Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y shut down while driving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all. I’m new to this EV thing. Just picked up my new Model Y a month ago. I absolutely love this vehicle and as such I’ve been telling everyone I know what great vehicle this is.

With all that said, this morning my Model Y decided to shut down while in drive. Fortunately I was stopped and it came back relatively quick. I had not heard of this issue until it happened to me and I started researching it. Is this an issue that is known by Tesla? I’ve been trying to call Tesla Service, but apparently everything is done via the app. Any information on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

By shut down, do you mean the screen turned off? It doesn't happen often, but can and does and like yours, recovers quickly usually. Check your notifications and see if any errors were set (service section of the larger menu under the "car" leftmost button). If you don't see anything there, likely the computer driving the screen crashed and rebooted. Tesla service will also check and confirm the same if so. Just open a case in the app and they will take care of the rest remotely.

This can and does happen while actually driving as well, which can be even more unnerving but the result is the same...it comes back and you can continue to drive even with a black screen. I've even forced crash the screen while driving ("reset") by pressing/hold both steering wheel buttons when something wasn't acting correctly. All is good.

Upvote 0
Hello all. I’m new to this EV thing. Just picked up my new Model Y a month ago. I absolutely love this vehicle and as such I’ve been telling everyone I know what great vehicle this is.

With all that said, this morning my Model Y decided to shut down while in drive. Fortunately I was stopped and it came back relatively quick. I had not heard of this issue until it happened to me and I started researching it. Is this an issue that is known by Tesla? I’ve been trying to call Tesla Service, but apparently everything is done via the app. Any information on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Mine gave me a warning when on the freeway. Luckily the exit was close, so we made it there. At that moment it turned off completely and never came back. Nor reboot on the steering wheel, nor remote by the customer assistance. All locked, no AC, no emergency lights, nothing. Had to get a tow truck to the dealer and Uber myself home. No communication from the Tesla on ETA, nor a loaner. Their service is very much like i was warned in the past - close to non-existent. So - not all good...

Upvote 0
Mine gave me a warning when on the freeway. Luckily the exit was close, so we made it there. At that moment it turned off completely and never came back. Nor reboot on the steering wheel, nor remote by the customer assistance. All locked, no AC, no emergency lights, nothing. Had to get a tow truck to the dealer and Uber myself home. No communication from the Tesla on ETA, nor a loaner. Their service is very much like i was warned in the past - close to non-existent. So - not all good...
this isn't related at all to the OP though, he had the screen reboot, you had a power/motor failure.

Upvote 0