Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Roof rack

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I purchased the roof rack for my MY22LR 2 years ago.
I seem to recall (before I packed it away), that it came with some 3M double sided pads, that you appeared to have to stick to the glass roof, onto which the ends of the roof rack bars sat upon. (there was some other additional mechanically lock also).

It seemed that with this, these were not really "removable". As in, if I took the bars off, I'm left with pads capturing dirt and it would prevent a refit later.

On my prior vehicles, I have always fitted the roof rack when needed (cycling). I hate the wind noise they generate (never mind now having a further consideration for range impact).

Are there any MY owners, who can verify is this is indeed the case or have I got it wrong?

I ask, as I have had the chance to buy/install the tow bar (retrospectively via the app) but if I got a towbar mounted rack, it would make parking the car a nightmare given the total length of the car plus rack, so I am again now looking at what options I have.

Thanks in advance.

It’s more like a paint protection film and I imagine once stuck on would be a bit like the film just in front of the rear wheels on the door. They don’t look removable once installed but equally I don’t think they’d cause a real issue left in place. I’d have thought the purpose was solely to prevent the metal roof pad being in direct contact with the glass.

I chickened out and sold my roof rails without installing, partly because I’d had my roof glass replaced and was worried about tolerances, but that’s what it looked like.

Reactions: Roarr