Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's your Wh/mi and how do you do it? Any tips?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a MYP with 19”. My buddy has a LR Y with 19” too.

while I’m getting 265 ish wh/mi, he’s getting 280 ish. He’s trying hard to bring it down

we think we just figured why. I’m driving in “hold” mode while he’s on creep. so I’m doing one pedal and he’s driving it liked an ice car. I’m regening more than him.

so try hold mode if u want to improve ur efficiency.

• Informative
Reactions: Darmie
265 on a P is pretty good. I have 7700 miles on YLR with lifetime average of 269 w/mi. Approximately 75% of miles are 70-80mph interstate. I use creep exclusively, don’t like Hold at all. Too many years driving AT cars. Was on Chill for a short time but liking the power when I want/need it.

Attachments

• IMG_0657.jpeg
    IMG_0657.jpeg
    311.4 KB · Views: 88
Reactions: yellowr6 and jcanoe
Reading this I feel pretty good about my 265 over 10k miles. It just dropped to 264 this past week. :). I anticipate it’ll go up as cold weather comes. So my overall average probably will be in the 270’s or 280’s. The math is fun. It seems I am already doing the things that I can do to have a low Wh/Mi. I like normal mode over chill mode. I keep breaking regen on “hold.”. I don’t typically accelerate quickly, but do enjoying doing it from time to time. I use EAU 90% of the time. My max speed is 74 mph (almost all the time). I run A/C to cool as desired. I do set the cabin to be prepped before I leave at my appointed time. I’m happy with this. If there are any tweaks or tricks out there to eek out a few more miles I‘ll consider it. But I find I’m quickly being set in my (new) ways in my MYLR. :)

Reactions: yellowr6
just looked at my first 250 miles.

342/wh.

The performance boost from pole position to 55 has gotten the best of me many times. SO i am not surprised. I am curious what 342/wh mile equates to in actual cost and we have to run AC on max for most of the time here in Florida. Its still warm in the back if we are on short trips

• Funny
Reactions: gad1976
just looked at my first 250 miles.

342/wh
Some of the higher consumption is due to spirited acceleration but mostly due to highway driving speed. Consider having the windshield, other side glass treated with a good ceramic tint film. Turn on the Recirculate Cabin Air setting during the warmest time of the day. The tint treatment and recirculate cabin air setting will reduce the amount of energy used by the Climate Control system. These measures could lower your Wh/mile consumption by 10% to 20%.

• Helpful
Reactions: spokey and mylapore
yeah school just started, gotta get the timing down since i now have a little more mid morning early afternoon time without my son here. I have to see what i can do. I bet in the winter the performance is better since it doesn't get super cold here and then we don't need to run the ac on max cool

Are you able to specify 19 as your wheel size (Service --> Wheels and Tire Config) on your MYP? And does the max range show a higher value when using 19s versus 21 inch wheels? Thanks

martian wheekset. Stock 19” factory tires. 255/45R19.

max range when changed to 19” from 21” (service config) stay the same. Bc the MYP use a differ motor from the LR. Plus the software is different. What I was told from this forum.

so don’t look at the range number. Just loook at the percentage and keep ur wh/mi closest to 250 ish and u will get Tesla EPA numbers. But GL! Meaning, u need to follow speed limit and no crazy elevation or wind.

one time, I got to 240 ish wh/mi and drove liked 350 miles! 😁

Reactions: Pricedm
martian wheekset. Stock 19” factory tires. 255/45R19.

max range when changed to 19” from 21” (service config) stay the same. Bc the MYP use a differ motor from the LR. Plus the software is different. What I was told from this forum.

so don’t look at the range number. Just loook at the percentage and keep ur wh/mi closest to 250 ish and u will get Tesla EPA numbers. But GL! Meaning, u need to follow speed limit and no crazy elevation or wind.

one time, I got to 240 ish wh/mi and drove liked 350 miles! 😁
The MYP is too much fun to live at 250ish. You must be much more disciplined than I am with your speeds and drive in chill mode?

• Funny
Reactions: gad1976
The MYP is too much fun to live at 250ish. You must be much more disciplined than I am with your speeds and drive in chill mode?

Nope. Sport mode. 5-10 mph over limit.

I take it easy with the family inside. But when solo, I brought a P for a reason. I sold my LR with AB when the used value was at the peak. Literally traded my LR with 30k miles for a P.

I rode 2 wheels for a long time so speed is always my thing. Need to have some fun time to time but being smart about with a child now. 😃

MYLR 19" chill mode, one pedal driving.

9k miles at 274Wh/mi
the last 1600 miles at 256 Wh/mi

Most is city driving, through I will occassionally take two or three trips a year of about 500 miles. And a couple of trips a year of about 200 miles. All of those trips are highway miles where I keep it below 75. I do not use any auto drive mode except for cruise.

Reactions: yellowr6
My MYLR 23 model is now at 2.5K miles and I am getting around 300 wh/mi since inception and on recent drives/since charge etc. The energy app suggests climate and "Everything else" are consistently coming well over rated estimates. I am trying to figure out why this is the case as there weather is pretty mild right now and I am not exactly blasting the AC.

Reactions: baguette
2 month old MYLR with only 1,580 miles so maybe too new to average. So far at 236 Wh/mi, about half city half highway at 60-75 mph for work and kids practices. I assume that number goes up in the winter. While I do like to occasionally have fun with the acceleration, I mostly drive with the goal to be most efficient and see if I can get that number down 🤔

Some of the higher consumption is due to spirited acceleration but mostly due to highway driving speed. Consider having the windshield, other side glass treated with a good ceramic tint film. Turn on the Recirculate Cabin Air setting during the warmest time of the day. The tint treatment and recirculate cabin air setting will reduce the amount of energy used by the Climate Control system. These measures could lower your Wh/mile consumption by 10% to 20%.
That's what I have found. For the first 15K or so I would drop to about 261 in the summer and up to about 268/9 in the winter. Took the car on the first real long trip (NJ->Denver & back ~3900 mi). Most of it on I-70. When I left I was on my way down to the summer number at 264. Came back and my lifetime was 268 and have only dropped it to 267 since then. Those winds and 75mph roads in KS & CO killed me.

My MYLR 23 model is now at 2.5K miles and I am getting around 300 wh/mi since inception and on recent drives/since charge etc. The energy app suggests climate and "Everything else" are consistently coming well over rated estimates. I am trying to figure out why this is the case as there weather is pretty mild right now and I am not exactly blasting the AC.
So I made some progress on this. I changed the following:
1. Unplugged my Ownice T3(user for Android Auto/Apple Car Play) which creates its own WiFi and potentially contributed to excess "Everything else" in the Energy app
2. Removed the PVC tube from the rear hatch gasket which potentially may lead to insulation leak(unlikely) thus affecting Climate
3. Turned on Recirculation of air
4. Installed black roof sunshade

Setup: Outside temp 85-88F, inside temp set to 73F
Starter driving from home - a dense urban environment, with lots of stop and go traffic before hitting the freeway 2 miles later. Drove around 50 miles at speed limit on the freeway before returning home. I use hold with chill mode for driving.

Observations on energy usage - the first couple were terrible on the Wh/mi usage hitting 350+. But once I hit the freeway the numbers quickly came down with lowest usage close to 220 and average for the trip close to 250 which was also pretty much the rated value for the trip.

These results are a big improvement over my long term average of 300 - so it is good to know that there might not be anything faulty with my car overall. I think most of the improvement came from 1 and 3 above. I will go back to plugging in the Ownice and figure out its impact on usage.