Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

model Y Performance with downsized wheel to increase range?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
can anyone confirm downsizing from 21 to 19 or 20 can help increasing range on model Y performance?
Yes smaller wheel size is more efficient. that being said, I still have my 21" wheels and have done a few road trips. Doing one tomorrow :) . Been meaning to get 18" or 19" to use on road trips since they offer more protection against tire blowout from a nasty pothole and a bit more efficiency....but getting from point A to B has never been a problem in my 21" tires...that being said all my long distance driving has been within the state of California where if you spit, you just might hit a supercharger ;).

The range difference between LR and MYP has more to do with the type of tire (or so I was most recently convinced here).
Tires can make a difference; winter tires have lower efficiency, summer tires may too. It has been shown that the weight of the wheel and tire combination has a significant impact on efficiency at highway speeds. The tire's efficiency would not vary much at different speeds (you could observe the relative efficiency of different tires with city/local driving.) The Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 tire is available in 19", 20" and 21" sizes for the Tesla Model Y. It would be possible to run tests with the Michelin PS 4 tire and compare.

Reactions: ElectricAnt54
Tires can make a difference; winter tires have lower efficiency, summer tires may too. It has been shown that the weight of the wheel and tire combination has a significant impact on efficiency at highway speeds. The tire's efficiency would not vary much at different speeds (you could observe the relative efficiency of different tires with city/local driving.) The Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 tire is available in 19", 20" and 21" sizes for the Tesla Model Y. It would be possible to run tests with the Michelin PS 4 tire and compare.
I think a great test would be a MYP with the 19" Gemini/Continental combination from the MYLR. This used to be an option when the MYP first came out, but I don't recall the "Performance Upgrade" changing the range on the configurator. Surely there are MYPs with this wheel and tire setup. It's possible they are seeing a 10% improvement. I wish the range would recalibrate so a full charge would show ~330 miles at 100%, but I doubt the car is capable of doing that. Tesla should be able to provide this.

I think a great test would be a MYP with the 19" Gemini/Continental combination from the MYLR. This used to be an option when the MYP first came out, but I don't recall the "Performance Upgrade" changing the range on the configurator. Surely there are MYPs with this wheel and tire setup. It's possible they are seeing a 10% improvement. I wish the range would recalibrate so a full charge would show ~330 miles at 100%, but I doubt the car is capable of doing that. Tesla should be able to provide this.
See charts, thread created by @Zoomit

Range loss with the different wheel options

The weight difference between the 19" Gemini wheel with Continental ProContact RX tire and the 20" Induction wheel with Goodyear Eagle F1 tire is less than 2lbs. Some if not most of the higer efficiency of the 19" wheel and tire is due to the Gemini wheel covers. The Gemini wheel covers improve efficiency by 4 to 5% at highway speeds.

• Helpful
Reactions: Noflash

I made this change.

I went from OEM 21 Uberturbines with the P Zero Elects to OEM 19 Geminis with Conti ProContacts on an MYP.

The wh/mi dropped substantially, from around ~300 wh/mi to ~275. That's about an 8% increase, which if you tack it onto the MYP's stock 303 mile range, puts you right at the MYLR's range.

Clearly the size of the wheels makes a difference in range and don't understand how some can say it doesn't. With 21" wheels the Performance Model Y gets 303 miles of range. The Long Range Model Y with 20" wheels gets 318 miles of range and with 19" wheels gets 330 miles of range.

I'd like to see the range for Performance and the Long Range with 18" wheels. I want a Performance but 303 miles isn't enough for me, nor do I want low profile larger wheels because they will end up damaged and because the car is lowered that will make things even worse.

And right now comparing the Long Range with the Acceleration Boost to the Performance, it makes the Performance only $2k more and the better brakes alone make it worth that.

Last edited:
Clearly the size of the wheels makes a difference in range and don't understand how some can say it doesn't. With 21" wheels the Performance Model Y gets 303 miles of range. The Long Range Model Y with 20" wheels gets 318 miles of range and with 19" wheels gets 330 miles of range.

I'd like to see the range for Performance and the Long Range with 18" wheels. I want a Performance but 303 miles isn't enough for me, nor do I want low profile larger wheels because they will end up damaged and because the car is lowered that will make things even worse.

And right now comparing the Long Range with the Acceleration Boost to the Performance, it makes the Performance only $2k more and the better brakes alone make it worth that.
it's WEIGHT less than size
specifically, the weight of the tires rises as Tesla provides wider tires on the MYP and also staggers them. And, the weight of the wheels rises with wheel size.
by itself, size isn't the issue and there are forged wheels in the larger sizes that are much lighter than OEM. Tesla wheels are cast.

I will definitely be getting an 18" wheel package from TSportline for my new Model Y Performance and noticed they have a trade in deal. The wheels can't have more than 1,000 miles on them and they will pay to ship your old wheels to them, however they are only offering $800 for a set of 21" Uberturbines. Ouch! Think I will either hang on to them as spares or try to sell them on my own locally.

MYP is the better option, unless you need 7 seats. You can always ease in the throttle to gain range. Smaller diameter and lighter wheels will help towards that journey. Brakes are the same between MYP and MYLR, just red.