Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's your Wh/mi and how do you do it? Any tips?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just curious, what's your Wh/mi and how do you drive to achieve it?

Mine, after 7,000 miles is 265 Wh/mi. I thought I was doing pretty good, but I see some drivers in the 230's or even lower. What kind of driving do you do and how do you achieve it?

I drive mostly highway driving. 5 minutes of small town streets, 2 hours of freeway, 5 minutes of small town streets. Then I do it again in reverse. Very little stopping and starting. I use Enhanced Auto Pilot and like it most of the time. I typically drive 4 miles over the speed limit with the bulk of my driving being at 74 mph. I have chill mode turned off. I run A/C when I want and how I want, usually at 69-70 degrees. I don't typically accelerate aggressively. I think I usually drive like a grandma (sorry grandma's).

Is it as simple as driving slower? It doesn't really bother me that I'm at 265 wh/mi but I am curious if there are a few tweaks I could make to do a little better. Or if freeway driving means I will just have higher Wh/mi than city drivers. If it's just slowing down... I'm not sure if I have the patience to do that. it's hard driving at 70 and having everyone pass me going 75 or 80. :)

Any tips and what's your Wh/mi?

Thanks.

265 is exactly what I plan on for no/lo wind moderate temp days @73mph

i see around 330 at 78.

your tires, as I understand it, don’t break in. however, tread depth (wear) does affect thing up to generally a max of 10%.

230? Maybe highways, or perhaps model 3’s?

slowing down has a diminishing return. Or perhaps speeding up has an exponential penalty. Anyway, sure slower helps, but each step less and less as you slow. For me 73-74 is a solid compromise

Last edited:
Reactions: DblOSmith
Last I looked it was 294wh/m. The first 30k+ miles were almost entirely interstate at 70+mph. The more recent 45k have mostly been commuting/local driving between 30 and 60 mph.

I only drive efficiently when going between distant Supercharger stops. Otherwise, I drive fast and charge longer. Charging time at home is irrelevant because it's parked in the garage and I'm not paying attention.

265 Wh/mi after 15k (mostly local driving) miles; it is what it is. The only way to make a lasting impact on improving the driving efficiency of the Tesla Model Y would be to always drive at the speed limit, especially on the highway. 5 MPH lower on the highway will result in ~9% improved efficiency (lower Wh/mile). The Tesla Model 3 is more efficient than the Tesla Model Y due to improved aerodynamics and lower weight (weight does not have a big impact on driving efficiency unless there are significant elevation changes while driving.)

Reactions: gad1976
Averaging 245 Wh/mi since purchased 2000+ miles ago. The number continually goes down. My mileage is 65/35 hwy/cty. I seldom accelerate hard, but I typically travel 10 mph over the speed limit (but always below 80).

IMG_0703.jpeg

In my first year in Northern Ohio, my overall average for 12,900 miles was 275 Wh/mi, averaging around 255-260 Wh/mi in the warmer months and 290-295 Wh/mi in the colder months. Similar mix of local, urban highway (60-70MPH), and open highway (70-80MPH) driving throughout the year. 42psi tire pressure and I keep the Gemini wheel covers on. Current status is 18,000 miles at 270 Wh/mi.

When I first got the MY, monitoring and maximizing Wh/mi was a bit of a game for me, although I never went below any speed limits to achieve better efficiency, but usually stayed within 2-3 mph of the posted limit on highways. Now, my default is speed limit +5 on the highways but I will increase to keep up with traffic. I used to use AP 90% of the time but am turning it off more to enjoy driving myself. I've never sacrificed comfort when using the climate controls. None of this has a material impact on my typical range requirements or charging stops on trips.

Regardless, driving the MY has eliminated my fixation on getting from point A to point B as quickly as possible that I had with previous cars. On highways, I used to find a "rabbit" car to follow and monitor Waze for troopers so I could go as fast as possible. Now, I keep the car in Chill Mode (but occasionally switch it to Standard Mode for some fun with on-ramps) and enjoy the ride and the sound system, although I still swipe the cards at the bottom of the screen to see how I'm doing on the current drive along with the tire pressure.

Reactions: Richh001
Averaging 245 Wh/mi since purchased 2000+ miles ago. The number continually goes down. My mileage is 65/35 hwy/cty. I seldom accelerate hard, but I typically travel 10 mph over the speed limit (but always below 80).

View attachment 961402
omg how! That's super impressive, even on autopilot for most driving +10 above hwy I can only get like 288 Wh/mi at best.. no idea how you all getting such great efficiency

omg how! That's super impressive, even on autopilot for most driving +10 above hwy I can only get like 288 Wh/mi at best.. no idea how you all getting such great efficiency
I find I get better Wh/mi when manually driving than I do on autopilot. I suspect the Tesla's auto pilot performance is sloppy (e.g. less efficient) on acceleration and deceleration compared with my own.

Lifetime so far (3k mi) is about 298. At least 50% of that is interstate. But it's summer down here and that means heat and humidity; the AC runs hard most of the time except for early mornings and eats a lot of juice, especially on shorter trips where the initial cooldown makes up a large portion of the trip. I try to limit hard acceleration to save tire life but it's just too fun and it gets away from me sometimes.

Lifetime average is 219. Original tires with almost 16,000 miles on them.
Much of my driving is on 45-55 mph country roads, but some interstate highway driving at 65-75 mph
I had the car in standard mode until maybe 2000 miles ago when I finally tried chill and I kind of like that better so it's been in chill mode since.
I use autopilot a lot.

Here's a recent drive, and I took this photo to show that I often get pretty close to the advertised range of 330 miles.
This was a round trip of 120 miles, using 33.4% of the battery. If I do the math correctly, that would be nearly 360 miles on a full charge.
About 80 miles of the 120 miles was on an interstate going 70-75 mph, I was using AC the entire time.

20230731T171618.jpg

Reactions: yellowr6
241 Wh/mile lifetime average. I mostly drive on county roads and usually don't go more than 5 mph above the speed limit.
And I just now realized that this is the Model Y forum whereas I have a Model 3, so disregard that number. It would probably be a bit higher in a Model Y.
@SkyDog : 219 Wh/mile is exceptionally low. Unless you tailgate to reduce your drag, it's pretty impressive.

Reactions: zoomer0056