Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y LR RWD is dead, configuration update required by 12/16

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One of my friends placed an order like most of you did in March 2019. But I think he may be a lucky guy because Tesla upgraded the vehicle to an AWD based on the old price book and also honored the FSD based on old price. So he is getting an AWD for 51,000 (instead of 58,990) and FSD at 5,000 (instead of 10,000). I looked at the math and it saves him almost 15K in on road cost compared with making a new reservation at the new prices.

I had a difficult time believing this because nobody mentioned the price match. So I went ahead and asked him for a copy of the new invoice. He sent it. Here you go...So if you are put under a gun by Tesla to buy the Model Y asap, ask them to match the price from the price book on the day you placed the order. At 8K less for the AWD model and another 3-5K reduction in FSD, it may not be a bad deal.

If you want to know what the price of Tesla on the day of your order, look it up on Internet archives at Design Your Model Y | Tesla
Who did he talk to? A Store? Customer support? This was recently?

Thanks

That would be extremely helpful, thank you!

Do you know if he had to ‘push’ them at all or if it was pretty straightforward?
It wasn't very hard apparently. He seemed to have said, "If I reserve a car at an airport, and the rental company doesn't have that car, they don't force me to book a new reservation at spot rates. They would give me a free upgrade so that I have a car. In this case, I am not asking you to give me AWD upgrade for free but you have to allow me to upgrade it at the price I agreed to buy the LR RWD". As I said, the sales advisor was apparently very nice and got that taken care of. If you are in this situation, I am almost certain you can pull it off too.

Also, the new EV credit bill - as it was passed by Senate - had the EV credits retroactively available from May 2021. So there is a slight possibility that these Teslas get the new credit too. Also, anyone that gets a Tesla now will get the 2022 Tesla. And there is a strong likelihood that Tesla will increase the prices in 2022 after the bill passes to take away some of the credit. Bottomline is, if someone can get the 2019 price for the AWD, they can effectively get it almost 15-20k cheaper than the new one to be bought in 2022. Wishful thinking - may be. But there is a strong possibility.

It wasn't very hard apparently. He seemed to have said, "If I reserve a car at an airport, and the rental company doesn't have that car, they don't force me to book a new reservation at spot rates. They would give me a free upgrade so that I have a car. In this case, I am not asking you to give me AWD upgrade for free but you have to allow me to upgrade it at the price I agreed to buy the LR RWD". As I said, the sales advisor was apparently very nice and got that taken care of. If you are in this situation, I am almost certain you can pull it off too.

Also, the new EV credit bill - as it was passed by Senate - had the EV credits retroactively available from May 2021. So there is a slight possibility that these Teslas get the new credit too. Also, anyone that gets a Tesla now will get the 2022 Tesla. And there is a strong likelihood that Tesla will increase the prices in 2022 after the bill passes to take away some of the credit. Bottomline is, if someone can get the 2019 price for the AWD, they can effectively get it almost 15-20k cheaper than the new one to be bought in 2022. Wishful thinking - may be. But there is a strong possibility.
Yes, this is similar to what I was going to say.

So is your friend getting the car sooner or still having to wait until next year?

If your friend has a direct contact or a Sales advisor name please share 👍🏻

deadpoolvan said:
One of my friends placed an order like most of you did in March 2019. But I think he may be a lucky guy because Tesla upgraded the vehicle to an AWD based on the old price book and also honored the FSD based on old price. So he is getting an AWD for 51,000 (instead of 58,990) and FSD at 5,000 (instead of 10,000). I looked at the math and it saves him almost 15K in on road cost compared with making a new reservation at the new prices.

I had a difficult time believing this because nobody mentioned the price match. So I went ahead and asked him for a copy of the new invoice. He sent it. Here you go...So if you are put under a gun by Tesla to buy the Model Y asap, ask them to match the price from the price book on the day you placed the order. At 8K less for the AWD model and another 3-5K reduction in FSD, it may not be a bad deal.

If you want to know what the price of Tesla on the day of your order, look it up on Internet archives at Design Your Model Y | Tesla

This would to be an even better deal that it at first seams. In March 2019, if you added FSD at $5000, it automatically added Autopilot at $3000. Back then Autopilot wasn't included in the $51000 base price. it was a separate line item So adding FSD really cost $8000. If you use the internet archives link given and configure the car that is what it shows.

I'm game for helping get a group together to encourage Tesla to do the right thing. I've got to head out for a family obligation but will post some thoughts and tools to help organize the effort.
I too am willing to join in this effort. I am a jan/2020 reservation holder and the very first outreach was the email to make changes to my order last week!

I did reach out to the vp of sales and a couple days later a got a call from the group leader at a local Tesla. Not sure what she can do but I explained out situation. Nothing has happened and as of right now if you do not modify your order, they will all cancel out 12-16.

