Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Vibration while acceleration / regeneration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was able to replicate the issue even after tire balance and road force balance. The vibration was significant during mild acceleration and deceleration/regen. I recorded the steps to replicate the issue on my phone and showed it to the service. The service was able to replicate the issue with the instructions and video I gave them. The said there was a lag between acceleration and regen.

What ever happened with this? I have a similar issue that persisted even when switching wheels tires. Tesla says tires “appear to be cupped” but they have only been installed 9 days. The lubricated both rear axles at the hub and the problem persists. Was the rear axle replaced on yours and did that correct the issue?

I was able to replicate the issue even after tire balance and road force balance. The vibration was significant during mild acceleration and deceleration/regen. I recorded the steps to replicate the issue on my phone and showed it to the service. The service was able to replicate the issue with the instructions and video I gave them. The said there was a lag between acceleration and regen.
vibration under load, be it acceleration or deceleration, is indicative of wheel bearing faults.
Improperly seated bearings likely. Could have also failed by now. A replacement axle would be called for if the half-axle includes the bearing (which most do now).

Put the car on a lift or jack it up so wheel is unloaded.
Test the bearings by holding the wheel top-bottom then side-side whilen manually trying to rock the wheel in/out.
It shouldn't rattle or jiggle in any way.

This is exactly what I’m dealing with right now it’s most noticeable under light to moderate acceleration between 30 and 40 mph. Tesla tried to blame my teeth, sport line wheels and OE continental tires. However, I put my original wheels and tires back on and all the symptoms are still there.

%&#_$)(#$&@(*#&%!!!!!!!!!!!!!

At almost 33k miles, leaving on a 1600 mile r/t road trip in 3 hours (Ug...Fort Worth-Denver...wilderness...), and twice in the last 2 days I've felt an odd, very quick, vibration, gentle no-load decel, smooth road, between 35-40mph. Almost imperceptible, just a quick flutter in the steering wheel. It reminded me of a sway bar end link bushing in my 1993 Audi S-4 that went bad, but THAT vibration was truly violent, as the link would oscillate.

Hmmm.

%&#_$)(#$&@(*#&%!!!!!!!!!!!!!

At almost 33k miles, leaving on a 1600 mile r/t road trip in 3 hours (Ug...Fort Worth-Denver...wilderness...), and twice in the last 2 days I've felt an odd, very quick, vibration, gentle no-load decel, smooth road, between 35-40mph. Almost imperceptible, just a quick flutter in the steering wheel. It reminded me of a sway bar end link bushing in my 1993 Audi S-4 that went bad, but THAT vibration was truly violent, as the link would oscillate.

Hmmm.
steering linkage or tie rod fastener loosening?

Okay...I'm an idiot. Turns out I had somehow engaged the lane-change warning, and it was vibrating when I crossed the line without signaling.

Just returned from a flawless 1700mile r/t Forth Worth-Denver.

Took delivery of a 2022 Model Y today and also noticed a vibration at 65+ mph that is most noticeable during acceleration/regeneration. At lower speeds, it's not noticeable. I was hoping it might be due to flat spots in the tires (Goodyear Eagle F1 on 20" Inductions) from sitting at SC for a couple of weeks or, at most, rebalancing the wheels. Now I have bigger concerns about potential drivetrain or axel issues. After several hundred-mile drive back, the issue seems the same.

Took delivery of a 2022 Model Y today and also noticed a vibration at 65+ mph that is most noticeable during acceleration/regeneration. At lower speeds, it's not noticeable. I was hoping it might be due to flat spots in the tires (Goodyear Eagle F1 on 20" Inductions) from sitting at SC for a couple of weeks or, at most, rebalancing the wheels. Now I have bigger concerns about potential drivetrain or axel issues. After several hundred-mile drive back, the issue seems the same.
1. check the lane-keeping setting under Autopilot. Make sure it's off. this eliminates possible have side effects.
2. have the wheels/tires checked for balance, and the alignment checked.
3. if none of above, then wheel bearings are a likely issue.
a) jack up one side of car so both wheels are off the ground.
b) grab each wheel at 12/6 o'clock and see if you can make them rattle. they should be solid. if not...it's a bad or poorly seated bearing.
c) repeat for other side of car