Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Owner for 24 Minutes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After months of anticipation, I picked up my Model Y today in Northern Virginia. The car was absolutely beautiful and the walkthrough (from a distance) was very helpful. At the conclusion of the process, they help you set up your phone as your key and send you on your way. As I drove off the lot, I was immediately reminded of the cool regenerative braking and incredible acceleration. Little did I know that my time as a happy Tesla owner would end in 7 minutes...

Ok, let's fast forward 7 minutes. As I was driving home, my screen started showing errors and indicated that the regenerative braking had been disabled. Then I started getting more notifications that the stability and traction control had been disabled and to use caution while driving. The feel became very different and I started slowing down. I assumed that I did something wrong so I called a friend that owned a Tesla. After listening to my description of the problem, she let me know that she had not seen this issue in her model 3. I then proceeded to call the dealership back.

They had me go through some reboots (by pressing down both buttons above the scroll wheels). The reset takes about a minute and, unfortunately, had no effect. They then proceeded to transfer me to a service technician. After speaking with me for a while, he asked me to come back to the shop.

So now, back at the dealership, the manager comes out and tries some things with the car before heading back to talk to the service guys. I will say that everyone was apologetic and professional. Still, the sinking feeling in my stomach was getting worse. After about 10 mins, he came back and let me know that the diagnostics on my car (pretty cool that they get these over the air) was showing some issues and, in short, it needed to be admitted. So now I was being asked to basically send my new car to the shop for an indeterminate amount of time so they could see if they could figure out was wrong with it. After thinking about it for a few minutes, I wasn't comfortable with a new car that basically broke on the drive home. I was getting a new car because I was tired of sending my old car to the shop.

So I let them know that I would prefer to just give them the car back. They tried to find another matching new car for me (which I would have been ok with) but they didn't have my color. Then they proceeded to do the return. Again, they apologized profusely, felt my pain at getting a defective car and handled it quickly.

Disappointing to say the least. Makes me wonder if they may be pushing out this new model too quickly. Also, was frustrating that they wouldn't refund my order reservation fee. I basically did everything right and still got stuck with the fee.

Hopefully this was an isolated incident but wondering if others have had Model Y issues?

As I get many "disagrees" for my comment about whether your post was legit or not, I will say I apologize if in fact your post reflects a real experience with your Model Y. Not fun to look forward to a delivery and have it not even closely meet your expectations or hopes. I do like when people stand up for quality (after all, I think we all want Tesla to succeed in the long run and returning vehicles and complaining about quality issues is the only way Tesla will make any changes and become the quality and luxury car company they want to become.

So again, sorry to the OP for being skeptical. I spend a lot of time on the internet and am mentally geared to question most things that pop up if they dont seem quite right. Good luck getting a good quality Tesla in the near future!

As I get many "disagrees" for my comment about whether your post was legit or not, I will say I apologize if in fact your post reflects a real experience with your Model Y. Not fun to look forward to a delivery and have it not even closely meet your expectations or hopes. I do like when people stand up for quality (after all, I think we all want Tesla to succeed in the long run and returning vehicles and complaining about quality issues is the only way Tesla will make any changes and become the quality and luxury car company they want to become.

So again, sorry to the OP for being skeptical. I spend a lot of time on the internet and am mentally geared to question most things that pop up if they dont seem quite right. Good luck getting a good quality Tesla in the near future!
I wouldn't feel too bad about it. There seems to be a resounding silence from the OP which always makes me suspicious.

I wouldn't feel too bad about it. There seems to be a resounding silence from the OP which always makes me suspicious.
I saw that too. The final line in the OP post sparked my curiosity as well..."Hopefully this was an isolated incident but wondering if others have had Model Y issues?".

I was like "Ahhh dude, did you even LOOK at any of the other threads on this site? They are literally ALL about quality issues"

Reactions: Levelheadsteve
Real post or not TMC has become a sad place for new people to visit. I have many friends that are Tesla owners that do not even know this forum exists and had issues with their cars and were too busy to address them. Many people do not buy a Tesla because they hear about these things and one instance can make them return the car, it's 100% valid. Short sellers and anyone looking to post here will have no little impact but the many replies is great for Google indexing, Perhaps before responding endlessly let the OP post more than once? Should the post not be genuine then people here took the bait because they can't hep themselves and if in fact real, most frustrated consumers leave here because of the environment. Many people do not like public forums and for good reason, there are arguments for both sides but remember that not all Tesla buyers know, care or will ever come here. Ironically, if the car was mostly free from the usual paint and other body defects it may have been easily repaired in a day or two. The cosmetic quality issues the Y are bad enough that short sellers are better served in those threads. Try not to live in a bubble an also let an OP respond a few times before going into page 2.

