Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y water leak

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This water leaks are big issue these days in Korea Tesla community. More than half of Tesla Model Y users seem to have same problem.
The guy in the video says that his dry hand can touch much water under the cover, not on the black cover.
You should check your vehicle by opening the console cover from the passenger's side then accessing the sponge part with lifting up the black cover as shown in the video.
There seems to be two possibilities of the leakage. One is caused by A/C drain water, and the other is from outside.
Some people reported that Tesla Korea said that water leaks are from the outside by the small gabs of welding in steel plates.

• Informative
Reactions: StrayY and cwerdna
Upvote 0
although mine doesnt have any water in the cabin, i did notice a small puddle forming on the floor under the car near the same area. is this normal?
You will often find water dripping from the Tesla Model Y vehicle near the left front tire. This is normal and is from the AC evaporator coil. If you don't see water dripping (ever) then the AC drain line may be clogged.

• Informative
Reactions: El joe and dyau
Upvote 0
I'm using Y in Korea, 2021, May, manufactured on Fremont.
(1) July ~ mid Aug. in Korea, It had really hot weather rather than previous.
(2) After mid Aug. Heavy rain about 2 weeks across the nation (S. Korea size is a little bit smaller than California, rain covers almost all these country)

Time in (1) very humid, thus there may be many A/C drain water was one of the causality.
In case (2), Many new born car (which has just under 10 mile drive) also had leakage.

Upper California so dry and lack of rain except Feb.
And most of Model Y, perhaps in the Garage of House.

Because of different weather, Korea seems to find this issue, earlier than others.

Upvote 0
1) The AC evaporator coil will condense moisture from the air inside the cabin. The Tesla vehicle will drip water almost constantly (on the ground, just inside of the left side front wheel.) The outside air does not have to be humid for the AC to drip water; passengers add moisture to the cabin while breathing and speaking; additional passengers means more moisture must be removed from the cabin. If AC is not dripping water then the drain is blocked, water from the evaporator will back up and eventually drain inside the vehicle.

2) New Freemont built Model Y sent to SK are leaking. Possible source: improper windshield installation. If these vehicles have the BioDefense Mode HEPA air filtration then perhaps the HEPA filter box was not properly installed at the factory. Test for water leaks with water from a hose. Spray windshield and have someone inside the vehicle look for signs of water getting into the cabin (you may have to remove the trim panel on the passenger side of the center console as in the video.

Upvote 0
1630893693730.png

The red color part is the one that contains water. Water is under this cover(white) not on the upper black surface. It's not easy to access to this part. Also it's very hard to be found there is water here. Most of us use our vehicle without knowing there is water here. But if there is water, it will make serious problem like bad smell and mold. Almost half of users in Korea community report Model Y water leak. As a research so far, it seems from outside when rainy condition. Minority report the AC drain flow backward. I'll update the news again.

Upvote 0
There are 2 possible areas for this leakage. 1. AC condesor outlet pipe is too short causing AC water to sip inside the cabin (via insulation pad) rather than drip out. 2. spot welding area between main chassis and foot well area is not properly sealed.

Upvote 0
As far as today's users investigation in Korea community, there are 3 possibilities of water leakages.
First, AC drain problem. It's not long enough.
Second, the leakage from the lower part of the front window. There is no sealing somewhere. It puzzles me. It should be improved.
Third, gabs between steel frames and wheel house . There should be sealed with proper material.

Upvote 0
As far as today's users investigation in Korea community, there are 3 possibilities of water leakages.
First, AC drain problem. It's not long enough.
Second, the leakage from the lower part of the front window. There is no sealing somewhere. It puzzles me. It should be improved.
Third, gabs between steel frames and wheel house . There should be sealed with proper material.
It's a total mess!!! What a water leakage!

Upvote 0