Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Installed! Austin MY C Pillars for Parcel Shelf

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1622252-98-B (SP, C Pillar Upper Trim, ASY, LH)
162253-98-B (SP, C Pillar Upper Trim, ASY, RH) 1641293-97-B END ITEM, PARCEL SHELF

And about a month ago they revised it to:

C PILLAR UPPER TRIM, ASY, LEFT HAND(1661180-00-A) (which was correct part)
C PILLAR UPPER TRIM, ASY, RH(1494609-00-H) (which was the incorrect part - no parcel shelf support)
END ITEM, PARCEL SHELF(1641293-00-D)
Hey, so jist confirming but you order the WRONG right aide trim piece from the beginning???

Did you finaliE the CORRECT right side trim part number? Is CORRECT part number now 16661181-00-A???

So update on my shelf install: Turns out I ordered the correct parcel shelf - however Tesla sent a Model S shelf - at least this is what the SC said when I brought it back to them. They re-odered and got me the right shelf - they were very cool about it. Also, check when you get your new C-pillar trim, again I ordered the correct parts, but Tesla sent me 2 right hand sides and I didn't know until I got home and unwrapped the day of my install. After getting all the parts squared away, the install was too bad. Follow what others have said here on this thread and you will be OK. One complaint, is I did seem to lose a few of the edge clips that connect the lower trunk trim to the C Pillar trim. They are so small and a complete pain the ass to find once they drop down. Go slow when you are separating these pieces from back to front. I would recommend grabbing some at your SC when you order your trim pieces or you can order them in a pack from here: https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256...2X83b6F&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa&_randl_shipto=US

Also, I did not transfer over my old trim foam. I figured that all new Model Y's must have this new black insulation, so I just didn't bother. I can't tell the difference.

Final verdict - the shelf looks nice and is fine for most of the time. It kinda sucks when you need to get stuff in the back and it doesn't stay when you retract it back. I think the shelf is not the best design. There is a video of this new design on another thread: Cargo cover not as good as expected. and here - Cargo cover not as good as expected

This looks like a multifold newer design so who knows. I wish I would have known about this "Z-fold shelf" before I ordered my parts in late January. Would I do it again ? Eh - maybe. YMMV
So your cargo cover doesn't fold like in the link you posted?

1622252-98-B (SP, C Pillar Upper Trim, ASY, LH)
162253-98-B (SP, C Pillar Upper Trim, ASY, RH) 1641293-97-B END ITEM, PARCEL SHELF

And about a month ago they revised it to:

C PILLAR UPPER TRIM, ASY, LEFT HAND(1661180-00-A) (which was correct part)
C PILLAR UPPER TRIM, ASY, RH(1494609-00-H) (which was the incorrect part - no parcel shelf support)
END ITEM, PARCEL SHELF(1641293-00-D)
When you say "they revised it", are you talking about Tesla changing identifying part numbers? Or your service rep typing in different part numbers than you ordered? ?

In your previous post it says you originally had 162 numbers and they manually changed those numbers to the 149 numbers (which you are saying is incorrect).

Just trying to clarify correct numbers when I try to order.

There are magnets - it doesn’t move. I find that we slide it forward a lot and have the first fold hang in back of the seat. My wife is not a huge fan. She is always sliding it forward to put things in the trunk. I like the look of it - functionally - it’s not the best

There are magnets - it doesn’t move. I find that we slide it forward a lot and have the first fold hang in back of the seat. My wife is not a huge fan. She is always sliding it forward to put things in the trunk. I like the look of it - functionally - it’s not the best

My experience is similar to you and your wife's. Not a fan of the design. I often find it in the way. If it were not such a pain to swap all the parts, I'd offer to trade someone for their interior panels so I can just get one of those pull shades.

My experience is similar to you and your wife's. Not a fan of the design. I often find it in the way. If it were not such a pain to swap all the parts, I'd offer to trade someone for their interior panels so I can just get one of those pull shades.
Ahhhh, after hearing all this I'm still on the edge about whether to install or not. The one I currently have (aftermarket from RPM) has the same "lip" except it can be folded up without moving the entire cover. I guess the dimensions on the OEM cover's lip are a little wider. I don't go into my trunk often but being able to fold the lip up to put groceries and what not into the trunk WITHOUT having to shift the entire cover is a blessing lol.

Reactions: snovvman
When you say "they revised it", are you talking about Tesla changing identifying part numbers? Or your service rep typing in different part numbers than you ordered? ?

In your previous post it says you originally had 162 numbers and they manually changed those numbers to the 149 numbers (which you are saying is incorrect).

Just trying to clarify correct numbers when I try to order.
Very simple.... I ordered the original #s posted. They revised to the subsequent ones. When I arrived, all was correct but one parcel shelf was the same (non parcel) shelf I have so I took nothing because they advised they weren't allowed to sell me the correct part now because of an "internal bulletin" - whatever that means....

Very simple.... I ordered the original #s posted. They revised to the subsequent ones. When I arrived, all was correct but one parcel shelf was the same (non parcel) shelf I have so I took nothing because they advised they weren't allowed to sell me the correct part now because of an "internal bulletin" - whatever that means....
Wow, so you didn't even get the parts! That's odd that they sent the wrong C-PILLAR Panel (i'm guessing that's what you meant). I've got my parts ordered, and they DID mention they don't install, but we'll see what they actually send over.

Purchased the parts from the SC in Burbank, CA, and installed them over the weekend. As others have mentioned, reading the CCS install documentation or watching a video is very helpful.

I removed both the top and bottom panels to retrieve any clips that might have fallen off and provide an easier path to the seat belt bolt. I recorded a few videos of my process and am willing to post them if anyone thinks it would be useful. Please note, that I do not produce content and these videos are pretty low-budget.

Feel free to ping me if you have any questions.

I plan on upgrading my LR brake calipers to the Performance version next.

Tesla refused to install them at the shop. Moreover, they refused to allow me to order the parts and canceled my order.

I then went over there and ripped the guy and new a-hole saying to him “what I order parts wise is none of your business. Order my damn parts.”

(That exchange followed an appointment when I showed up to have them install the shelves, and not only did they have me sit there for half an hour before telling me they weren’t going to do that work: when I told them I want the parts and I’ll do it myself, the guy told me they didn’t have the parts because they never ordered them. That guy will never forget me because his name is associated with a complaint to the Better Business Bureau.)

I then set up a mobile appointment to replace the regular part, and asked the guy if he would install shelf part for me. (I did say that if it was gonna be a problem for him, or if he was to get in trouble, that I totally understood if heh didn’t wanna do it.) dude was like “ that’s not a problem at all… That’s a piece of cake.”

The Tesla Service app consistently allows the service centers to ignore what you say or what you ask for even when you are specific and give them part numbers. Love the car hate their service centers.