Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Performance Totaled?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone,

I will try and keep this short but I'm trying get an idea if my car is a total loss. I was in an accident (everyone is ok), and the car is a mess. I was driving behind a bull dozer in a residential neighborhood (we live amongst lots of construction), and was going below the speed limit. With that said I crossed a double yellow into the opposite lane to pass and the bull dozer turned left right into my car. I believe the driver was trying to turn left to enter a construction yard, but did not indicate and was on his phone.

I am almost certain I will be at fault given the double yellow. Thoughts?

And do you think this car is totaled? Something tells me not quite...I do have the PPF etc also insured.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-09-30 at 12.46.54 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-09-30 at 12.46.54 PM.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 725
  • Screen Shot 2022-09-30 at 12.46.36 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-09-30 at 12.46.36 PM.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 358
  • Screen Shot 2022-09-30 at 12.46.17 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-09-30 at 12.46.17 PM.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 423
Glad you're safe. Be curious what your insurance says about total vs fix and the entirety of the damage.

If its leaking battery pack coolant (one pic shows it might be), its probably toast IMHO. My understanding is there is no supported way to fix this and it must be replaced, which is 30k+ all by itself.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
dang yeah honestly id want it to be totalled, as far as the double yellow. once again a tough one, a bulldozer is required to have flashing lights on and in considered to be passable. i would fight hard because if you are actively passing doesn't matter double yellow or not. Did you happen to see if it had a license plate on it? if not you are even in a better position as then it cant even act as a moving vehicle on a public road and him turning not looking out would put him at fault as he is not considered a moving vehicle on a public road. Construction vehicles are required to have flashing lights on especially if they are not registered to drive on the road and are deemed passable at all time( of course safely) so the double yellow in that case does not matter, similar to say if a bicyle was on the shoulder and you crossed over the double yellow to safely pass them, this could be a good reason to get a good lawyer

It’s totaled by my standards, any chassis damage is a no brained and you don’t want that either it will never drive straight as the chassi is bent. You can probably salvage 2 of the 4 rims, sell the doors and some other parts. Yes it’s a goner.. don’t forget to claim you wrap also.

It’s totaled by my standards, any chassis damage is a no brained and you don’t want that either it will never drive straight as the chassi is bent. You can probably salvage 2 of the 4 rims, sell the doors and some other parts. Yes it’s a goner.. don’t forget to claim you wrap also.
I don't think I'm looking to salvage parts if it's totaled. I'm just hoping they will total and provide replacement cost etc. The wrap is insured as well. I would assume the insurance company would sell the salvages vehicle no? I have no idea if a lawyer makes sense here but will look into that.

I always hate the “is my car totaled?” threads, but I’ll give this a pass. Getting hit by a bulldozer is original. Getting hit in one of the fastest vehicles by one of the slowest vehicles is comical.
You crossed a double yellow, illegally passed a vehicle on the left and got hit by the vehicle while they were turning left. Yup, that’s your fault. Even if the bulldozer didn’t signal, it would still be your fault. Without video proof, it’s also hard to prove the bulldozer driver didn’t use a hand signal to signal he was going to turn left. Also, how many people look behind them, to the left when turning left on a one lane road? None, because no one should be passing you on the left over the double yellow.

I always hate the “is my car totaled?” threads, but I’ll give this a pass. Getting hit by a bulldozer is original. Getting hit in one of the fastest vehicles by one of the slowest vehicles is comical.
You crossed a double yellow, illegally passed a vehicle on the left and got hit by the vehicle while they were turning left. Yup, that’s your fault. Even if the bulldozer didn’t signal, it would still be your fault. Without video proof, it’s also hard to prove the bulldozer driver didn’t use a hand signal to signal he was going to turn left. Also, how many people look behind them, to the left when turning left on a one lane road? None, because no one should be passing you on the left over the double yellow.
There seem to be folks that disagree with this. Regardless thanks for the comic relief.

You crossed a double yellow, illegally passed a vehicle on the left...
I often been in situations where a Uber driver was waiting for a customer, while blocking a single lane of traffic in a double yellow line zone area.
So I have to stay behind this Uber car until it moves. Using my horn sometime helps having the Uber driver giving up and moving away.

Double yellow lanes in cities are for some reasons, as there are in general located near an intersection
where there is no visiblity for cars turning right into the street or pedestrians crossing.

But one time, a bus was behind me. The driver must have been
fed up waiting and decided to pass anyway in a double yellow line zone.
At the same time, of course, another car came in front from the opposite direction.
This created a big mess, and forced the other car to back up to let the bus passing.
However, the Uber driver didn't moved at all.

Last edited: