Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y SF to Seattle, New To. Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First time Tesla owner, took our new Model Y from Oakland, CA to Paulsbo, Washington, with only a few miles on the clock, learn as we go, this was my experience.
Left Oakland at 4:30 AM. with battery at 92 %.
5 charging stops on the way up. One issue on the way up. At our second stop, plugged in and went to hotel for bathroom break.
Came back to find not charging, had to go to other side of the road, so first lesson learned, make sure it is charging before you leave.
Coming Home, one stop was at Black Bear Dinner, about 11:45 AM on Friday, we got the last charger, and two more came in right after us, having to wait.
Great place to stop, but only 32A Charging.
total trip per display was 300WH/per mile.
Standard Rims Standard everything, only option was red paint.
Drove in fast lane, keeping up with traffic, using Auto Pilot much as possible.

Sounds like you did it right! ABRP was a necessary tool some years ago when the supercharger build out was thin and far between.
Now I find you can trust the car’s nav to route you to chargers appropriately 95-ish% of the time.
Both ABRP and Tesla NAP are quite accurate in their estimation for predicting which Supercharger to use before getting stranded.

However charging speed decreases when the percentage of SoC (State of Charge) increases, and starts to be very slow when fully charged.

If you watch some of the range tests from Bjørn Nyland you can noticed that:

- the Tesla NAP selects the itinerary using the lowest number of Superchargers stops,
- while ABRP provides the optimal traveling time by giving the percentage of charging needed to reach the next supercharger.​

Currently Tesla NAP is only available when sitting inside your car and provides only an itinerary starting from your current location.

Something that has been requested for a long time was to have the Tesla NAP:

- available using remotely your phone when you are at home,
- be able to choose your starting point independently of your current car location,
- and to be able to add some waypoints like when using Google map for example.​

@Freediverdave how was your Covid experience when travelling
- for making hotel reservations, finding restaurants,
- or finding some eating facilities or restrooms near a Superchargers?

Does the various vicinity that your visited were looking like a ghost town or did you find some activities available?
- I am planning travelling during the coming Thanksgiving Holidays and the Olympic peninsula would be a good destination,
but I just worry about having to order food and to have to eat in my car or in an hotel bedroom.

Last edited:
As Covid goes, I am still too nervous to eat inside . We found fast food available at every stop.
Corning had a nice restaurant, as did Grant's Pass. You would think the virus is gone, people mostly did not wear a mask at their tables.
We brought our own food for the trip, getting takeout at Grants pass.
You had to look, but bathrooms were available at ea stop.
It was a one long day trip for us, so no hotel experience. Parents had a room for us when we got there.
Tesla was pretty close on estimating charge remaining, just stopped at 80% after the first charge stop.
I found it helpful to Google the next stop to check amenities, and tips on finding the chargers.