Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y RWD around Australia trip by TOCWA members

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Waiting for your Ys? I have something for you to distract you from checking your phones for SMS every 30 seconds.

From TOCWA: "Today, Harald Murphy & I set off to attempt a 15,000km BIG lap around #Australia in freshly delivered #Tesla #ModelYs. Starting in Perth, Harald will drive counter-clockwise & I clockwise. To follow along on Twitter: @tesla_wa @harald_murphy & @Ahead_of_Curve Feeling very grateful. Wish us luck!"

How cool is that! Going around Oz in a RWD Y from WA where there is not a fast charger around every corner. I'll be following them with keen interest to see how they go. They only got delivery of them on Friday and they are off!!!

Googling Setec 22kW Portable DC, seems to be about a A$6k unit from China. Quite the outlay just to double your charging speed.
Googling Setec 22kW Portable DC, seems to be about a A$6k unit from China. Quite the outlay just to double your charging speed.
The chargers won’t be disposed of at the end of the trips.
The semi permanent 22kw DC chargers at Balladonia and Madura roadhouses on the Nullarbor cost well over $6k each and will never recoup the outlay but they are doing the seperate jobs intended.

I’m guessing the decision to install a $6,000 DC charger is to increase throughput of vehicles. Some EVs have an AC charger of 7Kw and if the average added charge is about 44Kw, that 6+ hours versus 2 hours with the DC charger. That way you will have fewer instances of one EV holding up the charging of another and resulting angry customer.
Any overnight chargers can just hire a powered caravan site.

The chargers won’t be disposed of at the end of the trips
I'd hope not.
Would be very useful either permanently stationed at some of the remote sites (like Balladonia or Madura), or into TOCA or some other borrow/hire pool for those doing the lap.

Was more just pointing out it's not something that most doing the lap would have.

is almost cheating
But equally many before have borrowed $2k+ Juice Boosters which would boost charging rates from 7kW (using Tesla UMC) to 11kW.

Can you elaborate on this? It's not clear to me what you mean.
Firstly it encourages more EVs to travel, when ICE drivers see EVs on outback roads (and talk to the EV owners) they may not buy one for outback travel but they sure will consider one to drive around the built up areas on the east and west coasts. Secondly the extra EV visitors to country towns can get Locals thinking about the business opportunities from a potential wallet on wheels.