Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Performance - what are you guys at Wh/mi?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1684775610876.png

Reactions: Mattemsmy
Wow, that is some pretty high energy consumption figures for a lot of you. I thought my MY LR on 19's was bad. Many of you are getting worse than my even MS LR did on 19's and even worse than my Plaid on 21's. Efficiency is clearly not one of the MYP's strengths for sure. I am in Texas and have high speed limits. The Y needs a bigger battery pack for sure.

just got back from a solo day trip to Yosemite. Drove there at night and came back in the late afternoon. Night temp was 50-60 with fan on. Day time was 80-90 so AC on 3. Going 60-70 mph avg, 70-75 to pass semi. Standard mode. I have on 19" martian wheels with Michelin Pilot sport 4 Summer tires with 18k miles.

Drove 444 miles RT and avg 242 wh/mi.

Noted 82 kWh (total pack size), I hit 350 mi! :)

IMG_3101.jpegIMG_3111.jpegIMG_3076.jpegIMG_3064.jpegIMG_3036.jpeg

2023 MYP with around 4000km in Australia doing around 170kw/km = 270wh/mi.

Highway speed really kills the range. 80-90km/hr is perfect speed for range in MY as wind resistance really comes into play at high speed. There was test done in Germany which got really good range when traveling at 56 mph.

Reactions: yellowr6
Honestly energy consumption statistics are practically useless here as the environment is so different for everyone. Also good to know what model and what size tires everyone is rolling on as well. How much cold weather do you have? How cold does it get? Is it hilly or flat? Do you have a lot of rain, etc.? So unless people give an idea of their environment and the speeds they drive on the highway, along with the environmental factors, this data isn't very useful.

My MY LR on 19's guzzled electrons here in Texas on the highway. It was often driven at 80+ mph with the AC or heat on. My energy consumption was often about 350 Wh/mi. Once I got over 60 mph its efficiency really started to tank, much more so than my 3. OTOH, my local speed limits are very low 30 mph. As long as I didn't get on hit hard from a light, it wasn't terrible for efficiency.

The one conclusion I can draw is my MY LR was vastly less efficient than my M3 LR on 18's, significantly worse than my MS LR on 19's and about on par with my Plaid on super stick 21's.

Maybe a simple template such as desired but at least capturing similar data points:

Model and Trim: 2021 MY LR 7 seat w/boost
Wheels/Tires: Stock 19's with Conti all seasons @ 42psi (didn't see much improvement from 44 but ride comfort was better at 42)
Environment: Texas 5 months hot weather (90F-110F), 1 month freezing or below
Urban roads:30 mph, many traffic jams
Highway: 70+mph, many roads traffic flow 80+ mph
Energy consumption: Lifetime - 14k miles 320 Wh/mi (Urban 30%/Highway70%)
Driving style: Not afraid to enjoy the car's acceleration or insert something like Mild/Medium/Aggressive
Notes: Some trailer towing. About 500 miles at 60-65 mph. Energy consumption was 450-500 Wh/mi when towing 2 jet skis (3k pounds including trailer). Rarely fully loaded.

Just mounted these. Much smoother than the 21’s but I can feel more give in the tires, so I am sure I lost a little bit of handling. Fair trade off until I upgrade the suspension.

My driving involves a lot of elevation changes. I’ll be curious to see what difference this makes. The steering feels a little lighter, so I change the steering to sport.

image0.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator: