Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Performance - Winter Tire Options?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are you sure you can use gemini on the performance model y? Im not sure about that. It says on tesla's website "Note: This package is not compatible with Model Y Performance Dual Motor All-Wheel Drive configured with 21" Performance Wheels. "
No one know why Tesla states that the 19" and 20" winter tire and wheel packages are not compatible with the Performance Model Y. There are many Performance Model Y owners who have put the 19" Gemini and 20" Induction wheels on the Performance Model Y with no fitment issues. It may be that Tesla (their legal department) is concerned about liability because the winter tires in the package only carry a V speed rating (149 MPH) and the Performance Model Y's top speed is 155 MPH.

Also, if I decided to stick with my 21" wheels, would it be pretty easy to swap off the Pirelli tires for a winter tire rather than getting new wheels?
If you can find them. The lack of any all-season or winter tires to fit the 21" wheels that come on the Performance Model Y is what has been driving all of these Performance Model Y all-season and winter tire threads.

No one know why Tesla states that the 19" and 20" winter tire and wheel packages are not compatible with the Performance Model Y. There are many Performance Model Y owners who have put the 19" Gemini and 20" Induction wheels on the Performance Model Y with no fitment issues. It may be that Tesla (their legal department) is concerned about liability because the winter tires in the package only carry a V speed rating (149 MPH) and the Performance Model Y's top speed is 155 MPH.
Any change in TPMS on the gemini/inductions? or can I use existing?

If only they weren't out of stock :'(

Any change in TPMS on the gemini/inductions? or can I use existing?

If only they weren't out of stock :'(
You can use the TPMS sensors that came with the 21" wheels on the Performance Model Y with either 19" or 20" wheels. The TPMS sensors for the Model Y (latest Model 3) are BT type sensors, not interchangeable with older Tesla TPMS sensors.

I got the tires from a tire shop in Salt Lake City. You're right that Tirerack doesn't carry them, but I bet if you called some local shops in your area you could scare some up. I got the 255/45/19 104T Hakkapelitta R3 which are XL rated (up to 2000 lb). Hope the info helps, and hope you can find a set nearby. For what it's worth, I paid $270/tire + mount and balance.
Great info !Did you get the 235/45/19 for the fronts and 255/45/19's for the rear or both were 255's. Curious why the Hakka's as well.

I got the tires from a tire shop in Salt Lake City. You're right that Tirerack doesn't carry them, but I bet if you called some local shops in your area you could scare some up. I got the 255/45/19 104T Hakkapelitta R3 which are XL rated (up to 2000 lb). Hope the info helps, and hope you can find a set nearby. For what it's worth, I paid $270/tire + mount and balance.
Great info !Did you get the 235/45/19 for the fronts and 255/45/19's for the rear or both were 255's. Curious why the Hakka's as well.

I went 255 all the way around which helps with rotation too. I've had many snow tires over the years, but Hakkas and Blizzaks are my favorites. Hakkas work especially good on ice.

All that being said, I still don't have my car so the tires and wheels are sitting on a shelf in SLC waiting for my car. With my luck it'll be spring before it gets here!

I went 255 all the way around which helps with rotation too. I've had many snow tires over the years, but Hakkas and Blizzaks are my favorites. Hakkas work especially good on ice.

All that being said, I still don't have my car so the tires and wheels are sitting on a shelf in SLC waiting for my car. With my luck it'll be spring before it gets here!
Understood, thanks for the quick response, and Good luck with your MYP. You will love it ! I have the other side of problem.. Have the vehicle with Summer tires on and its Snow on the ground.. Cannot find wheel or tires. Anywhere. The Replikas are sold out. Cannot find winter tires either . I dont want to go the TSportline route if i dont have to.. they are expensive.

Question- Should I get the Blizzaks WS90- 245/ 45/ 19's all around rated at Load Index 98, OR the Michelin XIce Snow- 245/ 45/ 19XL's; load index 102.

Will the above tire sizes and ratings work? From what i understand Load rating 104 is needed for these vehicles..

Tesla specifies the tires for the Model Y as Extra Load (XL). Within the XL rating there is a range of load index specifications of the maximum weight rating per wheel. For the Tesla Model Y the load index varies by the wheel size and tire.

19" Gemini Wheels - Load Index 104 (1984 lbs) XL, Speed Rating Y (186 MPH)
20" Induction Wheels - Load Index 101(1819 lbs) XL, Speed Rating W (168 MPH)
21" Uberturbine Wheels - Load Index 98 (1653 lbs) XL (front wheels), 103 (1929 lbs) XL (rear wheels), Speed Rating Y (186 MPH)

The Tesla Model Y's weight is biased towards the rear of the Model Y. The Load Index rating takes into account starting, stopping, turning, changing lanes and towing. Without additional information from Tesla any winter or all-weather tires should have the same or higher minimum load index rating as the OE tires for the 19"/20"/21" wheels.

