Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Performance Delivery ETA Pulled for New Orders

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have seen many 0-60 vids of the Y and have yet to see one 3.5 seconds. Maybe that is part of the delay. Most seem to be 3.7 to 3.9 seconds. Sounds small but they must be limiting it off the line. Does the 3 performance hit the claimed 0-60 time?

I dont know the answer to your Q but the I did notice that the Y is quite a bit sluggish on the low end (the performance version)... even compared to pre-boosted perf model 3s last yr (when they had the 3.5sec ratings) it feels very very noticeably slower and heavy - part of the reason why my wife does not want to give up our performance model 3 for performance model y

• Informative
Reactions: alloverx
The MYP with the 21s will not reach 3.5 seconds. in my opinion this is false advertising. Tesla needs to either fix that number or increase the performance. Very disappointed to learn how Tesla does business. A lot of over promise and under delivery, not something to be proud of.

The MYP with the 21s will not reach 3.5 seconds. in my opinion this is false advertising. Tesla needs to either fix that number or increase the performance. Very disappointed to learn how Tesla does business. A lot of over promise and under delivery, not something to be proud of.

Most independent tests, Edmunds, MotorTrend, DragTimes ect. have clocked the MYP at 3.7.

My Stealth MYP with 19's has been clocked at 3.5.
Tesla Model Y owner crushes advertised 0-60 mph time in real-world test

Not to sure what to think about this but it seems like the 2021 MYP comes with smaller motors?

Compare Side-by-Side

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1604381515681.jpg
    FB_IMG_1604381515681.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 65
Not to sure what to think about this but it seems like the 2021 MYP comes with smaller motors?

Compare Side-by-Side
Now this is VERY INTERESTING!! Any engineers out there now what this means for us? Or anyone familiar with electric motors, and going with this set up? Could they be smaller, BUT MORE EFFICIENT AND PERFORMANCE ROBUST motors? I don’t think they’d purposefully take away any of the Performance edge of a Model Y Performance. I’d assume it would be some kind of break through in technology or something....or so I’d hope! Any time Tesla comes out with a new electric motor, it usually ends up meaning more range because of newer technology (think Raven powertrain for example).

It also appears to take longer to charge; 10 hours versus 11.8 hours (with a standard charger, so I don’t know if that’s any kind of indicator of something?). Bigger battery?

Last edited:

Compare Side-by-Side
Thanks for sharing. The motor information is interesting but what's most peculiar to me is the Time to Charge section where it references 72A charging. What does this mean? Does the Performance have a different on board charger than the LR? If this holds true it appears the Performance has the capability to charge nearly twice as fast as the LR via the Gen 2 HPWC.

• Informative
Reactions: darrelld
Thanks for sharing. The motor information is interesting but what's most peculiar to me is the Time to Charge section where it references 72A charging. What does this mean? Does the Performance have a different on board charger than the LR? If this holds true it appears the Performance has the capability to charge nearly twice as fast as the LR via the Gen 2 HPWC.

isnt that the standard charging rate at 48mph (for the Tesla wall charger)? pretty sure all these cars already have that capability already

Even the Long Range has some different numbers when compared to last years Model Y. Maybe whatever was done when we seen the mileage increase a month or two ago, is what we are seeing here?

Attachments

• BCBAF958-964E-4679-A850-5CFF399E3AF6.jpeg
    BCBAF958-964E-4679-A850-5CFF399E3AF6.jpeg
    403.5 KB · Views: 51
If you take a look at my screenshot in my previous post, the 2021 LR is listed at 72A also.

How reliable is the info in your screenshot? It lists varying motor specs for the 2 different versions of performance Y. One with 21” wheels and one without (stealth).
It’s comes from fueleconomy.gov It’s a government website, so I’d say the source is good. Pretty sure the data they receive and post comes from EPA data as well. And unless Tesla is planning on coming back out with a “stealth” version again, then I don’t think that’s “stealth” data. They had a “stealth” in 2020, but nothing heard as of yet for 2021.

I also think this site is where we learned about the new/recent MPGe and range changes that came out before Tesla even listed the changes....so once again I’d say reliable

It’s comes from fueleconomy.gov It’s a government website, so I’d say the source is good. Pretty sure the data they receive and post comes from EPA data as well. And unless Tesla is planning on coming back out with a “stealth” version again, then I don’t think that’s “stealth” data. They had a “stealth” in 2020, but nothing heard as of yet for 2021.

I also think this site is where we learned about the new/recent MPGe and range changes that came out before Tesla even listed the changes....so once again I’d say reliable

The kw motor ratings don’t seem correct. Why wouldn’t the 2021 performance have the highest ratings?

Why does one of the LR show a front motor with <100 kw?

Drag times guy did it on the first run:

3.426 second 0-60

If you ever wonder about a Tesla Performance, always always always check Drag Times on YouTube. The guy is straighforward, has superior equipment, and reliably tests all upgrades that affect 0-60, 1/4 mile, etc.

Reactions: LicenseToDrive