Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

model Y Performance with downsized wheel to increase range?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why is there not a class action about this? This upsets me because if they are going to make a change yet not change their web site concerning it then that's false advertising.
Technically it’s within spec. Both calipers are sliding single pistons. Previous rear Brembo was molded.

Mando is just as good as an OEM supplier of brake parts.

In the past you had an option to upgrade to thicker rotors from my understanding known as UPP.

Let’s be honest for a second, you’re better off with aftermarket two-piece rotors to shed some unsprung weight and pads anyways. If you were serious about performance there are larger 6-pot front brakes available also. Fits both MYP and MYLR.

Let’s be honest for a second, you’re better off with aftermarket two-piece rotors to shed some unsprung weight and pads anyways. If you were serious about performance there are larger 6-pot front brakes available also. Fits both MYP and MYLR.
I agree with you, I just hate it when a company is deceptive. At least the Performance version has better motors. And don't you dare tell me it doesn't! lol

• Funny
Reactions: hyp36rmax
I agree with you, I just hate it when a company is deceptive. At least the Performance version has better motors. And don't you dare tell me it doesn't! lol
Haha you’re correct the drivetrain is better on the MYP, there is a BUT though… some MYLR’s recieved the same 980 Rear drive motor, so in theory the only limitation is an update away.

Luckily there is an aftermarket solution from Ingenext called Ghost Mod to achieve what’s effectively MYP performance. I’d say the only way to get a MYLR 7 seater in that range without official Accelleration Boost. Not officially supported soooo YMMV lol

Haha you’re correct the drivetrain is better on the MYP, there is a BUT though… some MYLR’s recieved the same 980 Rear drive motor, so in theory the only limitation is an update away.

Luckily there is an aftermarket solution from Ingenext called Ghost Mod to achieve what’s effectively MYP performance. I’d say the only way to get a MYLR 7 seater in that range without official Accelleration Boost. Not officially supported soooo YMMV lol
Can confirm this. I have a ‘23 MYLR that came with the newer 4D1 “performance” motor and have the ghost module installed.

I thought I needed range but after driving the car I regretted not just ordering the MYP.

MYP is the better option, unless you need 7 seats. You can always ease in the throttle to gain range. Smaller diameter and lighter wheels will help towards that journey. Brakes are the same between MYP and MYLR, just red.
You can also put the MYP in chill mode rather than sport to gain some efficiency. I use chill in city usually and sport on highways.

Reactions: hyp36rmax
Couldn't you just drive less aggressively in sport mode to get the same efficiency as chill mode? Or is there something else going on with the power used in sport mode?
I find it extremely hard to mimic chill mode‘s toned down response curve when in sport mode. Not exactly everything chill mode does. Good topic to google or search on here, it’s probably been discussed. Switching between modes is not a hassle. I assigned the function to toggle to my steering wheel button 🤣.

I find it extremely hard to mimic chill mode‘s toned down response curve when in sport mode. Not exactly everything chill mode does. Good topic to google or search on here, it’s probably been discussed. Switching between modes is not a hassle. I assigned the function to toggle to my steering wheel button 🤣.
Yes and I did a quick search shortly after making my post. I'm going to try out chill mode and see what it does for me, just hope then toned down acceleration isn't a buzz kill for me. lol

Hey, I've just ordered a MYP that's due to be delivered around Nov 11th. I'm trying to get a set of the winter tire packages to have since I'll be zipping around CO mountains in the winter. Curious about any feedback regarding stock 21" wheels and tires vs any other size wheel and winter tires. The website specifically says that 19" won't fit MYP, it doesn't specify fitment restriction in the 20" Induction winter tire package but it won't let me order them as it says:
"This accessory is not compatible with the vehicles in your Tesla Account", and for the 21" winter tire package they're sold out.

How did everyone here order they're different size wheels for the MYP? If I'm going to spend money on a Winter Tire Package and have a second set of rims, I'd prefer they be a different size to compare against. Although the idea of having 2 full size spares for both front and rear is nice.

I ordered winter tires/rims from a dedicated wheel/tire shop.

You can absolutely run 19" wheels on your MYP. I have 19"x9.5 with 255/45R19 tires (square setup).

Can't comment much on efficiency but definitely notice a smoother ride vs 21's.

Hey, I've just ordered a MYP that's due to be delivered around Nov 11th. I'm trying to get a set of the winter tire packages to have since I'll be zipping around CO mountains in the winter. Curious about any feedback regarding stock 21" wheels and tires vs any other size wheel and winter tires. The website specifically says that 19" won't fit MYP, it doesn't specify fitment restriction in the 20" Induction winter tire package but it won't let me order them as it says:
"This accessory is not compatible with the vehicles in your Tesla Account", and for the 21" winter tire package they're sold out.

How did everyone here order they're different size wheels for the MYP? If I'm going to spend money on a Winter Tire Package and have a second set of rims, I'd prefer they be a different size to compare against. Although the idea of having 2 full size spares for both front and rear is nice.
Th 20" inductions should work just fine.

Th 20" inductions should work just fine.
But how do you order them from Tesla? The app blocks me from seeing the Add to Cart button on the 20" Winter Tire Package page.

I ordered winter tires/rims from a dedicated wheel/tire shop.
I spoke with a Service Center and they quoted the 20" Induction at just shy of $5k if ordered through them and not the Tesla app. It's $3500 through the app, if I could order them.

But how do you order them from Tesla? The app blocks me from seeing the Add to Cart button on the 20" Winter Tire Package page.

I spoke with a Service Center and they quoted the 20" Induction at just shy of $5k if ordered through them and not the Tesla app. It's $3500 through the app, if I could order them.
Any reason you don't want to use a non tesla shop? 2400$ cdn for a full set delivered to my door. 5$k is crazy town IMO.

Any reason you don't want to use a non tesla shop? 2400$ cdn for a full set delivered to my door. 5$k is crazy town IMO.
Was that 4x 19" wheels with tires for $2400? I'm not opposed to using anon Tesla shop, but figured you could only get those wheels through them, and they priced the rims independently at $825/pc, so the $3500 price tag seemed reasonable.

Was that 4x 19" wheels with tires for $2400? I'm not opposed to using anon Tesla shop, but figured you could only get those wheels through them, and they priced the rims independently at $825/pc, so the $3500 price tag seemed reasonable.
Yes, Wheels, tires, and TPMS sensors. They are not Gemini/induction rims but look close. Search for the Replika wheel thread for photos. I have them on both of my Ys and they look great.