Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y RWD around Australia trip by TOCWA members

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I like the link to the TOCWA page that lists the 20 people who have done the circumnavigation in a BEV (sorry Tassie)

Jeff The Walker (Jeff Johnson), the 3rd person to do it, was seriously heroic doing it in his 1st Gen LEAF. The longest trip I’ve taken in my LEAF is to Wollongong :). I met Jeff a few years ago after he had done the loop. He took a diesel generator with him!

You can read his story here… it took him 6 months to complete (although he spent about 4 months of that staying in Perth), and needed to stop up to 6 times per day to do full charges given the LEAF’s rather limiting range of 150 km (and closer to 100 km at highway speeds). He wasn’t trying to do the loop in minimum time, he was also raising money for charity.

Reactions: moa999
I like the link to the TOCWA page that lists the 20 people who have done the circumnavigation in a BEV (sorry Tassie)

Jeff The Walker (Jeff Johnson), the 3rd person to do it, was seriously heroic doing it in his 1st Gen LEAF. The longest trip I’ve taken in my LEAF is to Wollongong :). I met Jeff a few years ago after he had done the loop. He took a diesel generator with him!

You can read his story here… it took him 6 months to complete (although he spent about 4 months of that staying in Perth), and needed to stop up to 6 times per day to do full charges given the LEAF’s rather limiting range of 150 km (and closer to 100 km at highway speeds). He wasn’t trying to do the loop in minimum time, he was also raising money for charity.

I met Jeff at a car display in regional Western Australia during that trip in 2016, some youths walked up and asked the often asked question “how long does it take to charge?” Jeff casually quotes 10 seconds, they look at him sideways, he continues “5 to plug in, 5 to unplug”, they had no comeback to that.

A few details: the trips were completed on day 14 and day 17
The 14 day car consumed 2200kwh of electricity, the other 2129kwh
No electricity generstion was carried, only established power was used.
Both drivers rested overnight.
The Supercharging network between Adelaide and Gympie is brilliant, the remainder of Australia is a large work in progress.

If the exact same route etc clockwise will be will be further due to driving on the outside going clockwise and inside going anti-clockwise. The difference is small but measurable. Back of a beer coaster I get about 30Klms with a margin for error of about 10%.
The difference is slight - it's 2 × Pi × the distance between the carriageways. So about 50 metres. Counter-intuitively, it doesn't actually matter whether you're going around Australia or around the block.

There's a similar brain teaser called the "Rope around the Earth" puzzle.

• Informative
Reactions: Maximillan
If the exact same route etc clockwise will be will be further due to driving on the outside going clockwise and inside going anti-clockwise. The difference is small but measurable. Back of a beer coaster I get about 30Klms with a margin for error of about 10%.
I get about 300m difference, assuming the two lanes used are 50m apart, and instead the circumnavigate a circle of 1500km radius (though as cafz correctly states the actual radius doesn't really matter)

• Informative
Reactions: Maximillan
For those in the Perth area, come and meet the first two model Ys (and there drivers) this Saturday morning at 10.30am in the Swan Valley

Reactions: cafz and *Sparkles*