD. The agreement gives them the out and even though it is super bad form, it is what it is. The salt in the would for early reservation holders is that you are essentially no better off having made a reservation in 2019 than you are if you made a reservation today, all because Tesla couldn't get it's s#!& together. That is absurd to me given that it costs them nothing to move you up in the line given your already long wait. Such easy, if tiny, goodwill, but why be obnoxious about it if you're Tesla, I don't know.

Does this effort deserve it's own thread? I feel it may be advantageous to rally the troops before too many people cancel/upgrade/move on.
Realistically, the effort needs to be focussed on tweeting at Elon or getting Electrek to write a burn piece or you will be spinning your wheels, IMO. I think our numbers are small, which makes it both difficult to move the needle, but super cheap for Tesla to do the right thing. It just doesn't seem like they want to do the right thing.

Last edited:
Realistically, the effort needs to be focussed on tweeting at Elon or getting Electrek to write a burn piece or you will be spinning your wheels, IMO. I think our numbers are small, which makes it both difficult to move the needle, but super cheap for Tesla to do the right thing. It just doesn't seem like they want to do the right thing.
I agree with you for the most part, I'm also assuming our numbers are small. However I feel it's within the realm of possibility to get the critical mass required for Electrek or someone else to pick up the story, which might be the best way to get Elon's attention.

I also had the idea of making a reddit post targeting base model cybertruck res holders. Basically, "look what happened to us, be prepared to be disappointed". At least their deposit is much less.

There is also an individual on Twitter, @jgrano305, who is a Tesla advisor and part of the Tesla Owners Club of South Florida. He has been a big advocate for the LRRWD Model Y and Elon has replied to his tweets about it in the past (see the screenshot from eldrima above, for example). I've tried messaging him on Twitter but no response yet.

Keep up the fight. It occurred to me that new reservations require a non-refundable $250 deposit. If you convert it may actually be that your $2500 becomes non-refundable if you cancel. Since you get no advantage by converting versus making a brand new order, there is less risk if you cancel, get a refund, and then make a new order with them only holding $250 instead of $2500.

Reactions: Mullen and DCAC
Keep up the fight. It occurred to me that new reservations require a non-refundable $250 deposit. If you convert it may actually be that your $2500 becomes non-refundable if you cancel. Since you get no advantage by converting versus making a brand new order, there is less risk if you cancel, get a refund, and then make a new order with them only holding $250 instead of $2500.
Cancel cybertruck too, they can’t hold my deposit for free anymore. Very fishy company

You nailed it. Forget about the rest of the points in contract, this is the exact reason why I would be taking Tesla to arbitration. When their CEO fairly sure and tweeted in public forum that LR RWD is not going to be built in Feb 2021, why did Tesla took 9 more months before offering 2.5k deposit back? This shows that Tesla did not have any respect for the contract it made with us and violated it keeping our deposit even after they knew that they did not have intention to build. And because of that, Tesla deprived us the opportunity to buy AWD at much lower price in Feb 2021. And of course, they made us wait for almost 2 extra years ( assuming any new order now will only be delivered in Dec 2022).

I am going to ask to treat my money as investment in Tesla as of date we made the deposit and return as per their stock price today. End of day, no one loans money for free. Let me know if you are interested. We can connect privately and do next steps.
I am interested too. I ordered in Sep 2019. Please count me in.

Guess that 2019 price ship has sailed. Cars have gone up significantly in price since your original configuration. Inflation is real.

Upside is that their cars have had many improvements in technology, construction and features since your original order. Dual pane windows, faster charging, better battery chemistry, newer wheels and tires, stereo, computer etc.

Understand your desire to get your 2019 pricing extended to a newer configuration, but that is not the way Tesla works. If you change your configuration you will get the current pricing as well.

