Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y wheel options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
APEX VS-5RS IN-STOCK 🏁

For those with Tesla 19" Gemini, this is an easy and direct swap.
  • Re-use OEM tires and TPMS sensors
  • Save 10.4lbs unsprung weight per corner!
  • Increase range and performance.
  • Achieve better fitment due to lower offset.
Also available in 18" and 20" diameter.

B3322166-D08C-4502-B623-13B1159DE956_1024x1024@2x.jpg

THE LIGHTEST 19x9.5 direct plug & play wheel on the market for Model 3 and Model Y.
IMG_1247_1024x1024@2x.jpg

APEX VS-5RS 19x9.5 +29 in Brushed Clear - In-Stock ✅
APEX VS-5RS 19x9.5 +29 in Satin Black - In-Stock ✅

Please message or email [email protected] for any questions or inquires!

Danny

What are the wheel weights ?
18x9.5" ET29 APEX VS-5RS (19.1lbs)
19x9.5" ET29 APEX VS-5RS (19.1lbs)
20x9" ET34 APEX VS-5RS (19.6lbs)

Danny

APEX VS-5RS IN-STOCK 🏁

For those with Tesla 19" Gemini, this is an easy and direct swap.
  • Re-use OEM tires and TPMS sensors
  • Save 10.4lbs unsprung weight per corner!
  • Increase range and performance.
  • Achieve better fitment due to lower offset.
Also available in 18" and 20" diameter.

B3322166-D08C-4502-B623-13B1159DE956_1024x1024@2x.jpg

THE LIGHTEST 19x9.5 direct plug & play wheel on the market for Model 3 and Model Y.
IMG_1247_1024x1024@2x.jpg

APEX VS-5RS 19x9.5 +29 in Brushed Clear - In-Stock ✅
APEX VS-5RS 19x9.5 +29 in Satin Black - In-Stock ✅

Please message or email [email protected] for any questions or inquires!

Danny

I understand they are lighter which is good for handling, but is there any actual evidence of an efficiency gain? Not descriptions of how lighter-has-less-inertia, but actual tested evidence? Everything I know of says the efficiency is all about the aero covers and tire width. The inertia of spinning the wheel up is regained almost 100% as you slow down.

Reactions: SpicyPaneer
Isn’t weight just generally the enemy of efficiency?

The heavier the car, the bigger the battery to get the same range (compounding itself with the weight of the battery) or less range you get out of the same battery.

As evidenced by my loss of range when switching from 5 seater to 7 seater.

So one usually assumes the opposite is true too. That if you reduce weight, you can reduce battery to maintain range or keep battery and gain range.

Granted one is sprung mass and the other is rotating unsprung mass. Could be more because of that.

Isn’t weight just generally the enemy of efficiency?

The heavier the car, the bigger the battery to get the same range (compounding itself with the weight of the battery) or less range you get out of the same battery.

As evidenced by my loss of range when switching from 5 seater to 7 seater.

So one usually assumes the opposite is true too. That if you reduce weight, you can reduce battery to maintain range or keep battery and gain range.

Granted one is sprung mass and the other is rotating unsprung mass. Could be more because of that.

I'll believe it when someone presents hard evidence of a test with wheels that are 10 pounds lighter but inferior aero giving a net-win on actual vehicle range or efficiency.

Reactions: KJD and Teedub21
I understand they are lighter which is good for handling, but is there any actual evidence of an efficiency gain? Not descriptions of how lighter-has-less-inertia, but actual tested evidence? Everything I know of says the efficiency is all about the aero covers and tire width. The inertia of spinning the wheel up is regained almost 100% as you slow down.
Don't have any hard evidence as there are too many variables even if we were to do an A-B test.
Generally speaking, reducing unsprung weight is more efficient for stop-and-go driving compared to long distance highway driving.

From my personally experience with EV range, driving style and tire compound makes the largest impact on range and efficiency.

For Aero style wheels, we have options like these:
11-K1GvdJP_1024x1024@2x.jpg

Forgiato EV001 - 20" Forgiato E Vecolo EV 001 Wheel Set - Model Y
Forgiato EV002 - 20" Forgiato E Vecolo EV 002 Wheel Set - Model 3

Feel free to message or email me for any wheel specials!
[email protected]

Danny

Don't have any hard evidence as there are too many variables even if we were to do an A-B test.
Generally speaking, reducing unsprung weight is more efficient for stop-and-go driving compared to long distance highway driving.

From my personally experience with EV range, driving style and tire compound makes the largest impact on range and efficiency.

For Aero style wheels, we have options like these:
11-K1GvdJP_1024x1024@2x.jpg

Forgiato EV001 - 20" Forgiato E Vecolo EV 001 Wheel Set - Model Y
Forgiato EV002 - 20" Forgiato E Vecolo EV 002 Wheel Set - Model 3

Feel free to message or email me for any wheel specials!
[email protected]

Danny

Given that a Tesla recovers over 90% of energy from forward-momentum and angular-momentum... I just can't see how making the wheels lighter has hardly any impact. The physics just isn't there. The losses are at the contact patch with the ground, heating from flexing sidewalls, and mostly from air friction around the tire and wheel which is why aero-covers and the details of the tire are dominant.

You could make a stronger case for a non-electric car, where you dump the rotating inertia of the spinning wheel out the brakes on each deceleration cycle, but the Tesla doesn't have that issue, we almost ever use the brake pedal.

Search brought me to this page. Anyone concluded that if a stock 18" Model 3 Winter rim tire wheel could be put on Model Y LR? I am upgrading from Model 3 to Y in a month, and I have a set of Model 3 18" Winter wheel which has less than 10000KM on them (sorry Canadian uses KM instead of miles). If I sell the Model 3 with winter tires, it will give me not much value on it, and I need spend another 2000$ to purchase a new set .

Search brought me to this page. Anyone concluded that if a stock 18" Model 3 Winter rim tire wheel could be put on Model Y LR? I am upgrading from Model 3 to Y in a month, and I have a set of Model 3 18" Winter wheel which has less than 10000KM on them (sorry Canadian uses KM instead of miles). If I sell the Model 3 with winter tires, it will give me not much value on it, and I need spend another 2000$ to purchase a new set .
Yes:

-Danny

Reactions: gt2690b
I have Model 3 base aero wheels on my Model Y LR and yes they do fit well. But be aware that older iteration of the Model 3 aero wheels have a lower load rating than the newer ones. Ideally the ones you'd want would be from a newer Model 3, 2020 onward IIRC. This thread is the authority on the subject.