Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y rear ended while parked. Cosmetic only? Or will there be additional hidden damage?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Tesla Model Y was rear ended at a low speed while parked by a family member, so insurance will not be paying out for the repairs. The only visible damage I'm seeing is a gap between the rear bumper and the trunk from the inside. I drove it for approximately 30 miles afterwards and did not receive any errors relating to the sensors or autopilot.
There is only one Tesla approved body shop nearby (Relentless Collision) and they are closed until Monday. I have a few questions, although I don't expect any official answers until I get a quote from the body shop once I have an appointment:

1. Does this look like a simple rear bumper replacement? Or will there be more damage uncovered once the body shop removes the rear bumper?
  2. Since I'll be paying out of pocket without the involvement of insurance companies, will this repair still show up on CarFax or other VIN check services?
  3. Can I trust the third party repair shops to fix this properly? Or should I bite the bullet and drive 3 hours to Matthews, NC to have it repaired by a Tesla service center?

Thanks in advance!

full rear.jpg

close up 1.jpg

close up 2.jpg

My Tesla Model Y was rear ended at a low speed while parked by a family member, so insurance will not be paying out for the repairs. The only visible damage I'm seeing is a gap between the rear bumper and the trunk from the inside. I drove it for approximately 30 miles afterwards and did not receive any errors relating to the sensors or autopilot.
There is only one Tesla approved body shop nearby (Relentless Collision) and they are closed until Monday. I have a few questions, although I don't expect any official answers until I get a quote from the body shop once I have an appointment:

1. Does this look like a simple rear bumper replacement? Or will there be more damage uncovered once the body shop removes the rear bumper?
  2. Since I'll be paying out of pocket without the involvement of insurance companies, will this repair still show up on CarFax or other VIN check services?
  3. Can I trust the third party repair shops to fix this properly? Or should I bite the bullet and drive 3 hours to Matthews, NC to have it repaired by a Tesla service center?

Thanks in advance!

View attachment 737762

View attachment 737763

View attachment 737764

I got rear ended on the highway almost 2 months ago and my appointment set with the certified body shop is this coming Friday. My MYP sustained damage on the rear lift gate and lower bumper piece, but the painted bumper piece appears to be OK except it looks similar to yours on the inside where it meets up with the trunk. The body shop, as far as I could tell, did not order the painted bumper piece, so I assume they will work with the existing bumper to restore it. I’m bracing for additional damage once it gets in the shop, but hoping for the best.

If your damage required a new bumper (which might mean mine does as well), replacing it appears to cost about $800-$1000. How did I know? My daughter scraped a friend’s MY painted bumper piece at my church trying to parallel park behind it. Doh!😞

Took it into the shop today. They spent a few minutes "inspecting" the "damage" and told me that they come like this from the factory. One of the employees showed me a couple of Model Ys in the parking lot with similar gaps between the rear bumper and the trunk.

No damage. No repairs needed. Case closed!

Reactions: mrwug and voxel