I will be filing a dispute as afforded in the "Agreement to Arbitrate" clause in the Order Agreement, and will take it further to arbitration if necessary. I've copied the text from my dispute letter below, if anyone else would like to use it and/or comment on it. I've redacted personal information as well as my "Desired Resolution" section. From some of the comments above, it looks like asking for the AWD base price at the time of order and keeping options pricing is viable.

I think this is the best course of action for the time being. We should keep each other updated on this thread about how disputes are going, and can organize a more coordinated effort if things go poorly and there are enough people affected.

Background

The Tesla “Model Y” vehicle was officially unveiled on March 14, 2019. Four variants of the vehicle were announced (see attachment 1), two rear-wheel drive (RWD) variants; “Standard Range” and “Long Range” (LRRWD), and two all-wheel drive variants; “Dual Motor AWD” and “Performance”. Online ordering was opened the same day for all but the “Standard Range” variant, with deliveries slated to begin in “Fall 2020”. Placing an order required making a refundable $2500 deposit.

I placed an order for the LRRWD on xxxxxxx, 2019 and was issued an order number xxxxxxxxxxx. Selected options and their associated pricing for my order were as follows:
  • Base Price: $48,000
  • Paint: Solid Black ($0)
  • Wheels: 19” “Gemini” ($0)
  • Interior: All Black ($0)
  • Seating Layout: 5-Seat ($0)
  • Full Self-Driving Capability ($5,000)
  • Total Price: $53,000
Upon placing the order, Tesla emailed me a “Motor Vehicle Order Agreement” (“the agreement”) (see attachment 2). Following this email, I received no other correspondence from Tesla regarding my order until December 8, 2021, at which time I received an email stating: “We’d like to help you update your configuration, as we do not build the configuration you originally selected.” “If we do not hear from you by December 16, 2021, we will assume that you no longer wish to purchase a vehicle. We will automatically cancel your order and refund your order deposit.” (see attachment 3).

Dispute

1. By indicating their intent to cancel my order on December 16, 2021 if I do not elect to change my configuration, Tesla is violating the agreement entered into on xxxxxxxxx, 2019. Specifically, the agreement states that “We may also cancel your pre-order and refund your Pre-Order Payment if we discontinue a product, feature or option after the time you place your pre-order”. Tesla is not discontinuing the LRRWD, as the term “discontinue” specifically implies that Tesla produced the product and then ceased production. Tesla never produced the LRRWD.

2. Tesla acted in bad faith by failing to contact me upon deciding not to produce the LRRWD, while the price of options and alternative variants continued to rise.
  • Tesla first indicated that they did not intend to produce the LRRWD in January 2020, when the ability to order the LRRWD variant was removed from their website. Tesla failed to contact pre-existing LRRWD order holders when this change was made.
  • Tesla CEO Elon Musk publicly indicated that the LRRWD would not be produced on February 22, 2021, in a tweet stating “We have too much product complexity already” in response to a question regarding the status of LRRWD production (see attachment 4). Tesla again failed to contact pre-existing LRRWD order holders.
3. Tesla acted in bad faith by not affording LRRWD order holders the only tangible purposes of a pre-order by not honoring options pricing or order priority in their request to “update” order configurations under threat of order cancellation.
  • The first tangible purpose of a pre-order is to lock-in options pricing offered at the time of the order. This premise was confirmed specifically and publicly by Tesla CEO Elon Musk on July 16, 2019 when he stated “As mentioned earlier this year, cost of the Tesla FSD option will increase every few months. Those who buy it earlier will see the benefit.” (see attachment 5). Elon Musk regularly and publicly announced upcoming increases in options pricing, with the intent of benefitting potential customers by enabling them to strategically place orders before a price increase.
  • The second tangible purpose of a pre-order is to enter the cue of orders to ensure the earliest delivery date possible. “Updating my configuration” to a different variant, as is being requested by Tesla under threat of order cancellation, will result in being moved to the end of the current order cue.
  • By not honoring options pricing or order priority in their request to “update” my order configuration, Tesla is offering a hollow choice. “Updating” the configuration is the same as placing a new order in this case.

Attachments

• attachment 1.jpg
    attachment 1.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 89
  • attachment 4.PNG
    attachment 4.PNG
    88 KB · Views: 72
  • attachment 5.PNG
    attachment 5.PNG
    104 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
Reactions: Mullen and DCAC
I will be filing a dispute as afforded in the "Agreement to Arbitrate" clause in the Order Agreement, and will take it further to arbitration if necessary. I've copied the text from my dispute letter below, if anyone else would like to use it and/or comment on it. I've redacted personal information as well as my "Desired Resolution" section. From some of the comments above, it looks like asking for the AWD base price at the time of order and keeping options pricing is viable.

