Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MODEL Y PUNCTURE HELP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys,

I have had my model y for 1 year now ( 1 year into 4 year lease). Love it.

Planning on doing some serious miles this year and wanted to check what the deal was with tesla and Punctures/Tyre replace out on the road.

i see there is a SOS call in the software. Is this covered under warranty. How long is warranty ?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Matt W

Hey guys,

I have had my model y for 1 year now ( 1 year into 4 year lease). Love it.

Planning on doing some serious miles this year and wanted to check what the deal was with tesla and Punctures/Tyre replace out on the road.

i see there is a SOS call in the software. Is this covered under warranty. How long is warranty ?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Matt W
with TPMS its pretty rare to have a puncture severe enough to need recovery. I have had two punctures so far. TPMS alerted me I added air. alerted me again a day later so I drove to a garage and got a repair on one occasion and a new tyre (24 hours later) the other. If you do need recovery you can call Tesla recovery ( not the sos button) but the chances of them being able to recover you to a garage that actually has the right tyre in stock it pretty small I would think.
puncture repair / replacement will not be covered under warranty.
Consider getting a plug kit maybe. I have one but have never used it.

Edit. Tesla recovery are not great. takes 20 minutes just to get them to answer the phone. I would only use them for something that needed recovery to a service centre which would probably be a warranty covered break down. For something like a puncture or a crash I would call RAC. I would recommend getting your own cover and not relying on Tesla

Last edited:
Reactions: boombap

You pay the Tesla going rate (which is likely to be more than you can get by shopping around) and they will bring you a temporary replacement to temporarily get you back up and running as long as you are within iirc 50 miles of a service centre and they are open. Outside those parameters they will not help or you will need to wait until they are back open again. Also tyre issue is highly unlikely to be a warranty issue.

Tl;dr Tesla is not plan A for a tyre issue. Apart from tyres, It’s also only for issues covered under warranty so not an alternative to traditional breakdown cover.

Just to reiterate about SOS, also known as eCall. It’s for serious RTA’s (where it may auto call) and medical emergencies where the emergency services would need to be involved.

Last edited:
Reactions: boombap
Thank you for all your help guys. Very much appreciated.

I wont be hitting SOS or calling Tesla then.

I will get a 2 cans of Tyreweld and a plug kit. I will also get a pump ( any recommendations?)

I have breakdown cover under my bank account so will give them a call to make sure Im covered.

Thanks again,

Matt W

I
Thank you for all your help guys. Very much appreciated.

I wont be hitting SOS or calling Tesla then.

I will get a 2 cans of Tyreweld and a plug kit. I will also get a pump ( any recommendations?)

I have breakdown cover under my bank account so will give them a call to make sure Im covered.

Thanks again,

Matt W
I have a cordless one which I like cos it means I don't have to faff around with the cable when I am topping up the tyres. If it runs out of charge there is still a cable that will operate it with a flat battery. mine is the ring RTC6000. Its a bit bulky. Many others are available.
and yes I know @pgkevet that a foot pump is technically a cordless tyre inflator but I still don't want one 🤣

Reactions: WannabeOwner
Planning on doing some serious miles ... what the deal was with Punctures

I have Winter Tyres (Rims and Rubber) and on a continental journey I carry one of the wrong-season tyres with me so that if I have hassle trying to source a replacement and/or I just want to get to my destination, I can.

But other than that I also have a can of gunge, an inflation pump, and puncture-plugs ... none of which cost me very much and might well save me hours of hanging about

I

I have a cordless one which I like cos it means I don't have to faff around with the cable when I am topping up the tyres. If it runs out of charge there is still a cable that will operate it with a flat battery. mine is the ring RTC6000. Its a bit bulky. Many others are available.
and yes I know @pgkevet that a foot pump is technically a cordless tyre inflator but I still don't want one 🤣
The trouble with leccy inflators is either stringing wires around. Or finding that after not using it for a while you wait an hour for it to recharge or the blasted rechargeable cells have failed .
I have a proper compressor in the barn for normal use and do own both corded and cordless inflators and hadbthe above happen with both despite being less than 2yrs old.
I take it you're all to feeble fir a little exercise 😀

I will also get a pump ( any recommendations?)

I have some Dewalt cordless tools so decided to go with their compressor - it’s not cheap AND needs a Dewalt battery as used in their cordless tools (will also run off 12v). I’ve used it many times over last 4 years for topups and multiple full inflations and can say that it does an excellent job and reasonably quickly.

Touchwood, its the sort of tool that you can rely on to just work when you need it most which more than justifies the bit extra it may cost over some alternatives.