Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - Read doors chips damage - Repair

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After 20k miles Model Y rear doors look like that:
1626298296188.png

A bit too late, but decided to install Model Y Paint Protection Film (Model Y Paint Protection Film), but first I had to do something with damaged paint.

In attempt of avoiding expensive door re-painting tried Tesla paint repair kit ($55 Paint Repair Kit)
Applied paint all over the area with squeegee, waited couple minutes, used blending solution from kit to remove excessive paint. Repeat 3 times.

1626298956541.png

After cleanup with blending solution

1626298995519.png

Final result
1626299022324.png

Its not perfect and won't replace proper repainting, but hope someone would find it useful to save some $ or who simply likes DIY

Looks really good via your photos. I noticed some very small chips when I put on the $50 Tesla PPF this spring and thought about repairing the paint beforehand. Your example gives me a good idea on what's involved if/when I replace the PPF down the road.

Also, from the videos I've seen the Tesla supplied touch up kit is similar or identical to Dr ColorChip which has kits with the base paint, blender agent, squeegee method.

Reactions: sardox
Looks really good via your photos. I noticed some very small chips when I put on the $50 Tesla PPF this spring and thought about repairing the paint beforehand. Your example gives me a good idea on what's involved if/when I replace the PPF down the road.

Also, from the videos I've seen the Tesla supplied touch up kit is similar or identical to Dr ColorChip which has kits with the base paint, blender agent, squeegee method.
Dr. Color Chip is awesome, used on plenty of other cars, I'm sure I'll need it for this one - haha

Reactions: sardox
Is there any aftermarket option as on the tesla site it is out of stock.

Reactions: vvkp