Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Steering Wheel Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone had any issue with the steering column having movement from side to side?
It is always present, but not typically an issue unless you hit a bump or go down a driveway on an angle and the steering wheel moves sideways as a result of the movement in the column. The steering wheel is secure itself, no issue there. The movement is around 5 to 8mm, never had this in a previous car, just wondering if its common?
I don't have a Tesla service centre nearby otherwise I would book it straight in, Canberra is like 2.5hrs away.

Any advice would be helpful. Thank you

Even if you don't want to travel 2.5 hours to the Service Centre, it is worth logging the fault through your app. They may be able to tell you something that you can do about it at home, or organise a mobile service. They may also be able to tell you if it is a critical safety issue ("Your steering column is about to fall off!") which would necessitate the inconvenience of getting it sorted out.

I tried to report this issue, the only option it gives me is to book in at a service centre. I might just have to live with it for a while as I can't get over to Canberra in the short term. Was hoping that someone else had heard of it and it was an easy fix.

For those interested, I'm not overly concerned about it being safety risk, as looking at images of the steering column parts on the internet there are fits and clearances that may be at play here in the way its mounted. I would say they'd potentially shim it out or replace a bushing of some sort to solve the issue.

Thanks everyone for the advice.

Fair enough. It is a quirk of the Tesla system that they make you book an appointment before they actually look at the nature of the issue. It can be useful to book something sufficiently far in the future to get the matter into their system, and then correspond with them about whether the service is actually needed. Up to you, of course, but I would tend to want that sort of issue at least registered with them in case it proves to be a bigger issue later.

I found a discussion about something similar in a model 3.