Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y minor scratch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a minor scratch in my white model Y and would request some suggestion on a kit to replenish.
The scratch is visible only with a deep clean .image attached hereon .
Would be grateful if you could please guide ?
2nd image is critical.
1000028439.jpg
1000028439.jpg

I have a minor scratch in my white model Y and would request some suggestion on a kit to replenish.
The scratch is visible only with a deep clean .image attached hereon .
Would be grateful if you could please guide ?
2nd image is critical.
View attachment 1028592View attachment 1028593
This scratch was visible only during a thorough and deep car cleaning...During normal non clean activity this is not voidable at all.Also there is no dent but a smooth surface.
Was wondering if the surrounding surface could be addressed around the divot.

You might be able to get away with a dr color chip type of kit. Home - Dr. ColorChip or the kit that tesla sells, which appear to be the same concept. I've had good success filling in rock chips in my cars in the past with them. It will make yours go from looking like a crosshatch to more of a smear. The most notable issue with those kits tends to be with the metallic flake in the paint. When you use a kit to repair it the color and metallic "sparkles" will be higher toward the surface of the area rather than below the clearcoat as it is with the rest of the paint. It results in sort of a smudge.

Alternatively, taking it to a body shop, they'd mask everything off and lightly sand the area smooth, then spray it again, blending the color around the periphery of the area and ultimately applying a new layer of clear coat so it all looks uniform. If done well, this is the most imperceivable. I'd get a quote from a shop before attempting your own repair.

It does look as if there's some sort of rust or oxidation in the scratches too, hence my statement that it's not minor. You'll want to address that as well rather than just painting something on top of it. If you paint over it you risk poor adhesion or potentially bubbling and eventually flaking of the paint in the long-term.

Last edited: