Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y LRAWD front differential disconnects?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I had the car off the ground to paint the calipers and noticed that the front differential doesn’t seem to be connected. Meaning when I rotate the left front wheel, the right front wheel doesn’t rotate in the opposite direction. The opposite wheel didn’t rotate at all. There didn’t seem to be any drag or any detectable mechanical connection when changing rotational directions either. I can definitely see the half shafts going into the motor unit.

This is in contrast to the rear which did have an obvious mechanical connection that could be felt and the opposite side would rotate in the opposite direction as well.

Does the front motor have a disconnect on the LRAWD?

Here’s the thing… there are three “shafts” connected to the diff.

If you’re moving one and a second isn’t moving… there’s only one explanation left.

As for the difference between front and back… one is induction and another is permanent magnet, they have different effects when powered vs unpowered.

TL;DR the induction motor provides no resistance when unpowered, so it’s easier to rotate than a heavy wheel from the differential.

Last edited: