Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Performance - what are you guys at Wh/mi?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sometimes I’ll see over 450wh/mile at 85-95 mph on Texas roads that are marked 85mph

WAIT A SECOND!!!
Im about to cancel ordering the car..

I typically drive 85-95MPH on highway for 200miles every other week to see a customer.
How does this wh/mile work?

I really hope my math is wrong...
Model Y Performance has a 82Kw battery, charge level typically 80%. So 65,600Wh useable, going at 85-95 doing 450wh/mile => 65,600/450 = 145 Mile Range!

You'll be stopping to supercharge along the way somewhere. The Y has basically no chance at that speed, the 3 possibly probably do it if you charge up more, but very tight. The only Tesla that could easily make it at that speed is the S. A Lucid is the only other EV that comes to mind that could do it.

Assuming you can actually maintain 85-95 mph for that long. Even here in Texas where we have high speed limits, I'd have a hard time maintaining much over 80 mph except on a highway where the speed limit is 85 mph.

Reactions: Kupe
I drove 87 miles yesterday and got 295wh/mi. There was a strong head wind on the return drive and the last time I made this trip I recorded 315wh/mi on the 21 inch ubers. Temp varied from 58-70 degrees from overcast/drizzly to sunny, and I set the speed to 72 mph on ap both ways. One passenger was in the car.

Calculated weight savings per corner was around 17 pounds or 68 pounds total

My wife’s relatively new 2023 MYP has averaged 265 Wh/mi over the 2300 miles driven. See attached trip/energy screen.

Mix of city (30%) and interstate (70%) driving. 75-80mph on the interstate is typical. The wife does not pay attention to efficiency. So, A/C or heat is always on depending on outside conditions/temperature.
Everything stock of course, including the 21’s.

IMG_7216.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: yellowr6
Went from sf to Reno and efficiency was 344 wh/mi. That’s using ac and doing 75-80 in stretches.
Reno to sf with two stops ended up 297 wh/mi.

Did a short trip that is usually 315 wh/mi and recorded 297 wh/mi.

Makes sense. The foot print is smaller on the 18’s compared to the 21’s.

Ride is much compliant now. Handling suffered a little but overall a good trade off.

Reactions: yellowr6
WAIT A SECOND!!!

I typically drive 85-95MPH on highway for 200miles every other week to see a customer.

Model Y Performance has a 82Kw battery, charge level typically 80%. So 65,600Wh useable, going at 85-95 doing 450wh/mile => 65,600/450 = 145 Mile Range!
I've thought about this scenario many times since it applies to me as well. I ended up buying the MYP for the faster car, ability to "downgrade" to a 50% lighter wheel (from 40 lbs for each OEM to about 20 lbs for an 18" wheel) which will yield me better mileage than an MYLR (which comes with 19" 30lbs wheel), and most importantly, a "Track Setting" setup which is only available in the MYP. If I take my gas car, I would still stop at least once during the 400 mile round trip to pee, gas-up and/or getting something to eat. This takes me at least 15 minutes which is enough charging time. Worst case, I'll watch one of my YT shows on top of that 15 minutes. That short charging session would be more than enough to get me home where I will continue to charge for the next day. But the BIG GAIN is doing that trip with the standard autopilot which takes quite a bit of pressure out of driving...

Just finished a 1,189 mile roundtrip in our MYP from Florida up to Georgia and back. Averaged 278 Wh/mi overall. I mostly used AP set to the speed limit which was 70mph for the most part, but with holiday traffic congestion there were stretches of lesser speeds. Great for efficiency though.

On the way back, the energy app said I was going downhill almost 2% more than uphill, so I decided to push to the farthest supercharger. I started at 100% leaving a relatives house and made it 304 miles pulling in at 2% SOC achieving 248 Wh/mi. So the downhill advantage and speed limit driving helped me reach the EPA range of 303. The second leg of the return trip in Florida wasn't as efficient without that downhill advantage and higher average speeds but I got 268 Wh/mi.

Prior to this trip, our around town driving was averaging 308 Wh/mi for the first 1,500 miles. Most of our driving is short trips under 5 miles (my wife has a 1 mile commute). And normally when we drive on the interstate we are going 75-80 mph.

Reactions: theclutch
Just finished a 1,189 mile roundtrip in our MYP from Florida up to Georgia and back. Averaged 278 Wh/mi overall. I mostly used AP set to the speed limit which was 70mph for the most part, but with holiday traffic congestion there were stretches of lesser speeds. Great for efficiency though.

On the way back, the energy app said I was going downhill almost 2% more than uphill, so I decided to push to the farthest supercharger. I started at 100% leaving a relatives house and made it 304 miles pulling in at 2% SOC achieving 248 Wh/mi. So the downhill advantage and speed limit driving helped me reach the EPA range of 303. The second leg of the return trip in Florida wasn't as efficient without that downhill advantage and higher average speeds but I got 268 Wh/mi.

Prior to this trip, our around town driving was averaging 308 Wh/mi for the first 1,500 miles. Most of our driving is short trips under 5 miles (my wife has a 1 mile commute). And normally when we drive on the interstate we are going 75-80 mph.
Great info - thanks! I bet we can get much better mileage by switching to 18" Martian wheels which weigh around 20 lbs (vs around 39 lbs EACH for the 21" Ubers). But they are super expensive and likely not cost effective if we're after mileage cost savings.

Great info - thanks! I bet we can get much better mileage by switching to 18" Martian wheels which weigh around 20 lbs (vs around 39 lbs EACH for the 21" Ubers). But they are super expensive and likely not cost effective if we're after mileage cost savings.
I went a little cheaper by going tsportline. While not forged or as light at 23 lbs a wheel i secured a set with tpms and Michelin pilot sport A/S for 3200 shipped. They have tesla tpms and the wheel were recognized once they were mounted. The increase in range is marginal. One short trip usually shows 304 wh/mi and on the 18’s it was 288 wh/mi. The real savings is from being able to rotate the tires and possibly having them last longer, and buying a new set at half the price. I reckon instead of paying 2k a set I can secure a 18 inch set for 1k. And having an older P I have a softer ride. The pirellis were getting loud at 20k miles. The ps4 a/s are much quieter.

Some will be turned off by size of the smaller wheels but I am good with them. The calipers stand out more.

WAIT A SECOND!!!

Yea if you’re doing fast runs and 0-60 pulls it’s about 150 miles of range but it will charge back up at a super charger in like 20 min. Also that’s driving in a 20 mph headwind and I may like to hit 120mph sometimes on on-ramps. I just drove from Vegas to texas and you basically just have to stop at every station to ”fill upl for 20 -30 min the whole way . The trip Only took about 3 hours longer than in my ice vehicle and cost half as much as it would have been for my old car that gets 24 mpg. Also 82kwh is not usable. You only get 76kwh the rest is not usable. The battery must never be fully drained. the trip to see your customer will most likely involve a $20+ 10 min supercharge each way. Unless you go 65-70 the whole time.

All,
I am another Texan that will add to this thread. We have a 21 MY LR AWD with 59.5K on the odometer and a 286 wh/mi. I have the Conti Extreme Contact DWS 06 Plus tires. Tire inflation is 44 lbs PSI. The HVAC stays on Auto throughout the year. During Winter I have it set at 68 degrees and then from late Spring until mid Fall I have the temperature at 72 degrees. I live in East Texas and drive to the Dallas/Ft. Worth area multiple times a week. The round trip is between 225-235 miles/day. Morning temperatures from late Spring to mid Fall are in mid 70's to low 80's and in the evenings temperatures are mid 90's to the low 100's. Interstate 20 is 75mph until you get within 20 miles of Dallas. I drive 70 in the 75 zone. 80% of my driving is highway. A year ago I charged to 90% so that I would not have to use a supercharger, but now I charge to 80% and use a Supercharger in Terrell,Tx. Typically when I get to the Supercharger in Terrell I have traveled 165 miles and my SOC is 20%. To finish my trip I charge to 50%. On weekends I charge to 50%. My battery degradation at this point is 7.5%.

Reactions: Noflash
wow, 380! I’ll be worry getting tickets left and right. Lol

if doing speed limit get u avg 250 ish , u must be going over 20 easily or stepping on it every chance u get. How’s ur tire life?

u can still be in the 200 with some care and some fun. Some days, I’ll take it easy. Some days, I need to remind myself why I got a P. I still get 280 ish with some fun. If I tried to get over 350, i probably get myself in some trouble. Haha

this is why we love our Y. U can be efficient or have some fun. :)

wow, 380! I’ll be worry getting tickets left and right. Lol

if doing speed limit get u avg 250 ish , u must be going over 20 easily or stepping on it every chance u get. How’s ur tire life?

u can still be in the 200 with some care and some fun. Some days, I’ll take it easy. Some days, I need to remind myself why I got a P. I still get 280 ish with some fun. If I tried to get over 350, i probably get myself in some trouble. Haha

this is why we love our Y. U can be efficient or have some fun. :)
Most of the time I have a mountain bike on the back or on the roof. My OEM tires lasted about 25k.