Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is my 2023 Tesla Model Y Performance totaled?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi I had Tesla Model Y Performance, which I received on June 5th,2023 and was in an accident August 16th, 2023. I was wondering if my Tesla will be considered a total loss. My driver side curtain airbags all deployed and the driver seat airbags also deployed during the accident. The car shut off immediately and wouldn’t let me move it out of the road. The driver side rear tire was pushed inwards and is twisted to the right. Let me know what you all think because I have been hearing that this is a totaled vehicle because airbags deployed and teslas usually gets written off totaled.

Attachments

• IMG_0488.jpeg
    IMG_0488.jpeg
    848.8 KB · Views: 400
  • IMG_0495.jpeg
    IMG_0495.jpeg
    786.5 KB · Views: 308
  • IMG_0496.jpeg
    IMG_0496.jpeg
    800.2 KB · Views: 301
  • IMG_0520.jpeg
    IMG_0520.jpeg
    366.4 KB · Views: 298
Hi I had Tesla Model Y Performance, which I received on June 5th,2023 and was in an accident August 16th, 2023. I was wondering if my Tesla will be considered a total loss. The driver side and rear driver side passenger side curtain airbags all deployed and the driver seat airbags also deployed during the accident. The car shut off immediately and wouldn’t let me move it out of the road. The driver side rear tire was pushed inwards and is twisted to the right. Let me know what you all think because I have been hearing that this is a totaled vehicle because airbags deployed and teslas usually gets written off totaled.
I’ve attached few more pictures for better look.

Attachments

• IMG_0512.jpeg
    IMG_0512.jpeg
    893.2 KB · Views: 291
  • IMG_0501.jpeg
    IMG_0501.jpeg
    941.4 KB · Views: 279
Airbag deployment doesn't necessarily mean a vehicle is totaled.
It's impossible to tell from your photos how much suspension/structural damage was done to your car.
Is the left front suspension damaged, as well? Photos don't show any damage in front of the driver's side door.

Pure speculation without seeing the vehicle in person.

Airbag deployment doesn't necessarily mean a vehicle is totaled.
It's impossible to tell from your photos how much suspension/structural damage was done to your car.
Is the left front suspension damaged, as well? Photos don't show any damage in front of the driver's side door.

Pure speculation without seeing the vehicle in person.
I’m not sure about the front left suspension if it’s damaged or not, but in my opinion it is not because I was hit in the rear wheel hub area/driver side rear passenger door.

Reactions: MYLR_ON_CA
It’s most likely not totaled. However, as someone who speaks from experience after a very similar accident repair on the same vehicle… your car will never be the same again after the repair.

Even with “Tesla approved” repair centers doing the work, my car was never the same after my accident. I have to replace the tires every 10k miles (I don’t drive like an a-hole or “street” my car) and get an alignment every few months. Despite a perfect alignment, the formally affected side of my car from the accident continues to chew through the tire and wear unevenly. It’s as if the structural damage was overlooked when repairing my car. I hate it now.

Take this with a grain of salt, but even with great repair, a car is never the same once it’s been in an accident when wheel/suspension damage occurred.

• Informative
Reactions: zoomer0056
It’s most likely not totaled. However, as someone who speaks from experience after a very similar accident repair on the same vehicle… your car will never be the same again after the repair.

Even with “Tesla approved” repair centers doing the work, my car was never the same after my accident. I have to replace the tires every 10k miles (I don’t drive like an a-hole or “street” my car) and get an alignment every few months. Despite a perfect alignment, the formally affected side of my car from the accident continues to chew through the tire and wear unevenly. It’s as if the structural damage was overlooked when repairing my car. I hate it now.

Take this with a grain of salt, but even with great repair, a car is never the same once it’s been in an accident when wheel/suspension damage occurred.
I’m sorry and it sucks that it happened to you and at this point of time it was better written off as totaled then at least you could’ve gotten a new car.

It's hard to tell from the pictures. How hard were you hit? The damage to the body doesn't look bad at all, can the door still open? Fixing the door shell and quarter panel cost around 11k, then curtain airbags probably a couple of thousands. If there is no structural damage to the frame and other components then it is likely not totaled.

Reactions: MYLR_ON_CA
ScoobyDoo82: From he tone of your post, I can only assume you've been powerless getting the repair shop to make the frame/alignment whole! Totally absurd that they couldn't get it right.
OP: Keep us posted as you move forward.

It's hard to tell from the pictures. How hard were you hit? The damage to the body doesn't look bad at all, can the door still open? Fixing the door shell and quarter panel cost around 11k, then curtain airbags probably a couple of thousands. If there is no structural damage to the frame and other components then it is likely not totaled.
The rear driver passenger door can’t be opened from inside or outside.

The rear driver passenger door can’t be opened from inside or outside.
It is likely because the power has been cut off. Without power, the electronic lever will not work, or there may be other damage to the frame. An emergency mechanical pull lever is hidden in the rear door pocket (don't try it, as it can damage the window frame). I hope you can find a quick resolution. Tesla body shops are usually booked for a long time.

It is likely because the power has been cut off. Without power, the electronic lever will not work, or there may be other damage to the frame. An emergency mechanical pull lever is hidden in the rear door pocket (don't try it, as it can damage the window frame). I hope you can find a quick resolution. Tesla body shops are usually booked for a long time.
All the other doors would open but the rear driver side one wasn’t.

Ask your insurance adjuster. Much more definitive source than the interweb.

Are you asking whether you should lobby to have it totaled or not if it's close? Again, a conversation with your body shop guy will best inform that answer. Usually they'll tell you how likely a perfect repair is if it's an honest shop. Timing is another issue-- repair could take months, getting a check for a totaled vehicle is fast.

I’m sorry and it sucks that it happened to you and at this point of time it was better written off as totaled then at least you could’ve gotten a new car.
You’re not wrong. But unfortunately, I can’t control what the insurance company decided to do with my car. Deep down I was hoping that they totaled it. But, at the end of the day, they decided to pay over $20k to repair it. Sigh. But, then again.. this was during the time when the vehicle market (both new and used) was insane. Oh well.

You’re not wrong. But unfortunately, I can’t control what the insurance company decided to do with my car. Deep down I was hoping that they totaled it. But, at the end of the day, they decided to pay over $20k to repair it. Sigh. But, then again.. this was during the time when the vehicle market (both new and used) was insane. Oh well.
What kind of damage did your car had? Can you attach pictures? Do you still have the car or did you sell it?

A body shop created an estimate for $32k based on photos but the insurance wants the body shop to take the car in and tear it down for a justifiable estimate which is going to be in couple of weeks.
Wow, it'll be 2 months for this whole valuation process then, which is quite slow. Hope they found it to be totaled after tearing it down as this much amount of repair would never get your car back to prior condition.