Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y satnav vs Google Maps instructions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Enjoying the car... but when the Mrs drives it she complains that our old car satnav (Google Maps over CarPlay) was more detailed in giving instructions (e.g. instead of take the 2nd exit it would say take the 2nd exit towards A320, for example). Was wondering if anybody experienced the same issue and/or if there's a way to have more "verbose" indications. Ta!

Enjoying the car... but when the Mrs drives it she complains that our old car satnav (Google Maps over CarPlay) was more detailed in giving instructions (e.g. instead of take the 2nd exit it would say take the 2nd exit towards A320, for example). Was wondering if anybody experienced the same issue and/or if there's a way to have more "verbose" indications. Ta!
I too have observed the same. Not sure if anything can be changed tough

Reactions: manub
You pretty much get what you are given unfortunately. Little option to configure anything. We only recently got alternative routes and took ages before Tesla understood the concept of waypoints.

On a plus, sounds like your second exit was really your second exit. Often it would say it was your first or even third exit. Noone is quite sure if it knows what direction it should go around a roundabout.

Reactions: Dilly and CWT3LR
I’ve never seen any car navigation system that’s as good as Google maps or similar. It is as it is. Maybe one day Tesla will add CarPlay, but I’m not holding my breath.

But on the positive side, I was a passenger in an Audi Q7 recently and the inbuilt nav was shocking. Terrible UI -laggy and difficult to do basic stuff like zoom.

Was wondering if anybody experienced the same issue and/or if there's a way to have more "verbose" indications.

Doubt you'll like my suggestions ...

I have the MAP on, with volume set to 0 / mute.

And then I use Waze on my phone and do what that tells me. I think Waze traffic data, and where there are roadworks, and mobile speed camera etc., and also the speed with which a brand new road gets included, is better. On that basis you could use Google if that's the preference.

Sooner or later the two will disagree, so that's something that has to be dealt with ... if I go with Waze then SatNav will catch-on fairly quickly ... but Waze has recommended going wrong/long way round M25 before now ... that may well be quicker, but it would require a charging stop ... so that makes for some tricky mental arithmetic especially if it only offers that advice a mile before the M25 junction!

Doubt you'll like my suggestions ...

I have the MAP on, with volume set to 0 / mute.

And then I use Waze on my phone and do what that tells me. I think Waze traffic data, and where there are roadworks, and mobile speed camera etc., and also the speed with which a brand new road gets included, is better. On that basis you could use Google if that's the preference.

Sooner or later the two will disagree, so that's something that has to be dealt with ... if I go with Waze then SatNav will catch-on fairly quickly ... but Waze has recommended going wrong/long way round M25 before now ... that may well be quicker, but it would require a charging stop ... so that makes for some tricky mental arithmetic especially if it only offers that advice a mile before the M25 junction!
Good idea :) but not sure for her would be worth to go through the hassle…

not sure for her would be worth to go through the hassle…

Definitely not for everyone, but even my Wife does that ...

Once SatNav is on mute it will stay like that (each trip), so just need to put destination into both SatNav and Waze, and park the phone somewhere where you can hear it ... I think it is worth a try, even if it seems like hassle ... one avoided speeding ticket, when distracted, or not coming round a blind bend at normal speed to find stationary traffic backed up for temporary roadworks, would make it worthwhile!