Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - RPM Tesla Foldable Cargo Cover vs. OEM Model Y Parcel Shelf

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If anyone has had an RPM Tesla Foldable parcel shelf (NOT the retractable one) in their Model Y, and also installed the OEM Parcel Shelf for the model Y, I'd like to hear which one you thought was better.

I currently have an RPM Tesla parcel shelf installed (without using the adhesive) and I like it.

1.) The shelf sits tight in between the stock panels so it helps to reduce panel creak/sounds and it also helps deaden sound coming from the cargo area. Even without using the adhesive, the 2 rails that come with the kit sit well in the interior.
2.) The RPM kit's rails also have grooves to the "lock" the panel in place so it doesn't bounce when hitting bumps.
3.) The outermost lid can fold up without having to shift the panel as opposed to the OEM Z-fold parcel shelf (I saw it in videos).

I have the OEM parcel shelf and OEM panels on order, but I'm debating on whether I should keep the RPM one or install the OEM one.

1.) Does anyone have any issues with the OEM parcel shelf "bouncing" on the rails when hitting bumps?
2.) Since the OEM parcel shelf just "sits" on the rails, is there any noise coming from the parcel shelf movement (since the Model Y ride can be quite bumpy).
3.) I've seen the videos of opening the OEM cargo shelf and it appears that you actually have to fold the cargo shelf in 2 places in order to get the "lid portion" out of the way. A little iffy about this.

I have the OEM parcel shelf that came with my 2023 MYLR. If you're looking for information on that one, then the answer to your first 2 questions is no. The magnets that hold the shelf in place are quite strong and I've never heard a peep from the shelf in the back when driving over the terrible, pothole-filled roads here in New England.

Getting it out of the way can be a little fiddly but this video gave me a useful tip to make it work when I need wider access to the cargo area:

When it's folded like at the end of that video, it doesn't sit flush on the magnetic rails and I'd think it would bounce when hitting bumps, so I wouldn't use this as a method to keep it out of the way more permanently.

My last couple of SUVs had retractable covers that were super useful and this one has been an adjustment but it's growing on me and I like it.

I have the OEM parcel shelf that came with my 2023 MYLR. If you're looking for information on that one, then the answer to your first 2 questions is no. The magnets that hold the shelf in place are quite strong and I've never heard a peep from the shelf in the back when driving over the terrible, pothole-filled roads here in New England.

Getting it out of the way can be a little fiddly but this video gave me a useful tip to make it work when I need wider access to the cargo area:

When it's folded like at the end of that video, it doesn't sit flush on the magnetic rails and I'd think it would bounce when hitting bumps, so I wouldn't use this as a method to keep it out of the way more permanently.

My last couple of SUVs had retractable covers that were super useful and this one has been an adjustment but it's growing on me and I like it.
Good to hear! However, your Model Y came with this cover pictured in the video? I'm actually hoping I ordered the "newer" version with the tri-fold.

Good to hear! However, your Model Y came with this cover pictured in the video? I'm actually hoping I ordered the "newer" version with the tri-fold.
Mine does have 3 fold points - the first one is about 10 inches in from the curved part that faces you.

I didn't really pay attention to (the lack of) that first fold in that video - I was focused on using the last folds so that it can slide back towards the rear seats, which does work on mine.

I feel like that video doesn't do the magnets justice either - they're strong enough that I have to kind of punch it to get it off the magnetic rails (as a woman who lifts weights).

Mine does have 3 fold points - the first one is about 10 inches in from the curved part that faces you.

I didn't really pay attention to (the lack of) that first fold in that video - I was focused on using the last folds so that it can slide back towards the rear seats, which does work on mine.

I feel like that video doesn't do the magnets justice either - they're strong enough that I have to kind of punch it to get it off the magnetic rails (as a woman who lifts weights).
I see. So the first fold (10" in) can't fold up on its own right? Looks to be a bit wide. The RPM Tesla cover I have now actually folds up at around the same point (10" in) without having to shift the cover back. Hmm...still in debate whether to get the OEM part. LOL

I see. So the first fold (10" in) can't fold up on its own right? Looks to be a bit wide. The RPM Tesla cover I have now actually folds up at around the same point (10" in) without having to shift the cover back. Hmm...still in debate whether to get the OEM part. LOL
The first fold by itself doesn't stay stuck in place, like in this video, and I'm sure it would just snap back into place if you drove with it folded up:
But it's enough to temporarily fold back with one hand if you just need to get something further back in the cargo area.

The first fold by itself doesn't stay stuck in place, like in this video, and I'm sure it would just snap back into place if you drove with it folded up:
But it's enough to temporarily fold back with one hand if you just need to get something further back in the cargo area.
Thanks for confirming! My current one (from RPM) folds up and flat, so I could drive that way. It does look like the "flap" on the OEM one is too wide to fold up without moving the "middle area" back first (15sec into the video).

Reactions: Mrdrbot23
Visited RPM Tesla they have a nice showroom and its nice they have free Tesla home charging at the parking lot for customers but it's not 24 hours. TESLA needs to expand their SUPERCHARGING in this area of Rancho Santa Margarita. The nearest Supercharging is 10 miles away.

Reactions: Misterbee