I think this is the best course of action for the time being. We should keep each other updated on this thread about how disputes are going, and can organize a more coordinated effort if things go poorly and there are enough people affected.

Background

The Tesla “Model Y” vehicle was officially unveiled on March 14, 2019. Four variants of the vehicle were announced (see attachment 1), two rear-wheel drive (RWD) variants; “Standard Range” and “Long Range” (LRRWD), and two all-wheel drive variants; “Dual Motor AWD” and “Performance”. Online ordering was opened the same day for all but the “Standard Range” variant, with deliveries slated to begin in “Fall 2020”. Placing an order required making a refundable $2500 deposit.

I placed an order for the LRRWD on xxxxxxx, 2019 and was issued an order number xxxxxxxxxxx. Selected options and their associated pricing for my order were as follows:
  • Base Price: $48,000
  • Paint: Solid Black ($0)
  • Wheels: 19” “Gemini” ($0)
  • Interior: All Black ($0)
  • Seating Layout: 5-Seat ($0)
  • Full Self-Driving Capability ($5,000)
  • Total Price: $53,000
Upon placing the order, Tesla emailed me a “Motor Vehicle Order Agreement” (“the agreement”) (see attachment 2). Following this email, I received no other correspondence from Tesla regarding my order until December 8, 2021, at which time I received an email stating: “We’d like to help you update your configuration, as we do not build the configuration you originally selected.” “If we do not hear from you by December 16, 2021, we will assume that you no longer wish to purchase a vehicle. We will automatically cancel your order and refund your order deposit.” (see attachment 3).

Dispute

1. By indicating their intent to cancel my order on December 16, 2021 if I do not elect to change my configuration, Tesla is violating the agreement entered into on xxxxxxxxx, 2019. Specifically, the agreement states that “We may also cancel your pre-order and refund your Pre-Order Payment if we discontinue a product, feature or option after the time you place your pre-order”. Tesla is not discontinuing the LRRWD, as the term “discontinue” specifically implies that Tesla produced the product and then ceased production. Tesla never produced the LRRWD.

2. Tesla acted in bad faith by failing to contact me upon deciding not to produce the LRRWD, while the price of options and alternative variants continued to rise.
  • Tesla first indicated that they did not intend to produce the LRRWD in January 2020, when the ability to order the LRRWD variant was removed from their website. Tesla failed to contact pre-existing LRRWD order holders when this change was made.
  • Tesla CEO Elon Musk publicly indicated that the LRRWD would not be produced on February 22, 2021, in a tweet stating “We have too much product complexity already” in response to a question regarding the status of LRRWD production (see attachment 4). Tesla again failed to contact pre-existing LRRWD order holders.
3. Tesla acted in bad faith by not affording LRRWD order holders the only tangible purposes of a pre-order by not honoring options pricing or order priority in their request to “update” order configurations under threat of order cancellation.
  • The first tangible purpose of a pre-order is to lock-in options pricing offered at the time of the order. This premise was confirmed specifically and publicly by Tesla CEO Elon Musk on July 16, 2019 when he stated “As mentioned earlier this year, cost of the Tesla FSD option will increase every few months. Those who buy it earlier will see the benefit.” (see attachment 5). Elon Musk regularly and publicly announced upcoming increases in options pricing, with the intent of benefitting potential customers by enabling them to strategically place orders before a price increase.
  • The second tangible purpose of a pre-order is to enter the cue of orders to ensure the earliest delivery date possible. “Updating my configuration” to a different variant, as is being requested by Tesla under threat of order cancellation, will result in being moved to the end of the current order cue.
  • By not honoring options pricing or order priority in their request to “update” my order configuration, Tesla is offering a hollow choice. “Updating” the configuration is the same as placing a new order in this case.
Thank you. It is really helpful. May be we can quote another point in contract. If we change any configuration, Tesla is asking us to pay current price. So if change is from Tesla end from RWD to AWD, Tesla should reciprocate and honor the RWD price at the time of order. End of the day both RWD and AWD are Model Y. And it is not a different product. Instead of doing that, Tesla is asking us to make the change and bear the burden of price increase

I went ahead and responded to the email from Tesla requesting I update my configuration. I wanted to get it on the record that I still wish to order a vehicle. I sent the following message: "I still wish to order a vehicle. When I open the vehicle configurator, none of the options pricing from my April 2019 order is reflected, and it also indicates that I would be pushed to the back of the current order cue. This is a non-choice. It is no different than starting a new order. This completely defeats the purpose of me putting down $2500 nearly three years ago. This is completely unfair and honestly a slap in the face to a hardcore Tesla fan and supporter. I will be submitting a dispute through [email protected]."

I received this response: "Thank you for your message. We understand that updating your configuration will bring you to the price book for what are [sic] vehicles are valued today. Tesla is not honoring pricing of the vehicles from 2019 when you first placed your order. We can refund you back your order fee if you like if you decide to not proceed."