I'm going to give the OP the benefit and assume the posting is 100% legit. What I find surprising is why 3 people would mark the OPS post as "funny". Why? @outdoors, @kevin1, @MTL_HABS1909

• Funny
Reactions: outdoors
I don’t have much to say, just getting first post out in case my first experience is bad and want to post something a month or two down the road. Thou I think a rare incident and OPs next one will be fine. Will also be picking up mine at Tyson’s Corner as well!
It's not a problem not having a lot of posts and having a problem. It just is unusual that if someone has a problem (and most of us take that seriously and try to help) that the original poster doesn't have any responses or follow ups to their claim. A simple response or at least a follow up as to how the problem was resolved (or not resolved) adds validity to the OP.

• Disagree
Reactions: kevin1
It's not a problem not having a lot of posts and having a problem. It just is unusual that if someone has a problem (and most of us take that seriously and try to help) that the original poster doesn't have any responses or follow ups to their claim. A simple response or at least a follow up as to how the problem was resolved (or not resolved) adds validity to the OP.
If I was a first-time buyer of particular car brand, and then it completely broke in 30 minutes and I got my money back, I might write to share my story but might not remain active on the forums. I don't have the car, my first experience was awful, and since I likely need a car I bought something else.

Sure, it would look more legitimate if the OP checked back in. But I also don't think it implies the story is made up. Based on other threads here we all unfortunately know the story is plausible.

I have a model 3 and a 5 day old model y. No problems with either. A few years ago I had a new Infiniti Q50, all kinds of software and electronic problems. Recently I leased an Audi A4, 3 years not one single problem. Before the model Y my wife had a mercedes glc300, 2 recalls and we had to take it in the first week with issues. 7 years ago I had a new Buick that had radiator problems. I've also owned 2 Lexus. Had an es350 for 3 years with no problems. Had a gs350 that I returned after 3 weeks because the seats hurt my back more than I could bare. Teslas are the best cars I've ever owned and their so different that I'm not even sure they can be compared to other cars. It does seem like they have some production issues but they do offer a full money back return, who else does that? If you get a car with issues they will fix it or you can return it. But how many bmw, mercedes, ford's, etc. will develop constant mechanical problems in their lifetimes that a Tesla never will because there's no engine, radiator, transmission, etc. to malfunction.

Reactions: Dcd7041 and Jashev
I have a model 3 and a 5 day old model y. No problems with either. A few years ago I had a new Infiniti Q50, all kinds of software and electronic problems. Recently I leased an Audi A4, 3 years not one single problem. Before the model Y my wife had a mercedes glc300, 2 recalls and we had to take it in the first week with issues. 7 years ago I had a new Buick that had radiator problems. I've also owned 2 Lexus. Had an es350 for 3 years with no problems. Had a gs350 that I returned after 3 weeks because the seats hurt my back more than I could bare. Teslas are the best cars I've ever owned and their so different that I'm not even sure they can be compared to other cars. It does seem like they have some production issues but they do offer a full money back return, who else does that? If you get a car with issues they will fix it or you can return it. But how many bmw, mercedes, ford's, etc. will develop constant mechanical problems in their lifetimes that a Tesla never will because there's no engine, radiator, transmission, etc. to malfunction.

Don't think they will not have mechanical issues. My S had many inc two new half shafts. My 3 has had a new steering wheel, turn signal arm, all new passenger seat from mechanical failure, new dashboard. If has terrible rattles in the roof and under the dash. My GF 3 has been back in service of HVAC issues 2X, it's 3 mo old. The batteries and drive should do well overall the rest is not exactly well assembled and designed. Other car makers fix rattles, Tesla used to until it got out of hand recently. Your experience really depends on who put your car together that day and how much they cared not quality checks that clearly don't exist or work.

Reactions: kevin1 and raggedy
Don't think they will not have mechanical issues. My S had many inc two new half shafts. My 3 has had a new steering wheel, turn signal arm, all new passenger seat from mechanical failure, new dashboard. If has terrible rattles in the roof and under the dash. My GF 3 has been back in service of HVAC issues 2X, it's 3 mo old. The batteries and drive should do well overall the rest is not exactly well assembled and designed. Other car makers fix rattles, Tesla used to until it got out of hand recently. Your experience really depends on who put your car together that day and how much they cared not quality checks that clearly don't exist or work.
I'm not saying that they never have issues. But on forums like this, you tend to hear about the issues and not much from the folks that don't have problems. I've had two Model S's. In five years between them I had a failed high voltage contact point, a door handle, water in a tailight and a leak in a sunroof. All issues were quickly taken care of by Tesla. I just took delivery of my Model Y last week and the car had no issues despite my coming there with a two page checklist to go over everything. They've sold a million cars now. If 95% of them are cool then there are 50,000 cars out there with some type of issues. That makes lots of noise on a forum like this but certainly wouldn't be representative of the company.