People that put down a deposit on a CyberTruck will face the same decisions. Many wanted the cheapest configuration, but it will be some time (if ever) that such a car will come down the line. If they want to take delivery of their Tesla, they will need to pay the price as configured.
How can Tesla "discontinue a product" if there is no such product (LR RWD) ever in existence for Tesla to discontinue? You can only discontinue somthing if someting is there for you to discontinue. This is not the case here. Logically based on this contratual language, Tesla can never meet this condition to cancel your order. Acordingly, your cousel can make a case in an Arbitration that "Model Y Motor Vehicle Pre-Order Agreement" is not a cancellable contract by the Tesla side. "Model Y Motor Vehicle Pre-Order Agreement" further provides that "We[Tesla] will pay all AAA fees for any arbitration, which will be held in the city or county of your residence". So regardless whether you win or lose in the arbitration, you've got nothing to loose by taking the arbitration route; Tesla pays the legal fee anyway for it and you may have a good chance of settling for the price of LR AWD/FSD at the time of your pre-order. Since the venue of the arbitration is always "in the city or county of your residence", who knows - maybe the place of your residence is so far away thta Tesla won't bother to send their attorney there to face you in the aribitration, in which case, you win by default:).

Keep up the fight. It occurred to me that new reservations require a non-refundable $250 deposit. If you convert it may actually be that your $2500 becomes non-refundable if you cancel. Since you get no advantage by converting versus making a brand new order, there is less risk if you cancel, get a refund, and then make a new order with them only holding $250 instead of $25

How can Tesla "discontinue a product" if there is no such product (LR RWD) ever in existence for Tesla to discontinue? You can only discontinue somthing if someting is there for you to discontinue. This is not the case here. Logically based on this contratual language, Tesla can never meet this condition to cancel your order. Acordingly, your cousel can make a case in an Arbitration that "Model Y Motor Vehicle Pre-Order Agreement" is not a cancellable contract by the Tesla side. "Model Y Motor Vehicle Pre-Order Agreement" further provides that "We[Tesla] will pay all AAA fees for any arbitration, which will be held in the city or county of your residence". So regardless whether you win or lose in the arbitration, you've got nothing to loose by taking the arbitration route; Tesla pays the legal fee anyway for it and you may have a good chance of settling for the price of LR AWD/FSD at the time of your pre-order. Since the venue of the arbitration is always "in the city or county of your residence", who knows - maybe the place of your residence is so far away thta Tesla won't bother to send their attorney there to face you in the aribitration, in which case, you win by default:).
All we need to prove is that Tesla collected a deposit from us for a product that they never had a intention to make. And kept our deposit after the fact that they knew that were not planning to manufacture it. So it is equivalent to cheating and keeping us in dark. We can quote following.

1. Tesla never took deposits on model Y RWD after initial orders. If they have any intention of making it, they would have taken more orders at some point of time.
2. Their CEO quoted in public forum that they are not interested in building Tesla model rwd in Feb 2021.
3. Also we can question their intention why they took $2500 deposit instead of something like $100 or $250 like they are doing today. They needed money at that time in 2019. And they used our deposits in ramping up their model Y production. There were articles in CNBC that Tesla was one month away from bankruptcy between 2016 and 2019 and Tesla themselves agreed it.

So all we need to prove is they collected money from us and kept us waiting for something they never intended to build and sell. In that process, they deprived us in getting another model Y variant at much lower price.

Also they wasted us so much time with false promises.

They can not simply back out because contract has a clause that both parties can cancel. Tesla did not pay us to stand in line, but they collected our deposits to keep us in line. So they have to be accountable for any loss they would have caused us in doing so.

I will be asking for much more compensation than just RWD to AWD difference.

What Tesla did is plain cheating. We should not let they get away.

On another note, no need beg them to do us any favors. I know it is an easy route.

Ok I had to admit I don't even know how to contact Tesla now. First of all, I don't think any local level sales could help and don't want to waste the time. Then I checked the homepage and only find 2 options so far. Tesla SSO - Sign In, which is for existing owner and doesn't have any category that related to order. Contact | Tesla, whose options are not related to order as well (tried to submit without select any option and it doesn't work).

If there's any group movement, please count me in. I don't know law, don't have free time, and very bad at talking / arguing. But if just need any type of signature / head count, I would like to help.