This is clearly a lie as evidenced by customers on this thread and elsewhere sharing that Tesla did in fact honor their options pricing when upgrading to AWD in some cases. I will move forward with submitting my dispute.

If there is anyone else who can share evidence that Tesla has in fact honored options pricing when switching to AWD, that would be very helpful.

I went ahead and responded to the email from Tesla requesting I update my configuration. I wanted to get it on the record that I still wish to order a vehicle. I sent the following message: "I still wish to order a vehicle. When I open the vehicle configurator, none of the options pricing from my April 2019 order is reflected, and it also indicates that I would be pushed to the back of the current order cue. This is a non-choice. It is no different than starting a new order. This completely defeats the purpose of me putting down $2500 nearly three years ago. This is completely unfair and honestly a slap in the face to a hardcore Tesla fan and supporter. I will be submitting a dispute through [email protected]."

I received this response: "Thank you for your message. We understand that updating your configuration will bring you to the price book for what are [sic] vehicles are valued today. Tesla is not honoring pricing of the vehicles from 2019 when you first placed your order. We can refund you back your order fee if you like if you decide to not proceed."

This is clearly a lie as evidenced by customers on this thread and elsewhere sharing that Tesla did in fact honor their options pricing when upgrading to AWD in some cases. I will move forward with submitting my dispute.

If there is anyone else who can share evidence that Tesla has in fact honored options pricing when switching to AWD, that would be very helpful.
We should ask them whether they would return the customer all the money if we buy the model y and kept it in garage and bring it back to them after 3 years.

They do understand, but do not have any answer. So keep repeating same stuff. If they cancel order on Dec 16th, I will be starting the arbitration right away

Reactions: Alien7220

Wow didn't expect the email address is monitored. (But considering it's not no-reply, it's reasonable).
I called the 888 number and from what he said the $2500 deposit would be non-refundable if update the config. He also said we might get higher priority since the original order data is earlier than new order, but for me I'd rather wait a few more months for a 4680-cell version (if you already waited for 2 years, why not for another few months?).
(Update: I checked the website again and noticed that the $250 is actually called order fee now and it's also shown if we update the config, which means there's no concept of deposit anymore and we still need to pay $250 more (and other fees and taxes that not shown on the first page). I'm also worried that in the end they totally forget the deposit and it becomes donation.)
I think both details go against my preference, and I would just let the order expire (at least that means I could get my $2500 back). I like your idea of sending an email and would want to confirm via email again regarding the deposit.

Last edited:
We should ask them whether they would return the customer all the money if we buy the model y and kept it in garage and bring it back to them after 3 years.

They do understand, but do not have any answer. So keep repeating same stuff. If they cancel order on Dec 16th, I will be starting the arbitration right away
Have you tried to go to the gallery leader at the store to plead your case? Explain no one reached out to you until the the email and please your case.

Anyone who has NOT been getting anywhere:

Have you tried calling the main number (1-888-518-3752, 1 for Vehicles and then 2 For Sales) and then asking if they can either connect you with a Sales Advisor or leave a message for one to call you back? Or just leave a message with a Sales Advisor (or whatever they're called) that you want to switch to the AWD and keep the original 2019 Price Book? If the regular advisor tells you that they are NOT honoring the 2019 pricing tell them you still want to speak with or leave this message with a Sales Advisor. If they don't follow up with you before the end of the day, call back!

Wow didn't expect the email address is monitored. (But considering it's not no-reply, it's reasonable).
I called the 888 number and from what he said the $2500 deposit would be non-refundable if update the config. He also said we might get higher priority since the original order data is earlier than new order, but for me I'd rather wait a few more months for a 4680-cell version (if you already waited for 2 years, why not for another few months?).
(Update: I checked the website again and noticed that the $250 is actually called order fee now and it's also shown if we update the config, which means there's no concept of deposit anymore and we still need to pay $250 more (and other fees and taxes that not shown on the first page). I'm also worried that in the end they totally forget the deposit and it becomes donation.)
I think both details go against my preference, and I would just let the order expire (at least that means I could get my $2500 back). I like your idea of sending an email and would want to confirm via email again regarding the deposit.
Here is the reply I received. I think the content is more reliable than the answer I got from 888

Thank you for your message. Your reservation fee of $2,500 will be applied as part of your newly configured Model Y. The $2,500 will remain refundable even after you update your configuration. To update your configuration, please sign in to your Tesla Account and select Update Design by December 16, 2021.
I have included your Tesla Advisor on this email to review any further questions you may have.
I may consider update the config if the $2,500 is refundable.

My LR RWD order now shows "prepare for delivery". Estimated delivery : TBD. Can you guys check yours?

Reactions: Alien7220