It may not be possible to find winter tires with a W or Y speed rating. In that case the next highest speed rating (V, 149 MPH) would be used. Speed rating also determines the stiffness of the sidewall of the tire and can affect handling.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=35

Understood, thanks for the quick response, and Good luck with your MYP. You will love it ! I have the other side of problem.. Have the vehicle with Summer tires on and its Snow on the ground.. Cannot find wheel or tires. Anywhere. The Replikas are sold out. Cannot find winter tires either . I dont want to go the TSportline route if i dont have to.. they are expensive.

Question- Should I get the Blizzaks WS90- 245/ 45/ 19's all around rated at Load Index 98, OR the Michelin XIce Snow- 245/ 45/ 19XL's; load index 102.

Will the above tire sizes and ratings work? From what i understand Load rating 104 is needed for these vehicles..

Ahhhh.. Bummer about tire availability. I heard it was going to be a tough year to find them.

I've heard really good things about the X-Ice snow tires, so that'd be my bet. I do know from experience that thinner tires generally work better in deep snow, so while they won't look as cool you may find they provide better performance. Regardless, anything is better than slipping around on the factory Pirellis!

Regarding the load rating, the X-Ice is an XL rated tire with a load rating of 102 (1874 per tire) versus the 104 rating for the Nokians that I got (2000 per tire).. but I think they'd be fine. The Max GVW for the MY is 5302 lbs with a rear axle weight bias (3607 lbs on 19" wheels) so you'd need a 1803.5 lb load rated tire minimum for the rears. Just don't tow a big trailer full of rocks!

MY GVR.JPG

Ahhhh.. Bummer about tire availability. I heard it was going to be a tough year to find them.

I've heard really good things about the X-Ice snow tires, so that'd be my bet. I do know from experience that thinner tires generally work better in deep snow, so while they won't look as cool you may find they provide better performance. Regardless, anything is better than slipping around on the factory Pirellis!

Regarding the load rating, the X-Ice is an XL rated tire with a load rating of 102 (1874 per tire) versus the 104 rating for the Nokians that I got (2000 per tire).. but I think they'd be fine. The Max GVW for the MY is 5302 lbs with a rear axle weight bias (3607 lbs on 19" wheels) so you'd need a 1803.5 lb load rated tire minimum for the rears. Just don't tow a big trailer full of rocks!

View attachment 751448
Thanks after spending hours trying to find anything at all. No luck. I guess i will have to wait. Question- Will 265/40/ R21's fit the front tires on the ModelYP ? I can possibly find the rear ones in spec 275/35/21's . If i were to get this combo will it be weird..

Thanks after spending hours trying to find anything at all. No luck. I guess i will have to wait. Question- Will 265/40/ R21's fit the front tires on the ModelYP ? I can possibly find the rear ones in spec 275/35/21's . If i were to get this combo will it be weird..
or would a Square setup with 265/40/21's with Hakka's R3 SUV be ok on OEM wheels, XL rated to 105

or would a Square setup with 265/40/21's with Hakka's R3 SUV be ok on OEM wheels, XL rated to 105

When you get into fringe cases with tire sizes, things get complicated. I have heard that 265's can fit on the front, but not sure. You could probably scare up information with some google searches or by poking around here on the forums. It seems like people are looking to go wider on the front if possible since the staggered setup provides a lot more traction on the rear with a tendency to push the front in hard cornering. The rear wheel on the MYP is wider than the front wheel, and the OEM 275's already look pretty stretched, so I think 265 on that OEM rear wheel might not work.

I don't know how bad the roads are in WA, but here in MT there's no way that I'd ever go with 21" in the winter. Too many crappy roads and potholes to contend with that I'd surely damage a rim in short order. Did you poke around on Tirerack? I realize they may also be sold out but they had a fairly decent selection of winter tire and wheel setups when I was searching in the late fall. They're also really good about knowing what fits and what works for your car.

Best of luck. I'm not even sure that I'll get my car until March at this point, so my snow tire setup is really just prep for next winter? LOL.

Reactions: Flyby
FWIW, For the winter in DC area, I swapped to the T Sportline TSV 19" Tesla Model Y Wheel and Tire Package / Satin Gray / Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 Plus All Season / 19x9.5"

So far this week was our first snow storm and it’s handled well all week on packed ice and snow since our side roads weren’t well plowed. They aren’t Blizzaks but seem to handle well and no notable issues in warm weather prior to winter either.