Ok I had to admit I don't even know how to contact Tesla now. First of all, I don't think any local level sales could help and don't want to waste the time. Then I checked the homepage and only find 2 options so far. Tesla SSO - Sign In, which is for existing owner and doesn't have any category that related to order. Contact | Tesla, whose options are not related to order as well (tried to submit without select any option and it doesn't work).

If there's any group movement, please count me in. I don't know law, don't have free time, and very bad at talking / arguing. But if just need any type of signature / head count, I would like to help.
Yes, I just tried to call the 510-249-3100 number that has been posted in the past for 'keeping your FSD pricing' and it's a Fremont CA number that transfers to Texas. The rep I spoke with said she only handles Arizona and Texas regions and that for CA I'd have to basically call my local Tesla operations in Burbank CA. I haven't called them yet but I'm guessing they won't be of any help either.

There is simply no 'order support' via Phone it seems. What a mess.

If check agreement that was attached to the email that you got from Tesla when you did your pre-order, parts of it shown below:

—————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————
If you have a concern or dispute, please send a written notice describing it and your desired resolution to resolution􏰁[email protected].

If not resolved within 60 days, you agree that any dispute arising out of or relating to any aspect of the relationship between you and Tesla will not be decided by a judge or jury but instead by a single arbitrator in an arbitration administered by the American Arbitration Association (AAA) under its Consumer Arbitration Rules. This includes claims arising before this Agreement, such as claims related to statements about our products.

We will pay all AAA fees for any arbitration, which will be held in the city or county of your residence. To learn more about the Rules and how to begin an arbitration, you may call any AAA office or go to www.adr.org.
…..

If you prefer, you may instead take an individual dispute to small claims court.

—————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————

Since not a lawyer not sure what everything in the agreement means, and lots more in it, so please read it yourself.

Seems like a good place to start might be to send a complaint to "[email protected]", not expecting much but that is what I did.

I too have a LR RWD order from Jan 2020 and would be interested in joining any group effort to persuade Tesla to do the right thing.
I am interested in joining this effort as well and right the wrong.

Primal supporters for any initiative should be treated fair and with respect. I like Elon/ Tesla for what they are doing and let us make sure this is corrected. I am confident Elon would honor updating at the prices available during the order, if he comes to know about the way his primal supporters are treated.

Yes, I just tried to call the 510-249-3100 number that has been posted in the past for 'keeping your FSD pricing' and it's a Fremont CA number that transfers to Texas. The rep I spoke with said she only handles Arizona and Texas regions and that for CA I'd have to basically call my local Tesla operations in Burbank CA. I haven't called them yet but I'm guessing they won't be of any help either.

There is simply no 'order support' via Phone it seems. What a mess.
I think you can call the general customer support phone number for Tesla which is 1 (888) 518-3752 and then press 1 for vehicles and then 1 again for sales.

One of my friends placed an order like most of you did in March 2019. But I think he may be a lucky guy because Tesla upgraded the vehicle to an AWD based on the old price book and also honored the FSD based on old price. So he is getting an AWD for 51,000 (instead of 58,990) and FSD at 5,000 (instead of 10,000). I looked at the math and it saves him almost 15K in on road cost compared with making a new reservation at the new prices.

I had a difficult time believing this because nobody mentioned the price match. So I went ahead and asked him for a copy of the new invoice. He sent it. Here you go...So if you are put under a gun by Tesla to buy the Model Y asap, ask them to match the price from the price book on the day you placed the order. At 8K less for the AWD model and another 3-5K reduction in FSD, it may not be a bad deal.

If you want to know what the price of Tesla on the day of your order, look it up on Internet archives at Design Your Model Y | Tesla

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-12-13 at 4.53.21 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-12-13 at 4.53.21 PM.jpg
    174.6 KB · Views: 103
Thanks for posting. Good to know.

I placed the order for LR RWD in Oct 2019. Called in couple of days ago and asked to match AWD price from order date. The agent declined and I asked to cancel the order and I got the $2500 refunded.

Guess I did not push hard enough :(