Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A nut size scratch and a nut size dent

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SumeetN

Sep 4, 2023
1AH
I picked up Model Y yesterday and today morning while the trunk was open, I tried to open my home garage door. I didn’t realise the trunk opens at a greater height than other cars. The door knob hit the trunk slightly and cause a minor, very minor, almost invisible peanut size dent and a peanut size scratch below the dent. I submitted a service request for it and pleaded the SC to consider the repair. They have approved the service request with a $0 estimate, but they mentioned it is only an estimate. Would they cover the repair with no cost? Or would they inspect the car when I go for the service and decide the actual price?

I picked up Model Y yesterday and today morning while the trunk was open, I tried to open my home garage door. I didn’t realise the trunk opens at a greater height than other cars. The door knob hit the trunk slightly and cause a minor, very minor, almost invisible peanut size dent and a peanut size scratch below the dent. I submitted a service request for it and pleaded the SC to consider the repair. They have approved the service request with a $0 estimate, but they mentioned it is only an estimate. Would they cover the repair with no cost? Or would they inspect the car when I go for the service and decide the actual price?

Attachments

• IMG_0953.jpeg
    IMG_0953.jpeg
    705.9 KB · Views: 161
Upvote 0
So… that’s right at the edge/corner/crease. Can’t really be fixed by a dent-puller… will probably need a body shop to get it fixed right. In this case, it’s not the size that matters; it’s the location. The suggestion from an Internet stranger is to live with the dent, and get some touch up paint for the scratch.

Otherwise you may have to find a body shop willing to take on such a small job. Tesla service centers don’t typically do body work and they may refer you to an authorized shop.

Reactions: fsb1 and zoomer0056
Upvote 0
I had a similar experience this past weekend. I picked up my MYP on Wed and took a beach road trip. In the hotel parking garage, I opened the trunk from inside and then saw little bits of white powder on the trunk. I panicked after realizing what I had done. I got very lucky and only had a minor scratch/dent on the spoiler. I was about to park in a different area, had I done it there, it would've caused major damage, so as much as I hate the fact I've damaged the spoiler, it could've been worse.

I wish during pickup CS associates would go over some basics, like you I didn't realize how far up the trunk opens up. Good luck with the repair, like some have stated, I don't think it will be a "free" fix. You may need to go through your insurance if you have comprehensive coverage with a deductible cheaper than the repair.

Trunk.jpg

Reactions: fsb1
Upvote 0