Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y rattles and noisy rear suspension

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Model Y is driving me nuts! In addition to the usual rattles and squeaks the rear suspension makes a strange pogo stick sound when going over larger bumps. I‘ve made a quick video with the noise in question - listen out at the beginning and also at about 11 seconds in. The service centre don’t seem to know what it is. Is this normal? Does anyone else‘s car make the same noise??

Thanks

My Model Y is driving me nuts! In addition to the usual rattles and squeaks the rear suspension makes a strange pogo stick sound when going over larger bumps. I‘ve made a quick video with the noise in question - listen out at the beginning and also at about 11 seconds in. The service centre don’t seem to know what it is. Is this normal? Does anyone else‘s car make the same noise??

Thanks
Sounds like mine.

Thanks
I dont know if it is a fault or can be fixed but I notice the gas strut on the left hand side (as looking towards the rear of the car) makes a rattle/clunk noise like this. The strut on the right makes no such noise. It looks like your video is focussing in the same area?

Opening the boot and moving it back/forth also creates a noise.

Reactions: Anssi
I dont know if it is a fault or can be fixed but I notice the gas strut on the left hand side (as looking towards the rear of the car) makes a rattle/clunk noise like this. The strut on the right makes no such noise. It looks like your video is focussing in the same area?

Opening the boot and moving it back/forth also creates a noise.
Yeah, the rear left hand side is the worst but the right hand side also makes the weird metallic clunking noise too.

Woah I’m dealing with this right now too, (2022 MYP) sounds very similar, and driving me bonkers.

Baby on the way and if I can’t solve this it looks like the car has to go, wife says it’s too “rough of a ride”, I agree with her.

What’s weird is I just got adjustable shocks / coilovers installed to get a smoother ride overall, and then this started (it wasn’t there before!) so any benefit of the coilovers / softer setting shocks is hidden by this crazy rattle / thump on every bump.

Took it back to the shop that installed the coilovers and they swapped everything but the spring out on the rear right and it didn’t change the issue, they spent two days working on the suspension and claim now it can’t be it.

I have a hunch it’s the panels under the car, and as of last night my crawling around under there I can see a few bolts missing and you can shake the wheel well panel, and it makes a similar noise. This weekend I plan a complete tear down back there to see if I can find it, wish me luck.

Did you ever solve yours?

Now to find out where to get some replacement bolts for these panels.

No, I didn’t manage to solve it. I managed to sort some of the rattles from the hatch but the clunking/squelching noise from the rear corners/suspension when going over larger bumps is still there. I’ve learned to live with it but if you manage to make some progress over the weekend I’d be interested to hear what you find.

Woah I’m dealing with this right now too, (2022 MYP) sounds very similar, and driving me bonkers.

Baby on the way and if I can’t solve this it looks like the car has to go, wife says it’s too “rough of a ride”, I agree with her.

What’s weird is I just got adjustable shocks / coilovers installed to get a smoother ride overall, and then this started (it wasn’t there before!) so any benefit of the coilovers / softer setting shocks is hidden by this crazy rattle / thump on every bump.

Took it back to the shop that installed the coilovers and they swapped everything but the spring out on the rear right and it didn’t change the issue, they spent two days working on the suspension and claim now it can’t be it.

I have a hunch it’s the panels under the car, and as of last night my crawling around under there I can see a few bolts missing and you can shake the wheel well panel, and it makes a similar noise. This weekend I plan a complete tear down back there to see if I can find it, wish me luck.

Did you ever solve yours?

Now to find out where to get some replacement bolts for these panels.
Did you get the tein endura pro plus?

I went with the Redwood Motorsports FPX coilovers, and had them installed by Redwood Motorsports themselves down in Fremont.

Update: I ended up taking it back to Redwood (again) and the rattle in the passenger rear turned out to be an improper installation issue, something to do with the spacer? (I don’t remember exactly what they said, they were a little vague on details - but it took them a long long time to troubleshoot and fix it, kudos to them for persevering with it).

That said, I’m now hearing a rattle in the front suspension over sharp bumps only that I can feel in the steering wheel (yikes!) that wasn’t there with OEM suspension either. My car is currently with another shop a little closer to home who are troubleshooting it, no resolution so far.

I’m tempted to just get the car reset to OEM and sell but Tesla’s price reductions mean the car is worth far less than I owe on it, so I might need to stick with it, haha such is life.