Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Performance: 21 -> 19' Rim impact

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi - we are expecting our MYP in a couple of weeks. A key question is whether to change to smaller rim - for a variety of reasons mentioned on the internet.

Some fundamental questions are:
  1. Given the car has staggered tires. Changing it to 19' standardized wheels - what is the impact on handling / steering / cornering / accelerating ? Am worried about this change messing the car.
  2. Is there any specific re-calibration that is needed?
  3. Can someone give a definitive answer on warranty?

For folks that have done this change - please share your experiences. I am in New Jersey - so if you can share which tire shop you used and where did you buy the 19' wheels that would be super helpful?

Note - in full transparency, we are buying MYP (versus MYLR) only because its available much sooner.
Reason we are buying MYP is because our M3 got totaled in a hydroplaning accident - that is why we are paranoid about tires now!

Thanks!

Changing from 21 to 19 on an MYP will of course depend on tires as well as the wheel size. But I stuck with an all-season performance tire (though a different brand), and frankly didn't notice a ton of difference. You do lose a little bit of sharpness in the steering, but you gain a little better ride and a little more protection against blowouts. (And cheaper replacement tires). [...]

I don't recall noticing any difference in acceleration on the MYP, though the TSportline wheels I got are quite a bit lighter.

Responding to myself as I recently changed wheels/tires again, and was a little surprised...

My 2022 MYP came with the OEM 21" Uberturbine wheels and Michelin all-seasons.
After 200 miles, I replaced them with Tsportline 19" TSS wheels with Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 Plus All-Season tires.
As I noted above, I didn't notice very much difference despite driving them back-to-back, which surprised me - I have noted fairly large differences in the past when changing wheel/tire setup on other Teslas.

Here's the new part: I just put back on some 21" Uberturbines, but this time with the OEM Pirelli PZERO Elect summer tires. This time, I noticed a big difference! First off, the summer tires are a fair bit louder, and a little rougher. The grip is quite a bit better as expected when accelerating (easiest to notice if you are doing a bit of a turn). But the big surprise to me is the change in required steering input when I vary the throttle in a corner. On both previous sets of all-season tires, the Y would shift notably if I accelerated or decelerated, and I'd have to vary pressure (aka "struggle") on the steering wheel to keep my line through the corner. This was something I noted carefully, because it was a large and disappointing difference from my previous M3P. But with the latest tires, about half of that is gone! It's still definitely not as good as the M3P was, but it is a lot easier to keep my line through a corner when changing speeds.

It's the same wheels I started with...obviously tires make a difference, but I didn't expect this much. Do the summer tires have sidewalls that much stiffer than the all-seasons? Or maybe I'm just not remembering as well as I think I am. Maybe the Continental all-seasons changed as the broke-in or wore down? (They are still not terribly worn; they have less than 7k miles on them).

In any event, with tires more similar to what I had on the M3P, my MYP still doesn't handle as well, but the difference is not as large as I previously described. That's why I wanted to update my post here.

Upvote 0
Yes Summer tires have much stiffer sidewalls. I went from Pilot Sport 4S (summer) to Pilot Sport A/S 4 in my last car (non-Tesla) and was surprised by how much quieter it was. The winter grip on the summers were abysmal, and the AS were also a tad more forgiving to bumps, but the noise level is what stood out. I'm very happy that Tesla went with A/S4 on my MYP.

Upvote 0
Hi guys,

For those that are running 19" square setup (255/45 19) on the MYP what is the estimated range showing at 80% charge?

Thanks in advance.
Hi Guys,

The reason I've asked: leaning towards a MYP. I currently have a 2023 MYLR with 20" Induction. I've swapped to a forged 19" Martian wheels with 255 45 19 Yoko A/S Advan and I regularly show 273 at 80% charge. The when I mount the the Induction and drive a cycle or two at 80% the estimated range shows 259.

• Informative
Reactions: Noflash
Upvote 0