Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y water leak

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FYI, all Model Y imported to Korea are manufactured in Fremont, and water leakage found on ones we picked up from May onwards this year. so if you are curious about it, just pop out the side panel as you would change cabin filter and stick your hand underneath the insulation pad.
Good luck!

Upvote 0
I removed the sided panel and put my hand below the insulation foam. and the foam was holding quite a bit of water that i could squeeze water out. I cannot tell of this is from rain, carwash or hvac. Hope tesla identifies problem and provide a fix to this.

Upvote 0
Updating the current state of Korea's Tesla community.
One of our users reported his investigation result after gathering information of water leaks of others. He displayed the possibilities of the water leak as follows.
You can freely refer and reuse this image if you need. He, the owner of this image allowed that. View attachment 708760
thx. i noticed that gap recently too. hope someone comes up with an aftermarket part to cover that up..

in the mean time, i might put a piece of tape or caulking on it.

Upvote 0
I removed the sided panel and put my hand below the insulation foam. and the foam was holding quite a bit of water that i could squeeze water out. I cannot tell of this is from rain, carwash or hvac. Hope tesla identifies problem and provide a fix to this.
i opened mine up and it is dry. manufacture date of august.

it hasnt rained in seattle yet. i have been using AC and my AC drains properly ( large puddles on the ground). so i dont think HVAC is the biggest problem.

Upvote 0
I wanted to provide an update. I had the AC sensors replaced a few months ago as part of a recall. Every since then there has been a minimal amount of condensation dripping out of the bottom of the car. It did occasionally but figured it was normal. When it rained I received the nasty smell. When it stopped all was ok.

After watching the video I took out the console piece and checked under and found water. Not an immense amount but more than enough. I texted the mobile guy who came to my house once and he set me up with an appointment at the SC for tomorrow. This is most likely due to the AC drain being reinstalled incorrectly or not installed at all. I just couldn’t access it. I will keep the thread posted on what happens and how long. I am assuming they will have to dry out the sound proofing material. Well I hope the will.

Upvote 0
Wouldn't this cause mold from the prolonged moisture retention or even worse, some sort of erosion of the metal floor pan?

This seems like a pretty big issue and I'm wondering if it effects early 2020 models? That could give us some indication if the issue is new or if this moisture intrusion is causing serious issues after nearly 2 years of exposure.

Upvote 0
There should be water dripping from beneath the Tesla Model Y just inside and behind the left front wheel. You should see this water dripping when the Model Y is parked and running or after having been driven. This is normal and is condensate from the evaporator coil.
Behind left front wheel, when standing in front of the car....right? Left tire, if standing behind car, right? :)

When I park my new MYP, I usually see a small puddle of water on the garage floor behind the passenger front tire.

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
Upvote 0
Behind left front wheel, when standing in front of the car....right? Left tire, if standing behind car, right? :)

When I park my new MYP, I usually see a small puddle of water on the garage floor behind the passenger front tire.
On my 2020 LRMY water from the evaporator drips from the Model Y just behind the front wheel, in board, on the driver's side.

Upvote 0
So running the AC in the garage for 20 minutes, I don’t have any condensate dripping. I pulled the panel showed in the video and felt the padding. Bone dry. Not sure what is the deal. I’ll run AC some more and see if it drips.
When at the super charger yesterday I saw some Model 3’s that had a decent puddle. Not the case from our car which had AC running as well.

any thoughts what/where I could check the drain?

Upvote 0
So running the AC in the garage for 20 minutes, I don’t have any condensate dripping. I pulled the panel showed in the video and felt the padding. Bone dry. Not sure what is the deal. I’ll run AC some more and see if it drips.
When at the super charger yesterday I saw some Model 3’s that had a decent puddle. Not the case from our car which had AC running as well.

any thoughts what/where I could check the drain?
You have to get the car on jacks and remove the protective cover from below.

Reactions: Madsen203
Upvote 0
You have to get the car on jacks and remove the protective cover from below.
Just ran AC at 65° (Exterior is 84°)

No condensate on the ground. Parked in level garage. None on plastic cover from what I could tell either.

no funky smells in the car granted I’ve only had it for 9 days (600 miles).

I have a mobile service appointment to fix the broken mirror cover (came that way from factory) and install garage door opener. Wonder if they would look at it then.

Upvote 0
My firewall is soaked. There is no way that Tesla is going to remove my full dash, replace the firewall, and put it back together properly without rattling. Impossible. They can’t even repair a flat. They are going to fix the drain plug and I will just trade this thing in. Such promise for a car and I am sorely disappointed. Spent more time at the service center in the 9 months I have owned this thing.

Upvote 0
Just ran AC at 65° (Exterior is 84°)

No condensate on the ground. Parked in level garage. None on plastic cover from what I could tell either.

no funky smells in the car granted I’ve only had it for 9 days (600 miles).

I have a mobile service appointment to fix the broken mirror cover (came that way from factory) and install garage door opener. Wonder if they would look at it then.
It’s also good to note that it’s super dry here (weather app says 30% humidity). I guess I’ll keep an eye on this and see what happens. So far, no car washes. I use waterless car wash for the most part. It’s summer so no rain either. Garage parked both at home and work (mostly).

Upvote 0
It’s also good to note that it’s super dry here (weather app says 30% humidity). I guess I’ll keep an eye on this and see what happens. So far, no car washes. I use waterless car wash for the most part. It’s summer so no rain either. Garage parked both at home and work (mostly).

Watching this clip makes me think it’s being caught in the pan (cover) and not dripping on the floor. I’m pulling the cover this weekend or next to install electric frunk. I’ll check it out then.

with no interior smells and the pad not being wet, I’ll lower my concerns.

Reactions: Deutsch100
Upvote 0
The AC system removes moisture from the passenger cabin. With only 1 passenger and the air being dry you may not always see condensation dripping below the vehicle. You could try increasing the humidity inside the passenger cabin. A few towels soaked in water left on the floor of the Tesla Model Y should do it. Leave the HVAC set to On and 70F and then exit the vehicle. You should see water dripping from beneath the Model Y after just a few minutes.

Upvote 0