Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Performance with really heavy Wheels/Tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I remember the same being said about the present gen Honda Accord Sport rims, but then owners noticed when they went to an aftermarket wheel that was lighter their ride and handling suffered. A Honda engineered stated, the weight of the wheels aid in soaking up of bumps and ride quality. The suspension is calibrated with weight of the wheel taken into consideration. Sometimes unsprung weight is good.

Reactions: Noflash and teko
I have an order of Avant Garde M610's on the way. 20x9 (255/40) and 20x10 (285/40). Had to order the TPMS sensors from Tesla for the Y, aftermarket do not work! I am shooting for a savings of 10lbs per wheel. And I will remove the stretch as it will be a more square setup. The offsets will be very aggressive. I want it FLUSH...Woo Hoo. More to come when they get in...

I have an order of Avant Garde M610's on the way. 20x9 (255/40) and 20x10 (285/40). Had to order the TPMS sensors from Tesla for the Y, aftermarket do not work! I am shooting for a savings of 10lbs per wheel. And I will remove the stretch as it will be a more square setup. The offsets will be very aggressive. I want it FLUSH...Woo Hoo. More to come when they get in...

After market 433mhz TPMS don’t work? Are you sure about this?

Fred

Sneak peek on these freshly build fully forged 21” SV503 for i1Tesla

This set was build specific for model Y (OEM Performance Fitment) to maintain the factory geometric and efficiency. 0.5inch narrower width provide additional tire protection.

SV503 in Triple Black Tinted
(estimate weight)
21x9 ET34 (~23.0 lb)
21x9 ET29 (~23.4lb)

more detail coming soon:)

60C9C2EA-0112-4196-8F77-6E8B6E84B5DE.jpeg

4D44F7FA-6A20-4CCA-9620-D0E646A66286.jpeg

Last edited:
I already reached out to both Titan and Martian and they don't have anything ready yet...I'm curious on the offsets for Brian's from Signature. I measured for mine and I am going much more aggressive than +29/+34. We shall see how they look when they are on but I am betting you could go between 4-6mm more. The current setup is 7/16" (11mm) in on the front and 15/32" (12mm) in on the back. Then by making the rim .5 more narrow, you have to subtract another 6mm from the stock setup.

I went Avant Garde and will see how they turn out...will post specs when they arrive. Shooting for 10lb per wheel weight saving using the exact same tire. Will see if and how much it impact range versus the 21's I have now.

I read the link, thanks .... hoping the guy will report back with the Frequency specs for it. Once we can get that info we can find the after market replacement. $75.00 each for Tesla’s TPMS is crazy high.

Fred

Last edited:
I read the link, thanks .... hoping the guy will report back with the Frequency specs for it. Once we can get that info we can find the after market replacement. $75.00 each for Tesla’s TPMS is crazy high.

Fred
Not really, the aftermarket ones they were charging me for had 2 costs, the actual unit and the black stem for the rims (silver is cheaper for some reason) but the Tesla ones are the same cost whether you choose black or silver. So it is $300 from Tesla but the others were about $260. That's not a huge difference. Obviously, if one of these other aftermarket BT ones work, they are only $175 or so. Would be nice but at least we can get them from Tesla...

• Informative
Reactions: Nakk
I already reached out to both Titan and Martian and they don't have anything ready yet...I'm curious on the offsets for Brian's from Signature. I measured for mine and I am going much more aggressive than +29/+34. We shall see how they look when they are on but I am betting you could go between 4-6mm more. The current setup is 7/16" (11mm) in on the front and 15/32" (12mm) in on the back. Then by making the rim .5 more narrow, you have to subtract another 6mm from the stock setup.

I went Avant Garde and will see how they turn out...will post specs when they arrive. Shooting for 10lb per wheel weight saving using the exact same tire. Will see if and how much it impact range versus the 21's I have now.

There's a lot more room for more aggressive setup. However, Brian from i1Tesla isn't looking for the flush fitment; he wants 0.5 narrower width for more tire protection and the same fitment as stock 21". This set was built specifically base on Brian's need.

Signature wheel can build in factory setup for keeping factory geometry or aggressive fitment for aesthetic purposes. We don't believe one or two size fits all. We have built over 8 different width and offset combos on one single size for the Model 3 because every customer who was looking for the aftermarket wheels has a different goal that they would like to reach besides aesthetic (Including Model S, X and Y) . Feel free to message me if you have any fitment questions.

Last edited:
When Tesla delivered their brand new model Y to customer, the two main issues that people complain about the 21” Uberturbine Wheel are the heavy weight and wheel sticking out pass the tire. (Easy to curb the wheels)

Brian from i1Tesla and I went on a chat and discuss what will be the best of both world 21” setup for his Model Y, and here is what he is looking for:

1: Fully forged
2: Lightweight
3: Factory 21” fitment
4: More sidewall protection
5: Rotatable

Here is the result, we made it happened.
Signature wheel SV503: (Store Link)
-Weight 24lb each (21” Uberturbine weight 38lb)
-21x9 ET34 & ET29 (21” OEM fitment)
-0.5 narrower width for more sidewall protection
-Rotatable setup ( tire need to be dismount and swap around. Think of a $100 for wheel rotation every 10k miles)

View attachment 543354

Just got my M610’s. 61lbs rear and 54 front. Rear tires are huge and heavy. Rear rim is actually lighter due to the offsets. You could shave more weight if you did not have the lower offset but I wanted it aggressive for the look. Will update with some Wh/mi info later. FWIW, the ride is way better!!!
8727BE71-5B35-463A-AF57-EDBE0931DB4D.jpeg
91817F08-0C36-4EC9-8E01-AF6F8909A851.jpeg
AB2908F9-D0E3-42A3-8576-01A48E97EA58.jpeg
8F21B168-3B2C-4794-BF4B-D5DB27ABD683.jpeg

Reactions: Kelr316
Just got my M610’s. 61lbs rear and 54 front. Rear tires are huge and heavy. Rear rim is actually lighter due to the offsets. You could shave more weight if you did not have the lower offset but I wanted it aggressive for the look. Will update with some Wh/mi info later. FWIW, the ride is way better!!!

As much as I love the 21" wheels. I do think 20" is the sweet spot. Honestly I would even go with a slightly taller sidewall potentially to fill the gap a little more.. But saving 25-30 pounds of unsprung weight is always good!

Reactions: Adman2298