When you've got one of those 50,000 cars I understand that it can look bleak.

Reactions: rxlawdude
I'm not saying that they never have issues. But on forums like this, you tend to hear about the issues and not much from the folks that don't have problems. I've had two Model S's. In five years between them I had a failed high voltage contact point, a door handle, water in a tailight and a leak in a sunroof. All issues were quickly taken care of by Tesla. I just took delivery of my Model Y last week and the car had no issues despite my coming there with a two page checklist to go over everything. They've sold a million cars now. If 95% of them are cool then there are 50,000 cars out there with some type of issues. That makes lots of noise on a forum like this but certainly wouldn't be representative of the company.

When you've got one of those 50,000 cars I understand that it can look bleak.

I know the Forum line but most people here tend to defend Tesla and most consumers tend to stay away from forums. I have been in the Ev industry more than 20 years. I know more than 100 people personally that own a Tesla. Let's get real for once and realize Tesla has not gotten their *sugar* together yet on consistent quality of the car body. In fact I have never seen more poorly delivered cars ever, I have been on at least 30 deliveries. Fit and finish is still unacceptable for this far in the game. You don't need to be a nit picker to know this. Let's not get to the point where they serve drinks at delivery and hand out pomp pomps in Tesla red. Tesla makes great EVs they just suck at QC and customer service and the holy Elon seems to act like there is nothing wrong because it is not in his value system.

Tesla makes great EVs they just suck at QC and customer service and the holy Elon seems to act like there is nothing wrong because it is not in his value system.
I agree that their QC needs help big time. I think the service experience varies a lot between centers. Service in our area has been absolutely top notch. It's probably one of the reasons that I don't get to bent out of shape about issues because our service centers have been so on top of getting stuff resolved. I've also seen a change in Tesla's approach to some of this stuff as they have been reaching out to Owner's Clubs with surveys and looking for suggestions on how they can improve this stuff. They are a young company going through a major transition from a niche manufacturer to a mass manufacturer. There is going to be pain in that type of paradigm shift. Early adopters were much more tolerant of the errors. Given how I see them changing the world, I am willing to cut them some slack as this gets off the ground. From the looks of the stock these days, so are the investors.

I agree that their QC needs help big time. I think the service experience varies a lot between centers. Service in our area has been absolutely top notch. It's probably one of the reasons that I don't get to bent out of shape about issues because our service centers have been so on top of getting stuff resolved. I've also seen a change in Tesla's approach to some of this stuff as they have been reaching out to Owner's Clubs with surveys and looking for suggestions on how they can improve this stuff. They are a young company going through a major transition from a niche manufacturer to a mass manufacturer. There is going to be pain in that type of paradigm shift. Early adopters were much more tolerant of the errors. Given how I see them changing the world, I am willing to cut them some slack as this gets off the ground. From the looks of the stock these days, so are the investors.

I don't cut them slack because my issue is not about growing pains but the underhanded tactics at way they treat customers. Having a brand new car that has rattles and being told you must pay to diagnose them is completely unacceptable. Even if there is a rattle they find they want to bill you to fix it. In other words, we cobble our cars together and the customer must pay to fix our poor workmanship. Also the cars that are delivered are not acceptable and if Tesla had ANY real basic QC they would not be delivered but it's about numbers. There is no way Toyota would let cars pass inspection like the ones Tesla delivers, they would be fixed before delivery. Tesla's message to customers that spend $60K is "we don't care about what our customers think or about delivering crap". No car company pushing cars like this to delivery but because Tesla has so many bad ones they feel it's ok. Just think about how bad a Tesla needs to be to be pulled from delivery. At least the cars with two different door panel colors are no longer being delivered.

• Funny
Reactions: raggedy
Picked our Y up yesterday vin in the 17k....no issues worth mentioning. Very pleased so far.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Tesla has made over 1 million vehicles. Think about it.

I remain amazed that so few apparently went through high school and/or college and have absolutely no knowledge or concept of statistics . . . . If this had been ANY other brand:

A. We'd have never heard about it as NO other brand has the following of Tesla; and,

B. You'd still be stuck with it as NO other brand has a 7-day return policy, no questions asked . . . .

So order or get another one and be done with it.

Crazy thread.

(And learn about stats. Please. A sample size of ONE is a sample size of ONE.)