Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y popularity

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've only seen one on the roads so far. We didn't get the same excitement from sitting in the Y as we did with the 3, it feels more like an old person's car somehow? That's why we ended up going for the 3. I get why it is selling well though as the model 3 has its drawbacks in terms of practicality.

We had always had hatchbacks so were expecting practicality issues with the 3 ... turns out the only thing it affected was that I wasn't prepared to carry a Christmas tree threaded through from the boot to the front ... it would have fitted too! I still think the 3 could have been a hatchback but am generally delighted with its load carrying capacity. The Y is even better of course ... if you need that open space at the back ... and if you're comfortable with "the look"!

We had always had hatchbacks so were expecting practicality issues with the 3 ... turns out the only thing it affected was that I wasn't prepared to carry a Christmas tree threaded through from the boot to the front ... it would have fitted too! I still think the 3 could have been a hatchback but am generally delighted with its load carrying capacity. The Y is even better of course ... if you need that open space at the back ... and if you're comfortable with "the look"!
We have two dogs and usually put them in the boot (we have a BMW X1 currently). We could have continued to do that with the MY I guess. The extra legroom and comfort in the back seats is also appealing.

I think if they were doing a standard MY RWD for the same price as the M3 RWD it might have been a tougher choice, but we were willing to compromise on keeping the dogs in the back seat (they prefer that to being in the boot anyway), to have the M£ which we all preferred.

Plus my daughter would have killed me if I'd ordered the MY as she hated it for some reason :D

Do you think part of the reason so many are opting for the MY is just because it is the new kid in town?

Do you think part of the reason so many are opting for the MY is just because it is the new kid in town?

I read a lot of comments about dog carrying capability so that's certainly a significant element for the Y attraction. The only dog dog that's been in the boot of my 3 was as a favour to a neighbour when the poor thing had died and needed to be transported on its last journey ... obviously you couldn't put a live one in there.

I read a lot of comments about dog carrying capability so that's certainly a significant element for the Y attraction. The only dog dog that's been in the boot of my 3 was as a favour to a neighbour when the poor thing had died and needed to be transported on its last journey ... obviously you couldn't put a live one in there.

If it wasn't dead by the time you put it in there, then it probably would be by the time you took it out :D

Reactions: mjmherts
As a Model Y owner I think it's curious that Model 3 owners (despite claiming they're "ugly/old people cars") can't stop talking about them? 😉😂

I couldn't disagree any more strongly on the idea that it's a "fugly" car. Simply not true in my books. It has some awkward angles, but mainly that's to do with it being slippery / packaging and from some angles, and the tall roofline in the middle of the car catches your eye sometimes (price of convenience). But, it also has some great angles on it (for a crossover/large hatchback thing that's really quite tall). I love the look of it from the back, and front 3/4. I'm a big fan of a pronounced ducktail though, and I get some people just aren't

Anecdotally - I've had more positive comments in our Y than I ever had in my facelift model S which had the huge dark alloys etc. and whilst I would have an estate Model S over a crossover, I love the Y as a package.

I've probably seen around 10 or so since we got ours. At least half of those also waved.

As a Model Y owner I think it's curious that Model 3 owners (despite claiming they're "ugly/old people cars") can't stop talking about them? 😉😂

I couldn't disagree any more strongly on the idea that it's a "fugly" car. Simply not true in my books. It has some awkward angles, but mainly that's to do with it being slippery / packaging and from some angles, and the tall roofline in the middle of the car catches your eye sometimes (price of convenience). But, it also has some great angles on it (for a crossover/large hatchback thing that's really quite tall). I love the look of it from the back, and front 3/4. I'm a big fan of a pronounced ducktail though, and I get some people just aren't

Anecdotally - I've had more positive comments in our Y than I ever had in my facelift model S which had the huge dark alloys etc. and whilst I would have an estate Model S over a crossover, I love the Y as a package.

I've probably seen around 10 or so since we got ours. At least half of those also waved.
Don't worry it's just M3 owners justifying to themselves the fact that they don't have a proper rear hatch:D At a quick glance it's hard to tell an M3 and MY apart on the road, so if one of them really is "plug ugly" then in effect they both are.

Anyway I think the Y is nicely proportioned as a modern sporty crossover/SUV type thing. It's not for old people - it has a touchscreen FFS! Quite the contrary, it's ideal for a young family with "stuff" to haul around. The 3 is okay too, but practicality is definitely more limited without the hatch. The only place I would prefer the 3 is on a race track and neither would be my choice for a dedicated track day car.

Cooee ... Model 3 owner here! And a number of the Y owners here were/are Model 3 owners of course. We're all interested in the "Tesla journey".

A good reason for commenting in this thread is because it's a location that some prospective buyers will be looking to gauge the issues around which model to choose. There's some value to having a mix of experiences expressed because there's quite a variation of car needs and usage. Appearance of any of the models is the easiest aspect to cover for any individual ... look at the car and it's easy to decide whether you like it or not ... other people's opinions are just other people's opinions.

Reactions: s88ats and Casss
I think it's the shape. It's just really plug ugly. Definitely designed for people who go for substance over style. Hence why it looks like an old folks car. I can't see young people getting excited by it;

As a Brit, the preferred term is pug ugly. ;) I often find SUVs/CUVs/large hatchbacks pretty unattractive. I find it the least attractive Tesla personally. In contrast, I do quite like the look of the Model 3 and really like the Model S. Model X has grown on me over the years. I agree looks are likely low down on the priority list for most Model Y buyers. But looks are entirely subjective, I wouldn't personally call it an ugly car.

I have to admit I kind of dig the blacked out look on the black Model Y. When clean, at least. Probably like a larger person wearing black, it can hide some of the bulk a bit. I've seen a few in the wild here in Newcastle and visited the Tesla store/service centre here recently and saw many getting ready for collection.

Last edited:
Reactions: Neilio
pugs.jpg