Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y wheel options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Will Tesla install 18" wheels/tires on the Y? Or will they say it's out of spec? Another forum said Tesla it voids the warranty.
Many Model Y owner install 18" wheels, winter tires on the Model Y. It is fairly standard to go -1 in wheel size for winter tires as the increased sidewall depth can better survive encounters with pot holes. The overall diameter of the tire does not change, at least not enough to cause a difference in actual speed versus the speedometer readout by more than a couple of percent. Check with your local Tesla Service Center if you have any concern regarding 18" wheels, tires.

Many Model Y owner install 18" wheels, winter tires on the Model Y. It is fairly standard to go -1 in wheel size for winter tires as the increased sidewall depth can better survive encounters with pot holes. The overall diameter of the tire does not change, at least not enough to cause a difference in actual speed versus the speedometer readout by more than a couple of percent. Check with your local Tesla Service Center if you have any concern regarding 18" wheels, tires.

Sample size of one, but when I had my Y at a service center, they noticed the 18" wheels and lift kit and just thought it was cool - it didn't seem to surprise them at all.

Sample size of one, but when I had my Y at a service center, they noticed the 18" wheels and lift kit and just thought it was cool - it didn't seem to surprise them at all.
Good to know. Someone on another forum said the service center advised them it voids the warranty since it could mess with suspension. I don’t see how it would mess with the suspension but just mentioning.

Good to know. Someone on another forum said the service center advised them it voids the warranty since it could mess with suspension. I don’t see how it would mess with the suspension but just mentioning.

I assume that the aftermarket lift would void the warranty for just the suspension - I'm sure if I came in with a suspension problem they'd make me pay for it. But it definitely didn't void the whole warranty, because I've had other things fixed. I'd be surprised if different wheels and tires would be a problem, but it hasn't come up yet for me.

Any photos of your MY? Would love to see the wheels and the lift!
I assume that the aftermarket lift would void the warranty for just the suspension - I'm sure if I came in with a suspension problem they'd make me pay for it. But it definitely didn't void the whole warranty, because I've had other things fixed. I'd be surprised if different wheels and tires would be a problem, but it hasn't come up yet for me.

@mas21 has pictures on the previous page of this thread

@mas21 any efficiency update? im thinking of doing similar but with 245/60/18s

would love to check your setup out if your ever on the south side of town

I've been getting under 270 Wh/mi consistently, sometimes down to 250ish. I think it's slightly worse than before but still "normal" and hard to compare since I didn't really do a scientific test of the same routes before. Anecdotally, I'm getting better range than others I know who drive more aggressively, so to me it's within the margin of error and worth it.

I'm not positive that 245/60R18 would fit, but if you're nearby and want to take a look shoot me a DM. 0.6" bigger seems doable with the lift.

Reactions: gt2690b
I've been getting under 270 Wh/mi consistently, sometimes down to 250ish. I think it's slightly worse than before but still "normal" and hard to compare since I didn't really do a scientific test of the same routes before. Anecdotally, I'm getting better range than others I know who drive more aggressively, so to me it's within the margin of error and worth it.

I'm not positive that 245/60R18 would fit, but if you're nearby and want to take a look shoot me a DM. 0.6" bigger seems doable with the lift.
245/60 is pretty much identical to your tires diameter .. I plan on getting the lift as well.. I don’t get up to boulder often but maybe I’ll make a trip cause I’m debating the wheels and everything it’s a 2k swing depending on which way to go

Edit: it’s about 1.4% larger but still fits per other people in this site

Last edited:
E2C99AB4-319A-4A7E-B9C1-FAB6B69FAA22.jpeg

12CBA76C-AE56-499C-8FA2-3DA4EB4919D2.jpeg

Looks like unplugged performance has a dirt/ snow kit as well.

Reactions: e645824
Do you think these would fit a MY?

Brand: Enkei
Model: Raijin
Part Number: 467-995-6535BK
Color: Black
Backspacing: 6.63
Offset: +35
Wheel Diameter: 19
Wheel Width: 9.5
Hub Bore: 72.60
Load Rating: 1540
Wheel Exposed Lugs: Yes
Wheel Material: Rotary Forged
Wheel Weight:
Wheel Structure: One Piece
Wheel Spoke Number: 7
Wheel Style: Mesh
Bolt Patterns: 5x114.3 (5x4.5)
True Directional: No

The Tesla Model Y Wheel Guide

Tesla Model Y 19" Gemini Wheel:
  • Size: 19x9.5" Front & Rear
  • Offset: +45
  • PCD: 5X114.3
  • Center Bore: 64.1mm
  • Weight: 29.6lbs
  • Lug Nut Spec: 21mm Hex, 14X1.50 Thread
  • Lug Nut Torque Spec: 129lb-ft
  • Price: No Charge
  • Tire Spec: Continental ProContact RX 255/45-19 104W Front, Rear
  • Details: This is the base model wheel that comes with every Tesla Model Y free of charge.
Regarding vehicle load and weight ratings the Tesla Model Y Owner's Manual references the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating, Gross Axle Weight Rating (front), Gross Axle Weight Rating (rear) on the label affixed to the A pillar by the driver's door opening.

Example:

GVWR with the 255/45R-19 tires, Rim 19x9.5J: 5302 lbs
GVWR Front: 3004 lbs
GVWR Rear: 3606 lbs

The RAIJIN - Enkei wheels are under rated as far as load for the rear; 1540 lbs per wheel versus 3606/2 (1803 lbs per wheel)

Reactions: e645824 and gt2690b
The Tesla Model Y Wheel Guide

Tesla Model Y 19" Gemini Wheel:
  • Size: 19x9.5" Front & Rear
  • Offset: +45
  • PCD: 5X114.3
  • Center Bore: 64.1mm
  • Weight: 29.6lbs
  • Lug Nut Spec: 21mm Hex, 14X1.50 Thread
  • Lug Nut Torque Spec: 129lb-ft
  • Price: No Charge
  • Tire Spec: Continental ProContact RX 255/45-19 104W Front, Rear
  • Details: This is the base model wheel that comes with every Tesla Model Y free of charge.
Regarding vehicle load and weight ratings the Tesla Model Y Owner's Manual references the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating, Gross Axle Weight Rating (front), Gross Axle Weight Rating (rear) on the label affixed to the A pillar by the driver's door opening.

Example:

GVWR with the 255/45R-19 tires, Rim 19x9.5J: 5302 lbs
GVWR Front: 3004 lbs
GVWR Rear: 3606 lbs

The RAIJIN - Enkei wheels are under rated as far as load for the rear; 1540 lbs per wheel versus 3606/2 (1803 lbs per wheel)
Thank you for this!

Yep. But I think the issue is with width. I think Y goes 8.5"

I'll probably either start all over again and get another set of rims/tires for winter or do what I've done on every other ICE car I've owned and go with good all season tires that actually work in the snow.
Hey Mtnrunner, I have the exact same situation as you (have a set of Model 3 wheels and snow tires and getting a Model Y), just wondering how things worked out for you? It seems like the M3 wheels will clear the brake calipers and frankly I have a hard time thinking that the small differences in load rating and offset will make a notable difference? Under no circumstances would I be pushing the car when the snow tires are installed so I REALLY have difficulty seeing this as a problem!

Thanks for the update! I'm considering grabbing some TSW Pescaras for my Y and curious how yours have been holding up. Have you done any towing or carried any heavy loads?

Reactions: SpicyPaneer