Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New 2024 Tesla Model Y - Mileage range seems weird

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

Just picked up a new 2024 Model Y this weekend. I'm new to Tesla as well with mileage range and percentage of charge. When we left the Tesla Delivery and drove about 50 miles, we had 68% charge. When we got to our destination, we were left with about 42% charge. Does that seem right? How do you calculate miles per gallon into miles per charge, I guess? How do you determine if I'm getting the average miles per 'battery charge'?

TIA,
Nate

Hello,

Just picked up a new 2024 Model Y this weekend. I'm new to Tesla as well with mileage range and percentage of charge. When we left the Tesla Delivery and drove about 50 miles, we had 68% charge. When we got to our destination, we were left with about 42% charge. Does that seem right? How do you calculate miles per gallon into miles per charge, I guess? How do you determine if I'm getting the average miles per 'battery charge'?

TIA,
Nate
LOL, I can’t even follow what your asking.

While there are several ways to think of this, the one for me over time which I find myself mindful of once in a while is the average Wh / mile…over a 30 mile interval that’s on the direct display (looking at it at the trip A / B is an option that’s available within the menu). It may be redundant but that’s basically the average amount of energy spent to take the car a mile; needless to say the lower it is, the more efficient your car / your driving is. With my 2018 MS, I try to keep it in the 300 Wh / mile ballpark. If those of yours are 80KWh (battery size) and EPA is 300 miles per full charge, your ideal target is 267 Wh / mile.
As Tesla continues to add features over time such as preconditioning, second screen for video media consumption and Sentry mode, the energy the car requires per our mode of operation is more than just that for simple (economy / chill mode) driving. It doesn’t help that the car is fast from standstill and fun to drive…which has made me more of a lead-foot. I also find winter heating / heated seats drains the battery more than expected.

Last edited:
Thanks, @ChiefRollo. That explains it a bit. I guess I need to research more into wh / mile.
@fholber, yes it was hard to explain myself on it.

Specific to your question, a 26% drop in state of charge for a 50 mile-drive home indicates ~250 miles of range…per that stretch of roads, temperature range during that time, and your driving style including your heat settings. It seems to be within the range of normal if EPA is ~300.

Reactions: Kurt-D-Yguy
Hello,

TIA,
Nate
It's possible to get the numbers that you asked but I am not a math person.

I would rather to be practical instead. The goal is to get to my destination without running out of battery before that. I can do that with an extra 150 battery miles on the battery gauge.

I would take a note how many battery miles used in a trip.

For good weather, if my destination is 200 miles away, I won't drive until my battery gauge says it has 350 miles (150 mile buffer).

In your case of 50 mile trip, I wouldn't drive until I got at least 200 miles on the battery gauge.

If you are in subzero Chicago, 150 extra battery mile buffer might not not be enough. Just plan a good buffer number according to your driving experience/condition.

Hello,

TIA,
Nate
Tesla’s range estimates aren’t even close, I’m waiting to join the class action lawsuit.

Beyond that, one charge, one drive isn’t going to give you an idea of a realistic range.

A simple fool proof math formula. Figure 1% of charge will get you 2 miles of range. A little conservative, but it gives you some reserve. If one can’t do a 2 for 1 formula in their head while driving they are two dumb to drive.

Last week in was coming home. Tesla nav was telling me to stop at a Supercharger 11 miles from my house, when I arrived at the Supercharger I’d have 9% battery. Very simple math told me I could skip the Supercharger and make it home to my wall charger.

Last week in was coming home. Tesla nav was telling me to stop at a Supercharger 11 miles from my house, when I arrived at the Supercharger I’d have 9% battery. Very simple math told me I could skip the Supercharger and make it home to my wall charger.
The car doesn't want you to arrive at a destination with very little on the battery. It aims for you to arrive with 12-15%. If going directly to your home would have drained the battery below that minimum amount, it adds a charging stop. Not a bad feature IMHO. Easy enough to ignore and just tap 'remove charging stops' from the trip.

Reactions: Kurt-D-Yguy
I’m curious, what does your CA lawsuit allege?
There are several class action lawsuits against Tesla. I don’t know that any are limited to California residents or that all are filed in California.

"CA" = Class Action, not California.

How do you determine if I'm getting the average miles per 'battery charge'?
There are a lot, *lot* of posts about range and realistic expectations. The TLDR version is that you can achieve rated range or even better at slower speeds (maybe 45-50ish?) and by driving conservatively and without climate controls.