Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y SR RWD available to order for $56,290

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A separate question, I’d like to get an idea of the real world range impact of coming from a LR RWD model 3 (no heat pump) with significant battery degradation from the start.

Any ball park numbers that would help with this?
Ex, no heat pump = 40% range loss in -30C
With heat pump = 20% range loss in -30C

This would help me make the decision to downgrade from my 500km rated 3 LR to this 393km rated Y SR with extra space and improved battery management tech.

At that temp there will be little if any difference with a heat pump. The heat pump may not even work with a cold battery.

A separate question, I’d like to get an idea of the real world range impact of coming from a LR RWD model 3 (no heat pump) with significant battery degradation from the start.

Any ball park numbers that would help with this?
Ex, no heat pump = 40% range loss in -30C
With heat pump = 20% range loss in -30C

This would help me make the decision to downgrade from my 500km rated 3 LR to this 393km rated Y SR with extra space and improved battery management tech.

I have a 3 LR and S75D without heat pumps. 480ish and 380km respectively. Also had driven a friend's with heat pump.

If you believe you will constantly drive to near zero km all the time, I can see why heat pump is a differentiating factor. But if you drive like a normal person and charge normally, I can't imagine you see the difference between 380km, 480km and 560km range. The supercharger network is so widely available and home charging is so convenient.

Not sure where you live in Quebec. But I driven to Tremblant and montreal many times and there are a sufficient amount of super Chargers in the major areas.

How about only one Supercharger within 100 km of Quebec City? It was already overloaded in 2019. The only reason it's not a catastrophy now is Covid limiting travel.

No Superchargers in the Gaspesie, Beauce, Côte-Nord, Gatineau, or Abitibi régions.

Let's say you wish to visit Saguenay from Montreal (which many people do for family, leisure, or business reasons). When you enter the sole Saguenay-Lac-St-Jean Supercharger in Chicoutimi as your destination, you're going to need a very long charge in the Winter at the overloaded Lévis site to make it if you have an SR or SR+ or are towing.

This is what you get when you have lots of territory and Teslas, but only 15 Superchargers. If you live in Ontario which has 40+ Supercharger sites and don't go anywhere in Quebec far from Montreal, I agree that Supercharging isn't an issue.

Reactions: lukex4
DRL's are standard on US spec models as well

Edit: looks like the red release button are standard on all Model 3 & Y's, I think only S & X still use black ones in US - or at least they used to, look how different this looks in black
2018-Tesla-Model-S-frontal.jpg

Last edited:
How about only one Supercharger within 100 km of Quebec City? It was already overloaded in 2019. The only reason it's not a catastrophy now is Covid limiting travel.

No Superchargers in the Gaspesie, Beauce, Côte-Nord, Gatineau, or Abitibi régions.

Let's say you wish to visit Saguenay from Montreal (which many people do for family, leisure, or business reasons). When you enter the sole Saguenay-Lac-St-Jean Supercharger in Chicoutimi as your destination, you're going to need a very long charge in the Winter at the overloaded Lévis site to make it if you have an SR or SR+ or are towing.

This is what you get when you have lots of territory and Teslas, but only 15 Superchargers. If you live in Ontario which has 40+ Supercharger sites and don't go anywhere in Quebec far from Montreal, I agree that Supercharging isn't an issue.

EV owners have to accept the fact of the EV life. Sometimes it means that you can’t go very far without investing hours re-fueling. EV owners really should have a second car if they do need to go around outside the city.

I disagree. However, in Canada EV owners need to be able to use the fairly extensive CCS/CHAdeMO charging infrastructure. A CHAdeMO adapter will an EV allow to go to most places in the country without any issues.

For people driving solely in the city, there isn't much reason to get a Tesla quite frankly, the range is wasted. A Hyundai Ioniq for <$35000 CAD (after federal rebate) would do just fine.

• Funny
Reactions: cdswm3
EV owners have to accept the fact of the EV life. Sometimes it means that you can’t go very far without investing hours re-fueling. EV owners really should have a second car if they do need to go around outside the city.
The Supercharging network has been set up to go where the most travel traffic occurs. It is expanding (eg Gaspe, Val D'Or, Yellowhead).
The last 6 years of my Tesla, going all over Ontario, Quebec, Michigan, New York, and South Carolina, I've never had an issue. I thought back to the last 25 years of driving....the only places driven that would have been an issue: Timmins to Hearst Ontario, and Cape Breton Island (which is being addressed).

So I disagree with your statement, sorry

Having seen the coast to coast run in a model 3, and roadtripped as far as Halifax NS to London Ont, I strongly disagree.
In a gas car, the furthest I ever traveled was Moncton NB, and I was so wiped out by it, that I never did it again, nor would I ever have tried. An EV will roadtrip easily, provided you’re not going off road.